PDA

View Full Version : Is this worth persuing?

D11NR
11-11-2003, 08:19 AM
I'm thinking of starting my own business. I would be picking up and delivering quads, 3 wheelers, dirtbikes you name it.
It would be in an enclosed trailer and the Items would be insured while in my possesion. I see alot of post's with the ???
can you deliver or can you ship? This made me think of it, and is just a thought so I need some input as to whether it
would be a good investment to make. I need to know what and how to charge ( by the loaded mile or flat rate or? )
and any other details. Before people start asking me to pick up stuff, Im just contemplating this and want to make
sure I'm looking at it from all the angle's.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

atl855
11-11-2003, 08:26 AM
a compant calle dforward air will ship quads and bikes, just for your info but it sounds good , just think it will bw a lot of wear on your ride

hondafox440
11-11-2003, 08:27 AM
I don't think it is that practical. What if someone in Maine wants a quad in California? Thats over a week of driving. Places like Forward Air or a division Allied Van Lines ship quads and bikes cheaply, and it takes less than a week for things to get cross country.

remlapr
11-11-2003, 08:30 AM
Probably wouldn't work unless you are very centrally located on the east coast. You would also need something that could haul the quads\bikes but still got very good mileage. I don't know - you would definately have to market it as a "white glove" service meaning that you would take much greater care then the other big shipping companies. You could maybe make it work hauling really nice Harley's and custom choppers more then quads because the "white glove" service would appeal to them more.

Badger_Skid
11-11-2003, 08:40 AM
I think it's good idea, you can still pick and choose who you deal with. You could show pics of how things are loaded and the extreme measure to make sure you ride gets there in one piece. Someone wants one in Cali from New York you can still turn them down. Just do the ones you want to right now. I've loaded bikes onto trucks and have seen them on the other end look like someone took then riding and sent them over a hill.

I have my own business, never, never listen to people who are negative about your ideas. Be realistic, I agree, but positive. See what's out there and go for it, too many people never try something new. Better to try and fail than to never try at all. My grandfather would have kicked my butt if he knew I could do somehting on my own and didn't do it because I was scared to fail.

Colonel Sanders, the chicken guy, tried selling his recipe over a thousand times before going into business himself.

Good Luck,

416exmx
11-11-2003, 12:41 PM
i have a 2003 20' enclosed trailer for sale you could start with...:D

i shipped a quad fron southern IL out to CA and it was like $550 or something like that. not a bad price really. that was picked up at my door and delivered to his door...just thought i would give you an idea on what some companies charge for distances.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
11-11-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by 416exmx
i have a 2003 20' enclosed trailer for sale you could start with...:D

i shipped a quad fron southern IL out to CA and it was like $550 or something like that. not a bad price really. that was picked up at my door and delivered to his door...just thought i would give you an idea on what some companies charge for distances.

D11NR
Not trying to take anything from under you
416exmx I asked you a while back what you wanted for your trailer and never got a response.

D11NR
I think you have a good Idea, I also think that you have to be selective on locations so you are not traveling from the east to the west coast that could be very expensive gas wise. I also like the white glove idea.

D11NR
11-12-2003, 05:12 AM
Thanks for the info guys:)
atl855-I am aware of forwardair, and the wear and tear isnt an issue, just a reason to keep buying new:D

hondafox440- I dont plan on driving coast to coast, just the local states and see how it goes, coast to coast would suck.

remlapr-Location is Indiana and the white glove thing has got my attention:D

Badger_Skid-I dont really listen to the negatives:D and do plan on atleast trying it, I will pick and choose the ones I want.

416exmx-Gonna pass on the trailer:D I delivered a trike to Long Island for about the same money and had a blast doing it.

Silverfox@C&DRacing-I did think about the trailer:eek: