PDA

View Full Version : XR400 cam re-review (drag race results)

RAPTORAZ
02-10-2002, 07:21 PM
For those that are interested I got to do a little drag racing today with my new XR400 cammed EX. My mods to date are:
XR400 cam
White Bros. air filter
Rev box
E-series S-bend slip-on(18 discs)
172 main jet
45 pilot jet
Needle moved up one notch
I raced a friend today that has pretty much the same set-up on his 400EX. Minus the XR cam and rev box, he also has a Pro Circuit T4 slip-on instead of an E-series. So we are pretty close. Before the cam we were a dead heat and now with my XR cam installed, from a dead start till I max out in fifth gear, I can put about 15 bike lenghts on him. How's that for an improvement?

Dave400ex
02-10-2002, 07:26 PM
That is a HUGE improvement. I can`t wait to Mod my Motor. My Dad won`t be laughing when I fly by Him on his little Raptor.

VegasEx'r
02-10-2002, 09:08 PM
How dod the mid-range feel w/ the new cam?

RAPTORAZ
02-11-2002, 05:38 AM
[i] My Dad won`t be laughing when I fly by Him on his little Raptor. [/B]

I also put my EX up against my piped Raptor. It is still no match for the big blue dinosaur. The EX can hold it's own till the top of 3rd. but after that the Raptor pulls away.

RAPTORAZ
02-11-2002, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by VegasEx'r
How dod the mid-range feel w/ the new cam?

The midrange and top end are a lot stronger. It will fully rev out in fifth gear now. It doesn't even seem like it lost much down low. I think I'm gonna gear it up next.

Dave400ex
02-11-2002, 01:59 PM
I didn`t think just a Cam on a 400EX would beat a Raptor. I`m going to do more than just a Cam though. I think I will get a TC 416 or 425 Piston Kit, TC XC Cam, and Some Day a FCR Carb. You should get a JE 416 Piston and a 39mm FCR Carb. That would add a lot of Power. Gabe said adding the FCR Carb added as much Power as adding the 416 Piston and XR Cam.

02-11-2002, 08:53 PM
did any of you do the mods in steps?

why I am asking is that I know there was a real big increase by doing the 440, silencer, K&N, jetting, and air box mods.

What I am asking is should I expect the same additional increase by doing the cam, port & polish, and new head pipe???

Mostly I know if enough people tell me yes I would pry the money from my wallet sooner.

I am currently working on updating the shocks suspension etc but allways like more power.

Thanx

Also any advise on what cam??

Dave400ex
02-12-2002, 02:10 PM
I would make sure your Suspension is all done before you go adding more Mods to your Motor.

02-12-2002, 02:44 PM
I'm doing the basic suspension first (should be done within 2 weeks) but I am working out the idea of which perf mods to make next.

I am currently trying to decide on which cam to go with and depending on that decision I may do the hard face rockers, stiffer springs, valves and port and polish or I may go budget and just do the cam and head pipe.

Thanx

Dave400ex
02-12-2002, 03:02 PM
I would get a TC, GT, Sparks, FST, or LRD Cam.

NJ300ex
02-12-2002, 03:40 PM
Don't get it ported unless you plan on getting a bigger carb in the future.

SporTrax400
02-13-2002, 08:35 AM
Hey RaptorAZ how about putting together a step by step guide on installing the cam. I would really like to do it but would like instructions before I start to tear apart the motor.

Thanks Greg

barbwire44
02-13-2002, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by RAPTORAZ
For those that are interested I got to do a little drag racing today with my new XR400 cammed EX.
I raced a friend today that has pretty much the same set-up on his 400EX. Minus the XR cam and rev box, he also has a Pro Circuit T4 slip-on instead of an E-series. So we are pretty close. Before the cam we were a dead heat and now with my XR cam installed, from a dead start till I max out in fifth gear, I can put about 15 bike lenghts on him. How's that for an improvement?

I dont want to start anything but,...I dont beleive adding an xr cam alone would put 15 bike lengths on another 400 that was a dead even race before the upgrade.I mean are you racing a quarter mile or 10 miles? I have raced plenty of 400's with exhausts, jet kits, rev boxes, pistons, cams, 440's, 465's, and have yet to see one with a mildly built motor even walk away from a stock one in a drag race. the xr cam is a nice drop in and makes a difference but the difference it makes is just a change in the way the power works in the 400ex, it isnt designed to be a hp increaser. that is why most people will add a high compression piston when they add the cam. They lose some low end with the cam but the higher compression piston makes up the difference. I am not trying to flame on youre post I just dont want to see someone drop down $150.00 bucks in a cam, and expecting there bike to lay black marks in mud.:D

Taco
02-13-2002, 06:37 PM
you can lay black marks in the mud? Awesome

02-13-2002, 06:46 PM
i have to get in this one....i have a 2001 400 w/fcr 39mm carb rev kit wb e series full system.i dropped 2 teeth on the rear sprocket one up in the front k&n air filter and hinson clutch basket.i haven't been beat by a stock banshee or a piped raptor yet.in a drag race atleast.my buddy has a 2002 banshee w/pro circuit pipes and he beats me every time once im in third gear...he gets me by 5 quads if not more.i need to get motor work done so i can shut him up...

02-13-2002, 06:51 PM
oh and sunday i raced a kid on a 400 and gave him a head start we couldnt get out of third but i passed him on a wheelie just for the fun.his 400 had an fmf exhaust and jet kit...

RAPTORAZ
02-13-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by SporTrax400
Hey RaptorAZ how about putting together a step by step guide on installing the cam. I would really like to do it but would like instructions before I start to tear apart the motor.

Thanks Greg

Sorry man, but a friend at work did the cam swap for me. He had already done a cam and 440 kit in his so I bribed him to do it. I could have done it myself, but the laziness factor kicked in.

RAPTORAZ
02-13-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by barbwire44

I dont want to start anything but,...I dont beleive adding an xr cam alone would put 15 bike lengths on another 400 that was a dead even race before the upgrade.I mean are you racing a quarter mile or 10 miles? I have raced plenty of 400's with exhausts, jet kits, rev boxes, pistons, cams, 440's, 465's, and have yet to see one with a mildly built motor even walk away from a stock one in a drag race. the xr cam is a nice drop in and makes a difference but the difference it makes is just a change in the way the power works in the 400ex, it isnt designed to be a hp increaser. that is why most people will add a high compression piston when they add the cam. They lose some low end with the cam but the higher compression piston makes up the difference. I am not trying to flame on youre post I just dont want to see someone drop down $150.00 bucks in a cam, and expecting there bike to lay black marks in mud.:D

I never would have guessed that my EX would have picked up as much as it did. I figured that it would have only picked up a bike lenght or two. But the fact is, that it was really more like 15 bike lenghts. We started from a dead start, and ran until I maxxed out in fifth. The distance was approximately 1/8 mile. We raced four times and the outcome was the same every time. And for the record, I'm about 40lbs. heavier than he is. I can't wait to race him again in the sand. As I spun badly coming out of the hole. I can't explain why my EX came out being as fast as it is, but it's the truth. Maybe I just hit the magic combo.