PDA

View Full Version : rear caliper trashed exhaust!?

400exvet
11-11-2003, 08:26 AM
I just put on one of those adjustable rods that lowers the back about 3". I also added some wheel extenders. WOW what a difference. I typically race Harescrambles and do not need the width, but I went riding at a MX track with the extensions and the lowering and the difference was unbelievable! But, after landing a couple of big jumps, I noticed that the rear caliper is eating away at the Pro Circuit T4 muffler. It looks like I could add a spacer to the exhaust to get it to clear. Or, I could adjust the rod so it doesn't drop it so far, but then that defeats its purpose. I need the lowering especially for the Razr2 22x11x9 harescramble tires. Or, is there another trick out there? Oh, it also trashed my air box! I also need to modify my skid plate for those harescrambles. Sorry for the babbling! Thanks for any help.

300exOH
11-11-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by 400exvet
I just put on one of those adjustable rods that lowers the back about 3". I also added some wheel extenders. WOW what a difference. I typically race Harescrambles and do not need the width, but I went riding at a MX track with the extensions and the lowering and the difference was unbelievable! But, after landing a couple of big jumps, I noticed that the rear caliper is eating away at the Pro Circuit T4 muffler. It looks like I could add a spacer to the exhaust to get it to clear. Or, I could adjust the rod so it doesn't drop it so far, but then that defeats its purpose. I need the lowering especially for the Razr2 22x11x9 harescramble tires. Or, is there another trick out there? Oh, it also trashed my air box! I also need to modify my skid plate for those harescrambles. Sorry for the babbling! Thanks for any help.

This is why they recommend you NOT jump with the lowering kits. The lowering kits are intended for flattrack. Sounds like you really need some zero preload shocks instead.

K_Fulk
11-11-2003, 08:39 AM
I would take it off. If you want your rear end lower i would get some zps shocks. Its alot cheaper then having to replace your break disk, caliper, pipe, and airbox.

Also when i had one on mine, the chain chewed on the inside of the subframe pretty good.

QuadTrix6
11-11-2003, 09:17 AM
this is what you need :devil:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&postid=827054#post827054

400exvet
11-11-2003, 11:35 AM
your right! but my racing budget will not allow such a costly purchase right now! how much for just the rear?

K_Fulk
11-11-2003, 08:28 PM
The cheapest route would probly be to have santo revalve what you have.

400exvet
11-12-2003, 06:56 AM
please excuse my ignorance.... I'm sorta new to the understanding of the aftermarket shock world. when you say revalve, does that alone make the quad sit lower? do you lose travel to gain the lower stance? or would revalving keep the shock from bottoming out? would I still leave the lowering bracket on? I notice on some quads that they sit normal height until the rider sits on it and then it really sits low. I thought that had to do with the stiffness of the spring. either way, I am looking for the cheapest way to lower the back of the quad! thanks for any help!

K_Fulk
11-12-2003, 09:51 AM
It depends what kind of revalve you have done. If you get a zero preload conversion, they have a small spring on top that lets it sag.

You can get your stck rear converted and you would use the stock linkage.

You cant get stock front shocks done, there non rebuildable. But if you picked up a cheap set of works shocks or something else you could get them revalved to match.

I would stay away from jumping with the lowering strut, I had mine the same size length as stock and it would bottom out on very small jumps.

400exvet
11-12-2003, 10:50 AM
I have decent front shocks (WP's) I don't know what they are valved for. I just bought them on EBAY and then had them serviced with new seals and oil. They are adjustable but I don't know where to adjust them to. I just leave them in the middle. So, I send my stock rear shock out to get a "zero preload conversion"? Then, I take off my new adjustable lowering strut, replace the rear shock and I'll be set? What other information does the shock builder need? Is there some trick to setting up shocks for both XC and MX? Other than having a set for each$$$$$$ remember, Iam lowww budget. Thanks again for the info. I hate not knowing about things that I am spending money on and relying on the honesty of the shop. Most are honest but others will take you for a ride! About how much should the zero preload conversion cost? should I have anything else done to it while out?

4wheelboy
11-12-2003, 03:37 PM
if u race both mx and xc get them valved for mx. they mite be alittle stiff in the woods but it will feel alot better on the track;)

K_Fulk
11-12-2003, 06:14 PM
You should have both set up the same. I cant tell you what the prices will be for sure. Ask around.

muff
11-12-2003, 07:43 PM
elka rebuild from the quad shop is a little over $330 i think

and you think your exhaust is bad??? look at mine :mad:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid83/p8419ffe8e302a223bcfb60c9a83e4ee2/fad5a8f1.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid83/p91dafaea7fe07a4ab4fbabb1599331f9/fad5a885.jpg

Moded86R
11-13-2003, 08:35 PM
I wish I could post pics.My 250r silencer and my 300ex exhaust both have biggo dents where the brake caliper hit them.

I agree,I wouldn't jump with a lowering strut.Even though it is a cheaper alternative to aftermarket shocks or to resetup your stocker.Sometimes cheaping out only cost more in the long run.

Chef
11-13-2003, 08:43 PM
I put my extended swingarm back on and picked it up as far as I could get it with the link, and my axle nut dents the bottom of my silencer.:o

muff
11-14-2003, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by Chef
I put my extended swingarm back on and picked it up as far as I could get it with the link, and my axle nut dents the bottom of my silencer.:o

yea, but are you sure the shock really goes down that far?

airheadedduner
11-14-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by muff
yea, but are you sure the shock really goes down that far?
Mr R did the same thing as chefs ex. Can't figure out what else could have hit it. I also ended up breaking my aluminum airbox, shock linkage was hitting it.