PDA

View Full Version : so little money; so much to do!!!!!

EXDUNER127
11-11-2003, 08:48 AM
What advice does anyone have?
I have a 400ex full exhaust, air filter, no choke, and i want more power but dont have much money to spend, what can i do for some more power like piston, cam, port & polish etc.
Something i can do that will let me add to it when i get more money, but i am going to the dunes for thanksgiving and i dont want to be left behind.....at least some more power for duning!
Give me a couple of alternatives, and any noticable gains you guys have experienced. Thanks!

EXDUNER127
11-11-2003, 09:00 AM
what about boring out stock carb? any good in doing this, i have heard about it, but nothing of gains. What do you get out of just high comp piston?
Or can you just add a cam? like an xr400 cam....

cals400ex
11-11-2003, 09:33 AM
i would just get a 10.8:1 compression ross or je piston with a hotcam. i would get stage 1 if you do more trail riding and a stage 2 if you want more in the upper gears. the piston is $120 and the cam is $125. the cosmetic gasket kit is $40. boring my cylinder out 1mm (a 406) cost me $90 at my local dealer. this will give you much more power than your pipe, filter, and jetting gave you. if your low on money, just wait for the port and polish. i have also been told that the fcr carbs will give a lot of power, but i would do the cam/piston first. make sure your jetting and gearing suits your riding style. this will help keep up with other bikes. good luck