PDA

View Full Version : Pre-race energy???

dwcrash
11-11-2003, 09:34 AM
Just wondering if anybody takes anything before a race (thats legal) and what is it. I've heard also that taking aspirin before a xc race helps with arm-pump. Is this the best thing to use?

dirtmomma
11-11-2003, 09:50 AM
I drink LOTS of water the day of & during then I drink a Red Bull (it gives me wings LOL) for stamina & QJ told me to put Bengay on my forearms for arm pump I did that last race & it helped plus it kept me warm LOL

Pappy
11-11-2003, 09:55 AM
at a gncc back in april i believe i was standing with jeff from the quadshop and rick cecco. both damn fast in the woods and have no trouble finishing the race as fast as they started it.

pre race meal?

jeff = some cupcakes bradley300 had in his truck

rick= a nature bar

both did well during the race:p

spincr4hire
11-11-2003, 09:57 AM
bananas and orange juice along with a couple of asprin, lots of water the day before a race, too.

hondafox440
11-11-2003, 10:43 AM
Water the day of or the day before the race doesn't hydrate you like you think it does. To be properly hydrated for a race you need to start drinking A LOT of water 3-4 days in advance, as well as eating lots of fruits. No red meat the day of or before the race. Pedialyte, or any of those other children's "healthy" drinks actually hydrate you better than water does, but again you have to start days in advance.

YLW400
11-11-2003, 10:48 AM
One of the A riders in D-7 eats Cheese nips and drinks Grape Gatorade.....lmao And he won points this year...lol I tried it before a race, but it didn't help me:blah:

Jen696
11-11-2003, 11:47 AM
a diet high in carbs helps keep energy up. Keep well hydrated. But the biggest thing to avoid armpump is to control your breathing while racing. No holding your breath.
Easier said than done. Regulating your breathing helps calm you down and keep you focused while delivering much needed oxygen to your muscles.:devil:

Smokey
11-11-2003, 12:52 PM
Almost everyone who races out of the Duvall pits takes a pill either before they go to the line or on the line call Jackked. It is an energy pill that has alot of caffine and herbs in it so you have to have lots of water in you . It kicks in about half way through the race and and WOW . We got it from a local nutrition shop but you should be able to get something like it from GNC or some place like that .

BUCK442
11-11-2003, 02:39 PM
20 minutes of almost sleep in the back of Shepards Avelanche and Some greezy waffle house fixins...... This is typical if we dont have the motor home.

I usually always try to have a good pasta dinner the night before and a bowl of raisin bran with banana's for breakfast and a red bull. Then about thirty minutes prior slug down a bottle of Ultra Fuel, which has become hard to get, I had to get my gal Steph to hook me up with a case last year cuz I couldnt find it any more. Thanks Steph!

mikecole
11-11-2003, 02:54 PM
A HIGH ALCHOL AND HIGH CALORIE DIET WORKS BEST:D

1rancher
11-11-2003, 09:39 PM
The night before the last race at Haspin was Halloween and I pasted out about about 3am woke up at 5:30 and drove up there with about 2 1/2 hours sleep and we won the sport/ute class. I am going to have to try this more often.

exriderdude
11-12-2003, 07:27 AM
always take a pre-race dump;) :macho

bradley300
11-12-2003, 09:43 AM
pappy is right, mountain dew and fudge rounds all morning, i could go 6 laps!

monkeyboy
11-12-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
pappy is right, mountain dew and fudge rounds all morning, i could go 6 laps!

u pakkin fudgge:eek:

Pappy
11-12-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by monkeyboy
u pakkin fudgge:eek:

spincr4hire
11-12-2003, 11:06 AM
I always have to piss like 3 times within a 15 minute span before a race...I guess its nerves. Wonder if anybody has ever worn a catheder or a colostomy bag while racing..:o

QuadJunkies
11-12-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by spincr4hire
I always have to piss like 3 times within a 15 minute span before a race...I guess its nerves. Wonder if anybody has ever worn a catheder or a colostomy bag while racing..:o :eek: LOL!!!! no, but I have a friend who used his Camel Pak once.....:eek2: :o ;) tqke some Ibuprophen before a race,dirnk lots of water but not too much, if your not used to that, you may lose stamina doing a pee-pee dance on your seat!:eek: Ive heard that thing about holding your breath, and if I do anything, I breathe too much out my mouth,anyone here use nose drops so you dont breathe too much out your mouth ? Troy uses drops before races to open his air passage more along with Bengay and swears by it. I bet breathing too much out yoyur mouth would also cause arm fatigue from Hyperventilation

GNCC#829
11-12-2003, 11:37 AM
I always ate a PB&J sandwich or two before a race, it is easty to fix and it gives you energy for a few hours.

monkeyboy
11-12-2003, 01:52 PM
a good smocke heelps me:bandit: go fasss:muscle:

dirtmomma
11-12-2003, 01:56 PM
Man I don't know how you guys can EAT before a race!!! Thats one of my problems, I CAN'T eat cuz my stomach is flipping all over, I do try to force at least breakfast down on race day but not much more & YES spincr4hire I have the same problem seems like right before evry race it's like OH gotta go LMAO getting a little personal & probably TMI huh?!

I sike myself out too much probably:rolleyes: once I get a couple practice laps in I'm usually pretty good, my hubby has learned to not talk to me while I'm staging.....thats my ME TIME:huh then I do a couple good slaps on my helmet & I'm good to go!!!

YLW400
11-12-2003, 02:20 PM
I am rigt with you Spincr....as soon as I get too the stagin area, I am looking for bushes or a port a pottie to piss at...Budds, the bathroom is close, Easton, I have to hit the bushes...lmao

Martin Blair
11-12-2003, 09:09 PM
i were a camelback, didnt do anything for arm pump but i am goign to try some advil adn bengay for it, I also eat alot or bread the night beofre and the day over, high carbs, i usally have 2-3 turkey sandwichs and a gallon of water beofre the race on race day.

J-Nubs
11-12-2003, 10:01 PM
whats takin asprin do for u ?

airheadedduner
11-12-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by spincr4hire
I always have to piss like 3 times within a 15 minute span before a race...I guess its nerves. Wonder if anybody has ever worn a catheder or a colostomy bag while racing..:o
lmao, me too. I guess from all the water.

For arm pump I just do this excersise my brother showed me, he boxes which is hard on the forearms. Its called weighted punches. It is basicly punching with small dumb bells(8lb) in your hands. You don't fully extend the punch though, he says it works you harder. It works your forearms hard and develops a lots of stamina. 5 min of that is harder then a day of racein.

Smokey
11-12-2003, 11:57 PM
The asprin thins your blood slightly so it will circulate better . Arm pump comes from your arms getting soo tight that the blod flow is slowed . Best cure ???? Dont hang on so tight . Hang on with your knees not your hands . Your legs are much stronger and will last much longer . Hope this helpes everyone????

QuadJunkies
11-13-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
Man I don't know how you guys can EAT before a race!!! Thats one of my problems, I CAN'T eat cuz my stomach is flipping all over, I do try to force at least breakfast down on race day but not much more & YES spincr4hire I have the same problem seems like right before evry race it's like OH gotta go LMAO getting a little personal & probably TMI huh?!

I sike myself out too much probably:rolleyes: once I get a couple practice laps in I'm usually pretty good, my hubby has learned to not talk to me while I'm staging.....thats my ME TIME:huh then I do a couple good slaps on my helmet & I'm good to go!!! ROFL!! you crack me up!!:p I dont get hungry at all before a ride or race, Im too full of nerves!!! If anything last year when I done my first flattrack, when we were staging, I thought I was else going to throw up or pass out!:eek: Troy could tell through my helmet I as a little green..:o but as soon as we hit the throddle, ......it was gone......then when its over and my stomach has had time to uwind...... IM starved!

popo
11-13-2003, 05:43 AM
After some extensive research, I have found some interesting articles om the internet to aid in arm pump, energy boost etc.

Here is a list of products or facts that I have gathered.

Carb loading the day before a race, will not gain you any extra boost for the next day. Search carb loading on the net and you will find that 90% of marathon runners will do a three-day carb load. Example: no or little carbs Sun - Tues. Wed-Friday carb load to a moderate proportion.

Facts, eating just carbs the night before a race will actually have somewhat of an adverse affect. The blood system in your digestive track will deplete the consumed carbs & convert them as fast burning energy, wasting your stored fuel for the next day.

Arm Pump. I can attest in suffering the worst from this. Statements about breathing are correct. Holding on tight takes time to overcome and to tell your self to ease up, it does build up confidence, rather than thinking about the throbbing pain in your forearms. I take 3 potassium pills an hour prior to a race, rather than eating a bunch of bananas, which needs almost 2 hours to completely digest.

Traci Cecco was also a great resource in advising about not using Ben gay or a heat rub. Biofreeze is used by most professional athletics over icy hot etc. It instantly solved my problems with leg cramping & arm pump. I can't say enough about it.

Every one is different in how there bodies react to endurance. My biggest problem was lifting too much weights and getting bulked up with too muscle prior to racing GNCC. With causing an extreme amount of exhaustion ½ way thru races. Most of you should know, I was always moving out of your way.

With the assistance of Lazaurus Sommers I now ride a bike 7 days a week with the objective to loose the muscle mass and train my body for endurance rather than a short bursts of strength or energy.

Here are some great resources & to hopefully answers some of your questions.

http://www.gpush.com/
http://www.biofreeze.com/
http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/HQ/00385.html
http://www.motocrosstrainer.com

LS@GtThunder
11-13-2003, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by popo
After some extensive research, I have found some interesting articles to aid in arm pump, energy boost etc.

Carb loading the day before a race, will not gain you any extra boost for the next day. Search carb loading on the net and you will find that 90% of marathon runners will do a three-day carb load. Example: no or little carbs Sun - Tues. Wed-Friday carb load to a moderate proportion.

Facts, eating just carbs the night before a race will actually have somewhat of an adverse affect. The blood system in your digestive track will deplete the consumed carbs & convert them as fast burning energy, wasting your stored fuel for the next day.

Arm Pump. I can attest in suffering the worst from this. Statements about breathing are correct. Holding on tight takes time to overcome and tell your self to ease up, it does build up confidence, rather than thinking about the throbbing pain in your forearms. I take 3 potassium pills an hour prior to a race, rather than eating a bunch of bananas, which needs almost 2 hours to completely digest.

Traci Cecco was also a great resource in advising about not using Ben gay or a heat rub. Biofreeze is used by most professional athletics over icy hot etc. It instantly solved my problems with leg cramping & arm pump. I can't say enough about it.

Every one is different in how there bodies react to endurance racing. My biggest problem was lifting too much weight and getting bulked up with muscle prior to racing GNCC. Causing an extreme amount of exhaustion ½ way thru races. Most of you should now, I was always moving out of your way. With the assistance of Lazaurus Sommers I now ride a bike 7 days a week with the objective to loose the muscle mass and train my body for endurance rather than a short burst of strength or energy.

Here are some great resources & hopefully answers your questions

http://www.motocrosstrainer.com

Bicycle??? I thought I told you to use a Amish Unicycle.

LS

11-13-2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by LS@GtThunder

LS

He's a slacker...:o

popo
11-13-2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by LS@GtThunder

LS

If I can't ride a quad worth crap, what makes you think I can ride a one wheel gizmo?

Pappy
11-13-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Rico
He's a slacker...:o

http://www.ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/nutkick.gif

QuadJunkies
11-13-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by popo
After some extensive research, I have found some interesting articles om the internet to aid in arm pump, energy boost etc.

Arm Pump. I can attest in suffering the worst from this. Statements about breathing are correct. Holding on tight takes time to overcome and to tell your self to ease up, it does build up confidence, rather than thinking about the throbbing pain in your forearms. I take 3 potassium pills an hour prior to a race, rather than eating a bunch of bananas, which needs almost 2 hours to completely digest.

Every one is different in how there bodies react to endurance. My biggest problem was lifting too much weights and getting bulked up with too muscle prior to racing GNCC. With causing an extreme amount of exhaustion ½ way thru races. Most of you should know, I was always moving out of your way.

With the assistance of Lazaurus Sommers I now ride a bike 7 days a week with the objective to loose the muscle mass and train my body for endurance rather than a short bursts of strength or energy.

Here are some great resources & to hopefully answers some of your questions.

http://www.motocrosstrainer.com I think that was the same stuff my Chiropractor used on my Neck and back a few times. If so, I didnt persoanlly like it, but like you said,eveyone has something that works better for him or her than other things. I take Quanine for Lag crampos sometimes, and it works VERY fast, I wonder if it would be good for Arm pump????....:)

rookiex
11-13-2003, 05:49 PM
banana honey penut butter sandwich,....... seriously...

rowlrag
11-14-2003, 05:03 PM
A gallon of water a day, mountain bikin, and sleep in on Saturday:D

660bigdaddy
11-14-2003, 05:16 PM
i start working out in febuary. 3 days of strength. and 5 days of cardio. drink 1 gallon of water each day 3 days before a race. oatmeal for breakfast, and bananas 1-2 hours before the race. never tried energy drinks. saw a guy in my series drink 3 red bulls before a race. came in after the first lap, his arms looked almost purple from the arm pump. lol . now i'm working on my winter diet, oreo's and ice cream before i go to bed. 5-7 nights per week;)

Fat Possum
11-15-2003, 04:27 PM
Banana, Chocolate Powerbar, 2 Mega Men vitamins. 1 Red Bull, 1 Goody's headache powder, a Hardee's biscuit with cheese and ice in the camelback.
Celebrex for when those devil tree *******s get past my steering damper defense and bend my tie rods. (God bless the inventors of depo-medrol, celebrex, ibuprofen, polar fleece and those little hand panty glove liners.)

QuadJunkies
11-15-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Fat Possum
Banana, Chocolate Powerbar, 2 Mega Men vitamins. 1 Red Bull, 1 Goody's headache powder, a Hardee's biscuit with cheese and ice in the camelback.
Celebrex for when those devil tree *******s get past my steering damper defense and bend my tie rods. (God bless the inventors of depo-medrol, celebrex, ibuprofen, polar fleece and those little hand panty glove liners.) ROFLMGDFAO!:p I think that about covers it!!!!!!:D

RIDER11X
11-16-2003, 12:52 AM
Not to say I got it mastered, but I have recently been altering my riding style to accomodate recently aquired astma. I found that I can now run faster longer with better riders by reducing my physical exertion level. You may think I'm full of it, but this really works well, you just have to really pay attention to your riding style like it's under a microscope. There are ways to compensate in your style to keep your body from working so hard, and save energy for the burst. I guess this is what people refer to as riding smooth, as opposed to riding with a style that has you doing needless movements that is draining you of precious energy. I can apply this to XC racing, but not MX as I am no MX'er, I just practice it enough to keep pace on XC tracks. Smooth MX'ers rythem everything, while D &C class guys slam the faces of jumps I guess.
As for food before the race, I believe in adequate but minimal. And NO SWEET drinks, as those will make me hurl as soon as I start pushing hard. Water is my friend!
AND, I totally agree with all that get the prerace #1 and #2 feelings! I thought it was only me! They do go away for me when the gate drops, but it really gets you wondering!:D

ledofthezep
11-17-2003, 12:21 PM
Celebrex for when those devil tree *******s get past my steering damper defense and bend my tie rods. (God bless the inventors of depo-medrol, celebrex, ibuprofen, polar fleece and those little hand panty glove liners.)

I thought Celebrex was arthritis medicine!:rolleyes: Is it time to move from the quad to the walker or what!:confused: haha:p I have some myself actually...doc gave it to me for swelling in my hand when I broke it.;) I didn't even take them all....still have them in my truck actually....:o

LTandRaptorider
11-17-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
:eek: LOL!!!! no, but I have a friend who used his Camel Pak once.....:eek2: :o ;) tqke some Ibuprophen before a race,dirnk lots of water but not too much, if your not used to that, you may lose stamina doing a pee-pee dance on your seat!:eek: Ive heard that thing about holding your breath, and if I do anything, I breathe too much out my mouth,anyone here use nose drops so you dont breathe too much out your mouth ? Troy uses drops before races to open his air passage more along with Bengay and swears by it. I bet breathing too much out yoyur mouth would also cause arm fatigue from Hyperventilation

Bock bock what???!! He pissed in his camelback? :eek2: Hmmm... is he also known as needle d*ck the bug f*cker? :devil:

Breathing correctly is definitely important. I find when I haven't ridden for a while and out of shape, I tend to hold my breath too much. I only drink water, eat light before a race. For some reason I've never been bothered much by nerves before a race... just too stupid, I guess! I'll have to try the aspirin and Ben Gay before a race.

400grl
11-17-2003, 07:59 PM
Through trial and error, I have found several things that were causing my arm pump, and now no longer really have to worry about it.

Energy pills - I used to take them before a race, and sometimes take them before I work out, but I found that if they have ephedra in them, they will constrict your blood vessels - this of course just exasperates the entire arm pump problem! Boy - they give you some energy, but I don't care if I can't hang on! :) So....no more ephedra energy pills for me! I haven't tried any of the ephedra-free ones yet before a race - that will be my next experiment!

Handlebars! This one came as a total surprise!!! I was running +3 a-arms and had ATV bend Renthal bars. Since I sold my 440, I am running stock width a-arms on my Banshee and I have Pro-Taper Fatbars on a +2 1/2 steering stem - these bars are an inch longer on each side than my old Renthal's.....I have discovered a wonderful thing called LEVERAGE! I should have had these wider bars on my 440 a long time ago. Here I was trying to muscle around +3 a-arms with little bitty bars!!!

Baby Aspirin! I take the childrens chewable about 20 minutes before my moto - the kiddie aspirin are absorbed VERY quickly into your system - I like them so much I just keep a bottle in my purse all the time - good for quick headach relief, too.

As for eating....I usually can't eat the morning before a race. But my good luck food is PIZZA the night before!!! Then if I can choke down an energy bar in the morning before a race, I'm good. Lots o water - always!

And - like a Pavlovian experiment gone terribly wrong - as soon as my moto is announced I have to pee like a race horse. Never fails. I can be walking out of the porta-john and still have one foot in and hear that announcement, and it's like I've been holding it for 6 hours!!!! I have learned to just deal with it - as soon as the gate drops it's the farthest thing from my mind!

VIGILANTE MAN
11-18-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by exriderdude
always take a pre-race dump;) :macho

Pre-race dump is a must. Needing to take a serious crap half way through a race is not a good feeling.

MojaveKing
11-18-2003, 07:20 PM
good info guys:)

user101
11-18-2003, 07:34 PM
i just try and drink water,milk,cool-aid,gatorade with every meal. i dont get arm pump,leg pump, or anything during a race. i just get really sore the day after a race. then i try and rest as much as possible.