PDA

View Full Version : Tricking traffic lights?

hondafox440
11-11-2003, 05:21 PM
Has anyone heard that you can trick certain traffic lights (when they are red) into turning green if you flash your highbeams at them from a certain distance away? My friend asked the cop he was driving with while he took his driving test for his liscense, and the cop said it was true but wouldn't give him specifics. Anyone know the correct distance to flash them from?

AndrewRRR
11-11-2003, 05:27 PM
I thought most traffic lights used weight sensors mounted under the pavement, which is why sometimes bikes get stuck at a light until another car pulls up.

44oEX
11-11-2003, 05:28 PM
Sorry can`t help you but it would be nice to know

Would it only work if it`s dark ouside?

If anybody knows please tell us

killed300ex
11-11-2003, 05:30 PM
I know you can buy a thing that looks like a radar detector that will triger the lights to trn green just like what ambulances ect have. I have been told they are not illegal but i find it hard to beleif
killed

Ryan
11-11-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by killed300ex
I know you can buy a thing that looks like a radar detector that will triger the lights to trn green just like what ambulances ect have. I have been told they are not illegal but i find it hard to beleif
killed

Yes, they do have them. They are probably only legal to certain people. Like you mentioned, an ambulance driver.

hondarules
11-11-2003, 05:55 PM
yea id like to kno my self..i hate sitten at stop lights waitin forever..im gonna try the flickerin ur lights thing next time im out..ill tell ya the results

Guy400
11-11-2003, 05:56 PM
Some traffic lights, not all, use an infrared sensor on them. Police, Fire and ambulance crews have the transceiver in their vehicles that will turn lights green going their way. These devices are now being sold on eBay "to proper customers only" but mysteriously any of us can get our hands on them. There is legislation in the works as we speak to ban these devices from the private citizenry.

cudaman
11-11-2003, 06:01 PM
i know for a fact from experience you can flash your high beams at some lights to turn them green. there is no certain distance that i know of but i know its not real close to them. your lights have to be bright and have to be sort of angled up. if you get caught though you can get in really big trouble.

TheX1992
11-11-2003, 06:49 PM
i know some have motion sensors aroudn here mounted on top of them. like if its red for a while and you creep a few inches right away the other one turns yellow

Glamis400ex
11-11-2003, 08:00 PM
I think if those devises get into the wrong hands, it will be chaos in the streets. The Fire or Ambulance is on it's way to an emergency call, flashing their devise, while another person, who is late for a meeting is trying to change it the other way. I have a feeling this could get ugly.

Personally I think it's terrible that people would use these things for that purpose. I think we all agree that would be the case. People need to stop being so self centered and worried about me, me ,me and just get out the door 5 minutes earlier.

Just my take...Flame suit on...

Glamis

hondamxer161
11-11-2003, 08:35 PM
ive heard of motorcycle guys needing to put magnets underneat their ride to get lights to turn green?
i dunno about this much since i live in the boonies.

mike

hawiianpwr
11-11-2003, 08:39 PM
Traffic lights use a type of proximity sensor. Like a metal detector. The squares that you see cut into the concrete are the sensor coils that sensitive to metal. When you drive overtop of it the circuit closes, which starts the timing circuit sequence for the lights.
Hope thats helps:)

4wheelboy
11-11-2003, 09:19 PM
how come hawaii has interstate highways:confused:

JOEX
11-11-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by 4wheelboy
LOL! I think it has to do with Federal funding...

I have heard of the high beam trick years ago but just brushed it off as a myth.

I also belive the square outline at the intersections are magnetically activated, motorcycles have a hard time activating them due to their relative lack of metal.

Anyone hear of a 'loop hole' where motorcycles are allowed to go through a red light if everything is clear? I remember hearing something like this awhile ago. Maybe not true.

Joe

LazeR
11-12-2003, 12:15 AM
Yea the light flashign thing does work! but only on some stop lights....i was down in california at about 2 am driving and would be on the 55mph road and have stop lights that were red...so i flashed my lights and they would turn green, if i didnt they would stay red....might be coincidence but i doubt it! Not exactly sure how it works......also i heard that ambulances and cop cars get the lights to turn green by having there lights on, i guess it triggers the stop lights with some kind of light sensor

popo
11-12-2003, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by 4wheelboy

If you have been there you would understand. It's the largest car ownership per capita of all 50 states.

RoadkillerRyan
11-12-2003, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by popo
If you have been there you would understand. It's the largest car ownership per capita of all 50 states.

but interstate mean it that highway goes through 2 or more states, understand?

k2-dawg
11-12-2003, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by RoadkillerRyan

true. I quess it should be an "intrastate" then...

popo
11-12-2003, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by RoadkillerRyan

Ya, I understand youre grammer sucks. "it that highway"

CUZ'n
11-12-2003, 07:44 AM
dat popo is a COP:mad:

dat sombich bussed me an took my horsey:( dimebag wus da fasses der wus:grr:

XANDADA
11-12-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Glamis400ex
I think if those devises get into the wrong hands, it will be chaos in the streets. The Fire or Ambulance is on it's way to an emergency call, flashing their devise, while another person, who is late for a meeting is trying to change it the other way. I have a feeling this could get ugly.

Personally I think it's terrible that people would use these things for that purpose. I think we all agree that would be the case. People need to stop being so self centered and worried about me, me ,me and just get out the door 5 minutes earlier.

Just my take...Flame suit on...

Glamis

well said...

AndrewRRR
11-12-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by LazeR
Yea the light flashign thing does work! but only on some stop lights....i was down in california at about 2 am driving and would be on the 55mph road and have stop lights that were red...so i flashed my lights and they would turn green, if i didnt they would stay red....might be coincidence but i doubt it! Not exactly sure how it works......also i heard that ambulances and cop cars get the lights to turn green by having there lights on, i guess it triggers the stop lights with some kind of light sensor

So they instantly turn green, with no yellow before the red for the cars that had green going the other direction? Sounds like a recipie for disaster! I'll just wait 20 seconds for the light to change normally.

VIC
11-12-2003, 11:34 AM
Here in Cali some lights turn green if you flash your lights, but its not instant it does go threw yellow than red for the oppisite side then green for you, Its quick though. Most lights have sensors underneth which you can roll back and forth on, which will change the light quicker

hondafox440
11-12-2003, 01:54 PM

Your grammar isn't perfect either :o :cool:

JUSTINcredible
11-12-2003, 01:59 PM
he was quoting the other kid:rolleyes:

nacs400ex
11-12-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by JUSTINcredible
he was quoting the other kid:rolleyes:

Sometimes it's best to keep your fingers off the keyboard, when you have no idea what your talking about.

I hope you noticed he wrote "grammar" correctly.

popo
11-12-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by hondafox440
Your grammar isn't perfect either :o :cool:

No it's my spelling.

11-12-2003, 04:57 PM

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/mrt.gif

11-12-2003, 05:04 PM
No it's my spelling.

You need to put a comma after no.

hondafox440
11-12-2003, 05:20 PM
lol, I'm just bustin you popo :D

EXrider03
11-12-2003, 06:38 PM
there was just a law passed saying that if a motorcycle comes too a stop light, they are allowed too treat that light like a 4 way crossing because they arent heavy enough too set the sensors off. a cop told my uncle this so im shure its true.

hondarules
11-12-2003, 08:14 PM
well ive seen alot of motorcycles at red lights an they always wait till the light is green..ive never seen them treat it like its a 4-way either but i dunno u may be right..

4wheelboy
11-12-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by EXrider03
there was just a law passed saying that if a motorcycle comes too a stop light, they are allowed too treat that light like a 4 way crossing because they arent heavy enough too set the sensors off. a cop told my uncle this so im shure its true.

i realy doubt that:huh

popo
11-12-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by member
You need to put a comma after no.

No, It's my spelling.