PDA

View Full Version : 400ex electrical problem!!! help

Scott400EX
11-11-2003, 04:57 PM
My 400 will not start. I know its not the battery or the fuses.
Or the coil. The wiring has never been out if its factory covering.
When i turn the key on and push the start buttin all i get is an audible ("tick") that sounds like its coming from the starter switch (the round thing in a rubber boot right next to the battery towards the front of the quad)and left of the fuse box.

Does the starter switch on 400s wear out quickly. Ive had mine for since april 2002 and this is the first time its died on me.

i trieda friends CDI box so thats not it. Are there any other weak links in the 400 electrical system that i can look for or replace.

I really dont want to have to buy a new wiring harness unless there is no other way.

Scott

hondafox440
11-11-2003, 04:59 PM
Are you sure it isn't the battery? That sounds like a dead battery to me. None the less, get a multimeter, set it on DC, and start testing all connections starting at the starter button and so you can find out the faulty connection.

Scott400EX
11-12-2003, 05:06 AM
The battery checks out ok 12 volts.
the starter relay is working b/c i get a reading when i run the volt meter from the positive batt terminal to the starter.
Also when i connected the starter directly to the battery it did not work. things are pointing to needing a new starter.

any more opinions as to what is wrong?

KAWSAM62
11-12-2003, 06:23 AM
try puch starting it if it runs your problem is problee not major and check the ground wire to the frame make sure its clean you might not be getting full bat volts to the starter?:(

maxoutput
11-13-2003, 01:31 PM
mine did it a few times after it was washed, the next time it would click, but no start. smack the starter with a small hammer while holding the starter button. If it starts,its the brushes in the starter not making a good contact. Had mine rebult , much cheeprt then a new one.