PDA

View Full Version : Here it is... what we all have been waiting for. red vs. blue!

holeshot19
11-11-2003, 05:19 AM
has a thing or two to say about the red monster

ATC83
11-11-2003, 06:24 AM
After reading the article my worst fears have been realized it sounds like the Honda is more of a sport bike the a closed coarse racing bike like the Yamaha. I had a bad feeling that Honda was going to do this. We can only hope that they improve the bike in the future.

Pappy
11-11-2003, 06:27 AM
well i look at it this way. if it competes with the yammy in stock form...it shouldnt have a problem after we get some of the normal mods on them.

cody anderson
11-11-2003, 07:20 AM
http://********.com/kory-ellis/moto4trxoryfz1112-03.htm

FourFiftyFour
11-11-2003, 08:59 AM
look at that nice texas track! :D

I havent ridden the YFZ yet and I cant wait to ride the 450r... id like to ride one of each othe same day and see which one Id like the best....... but like it says... everyone has their own opinion..... I think Yamaha and Honda did themselves proud on both quads

400exrules
11-11-2003, 09:29 AM
i think the honda is more up to beat with the YFZ then everyone thought

remlapr
11-11-2003, 09:49 AM
Hate to say it, but it sounds to me like he likes the YFZ better and was trying to not piss Honda off.

Pappy
11-11-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by remlapr
Hate to say it, but it sounds to me like he likes the YFZ better and was trying to not piss Honda off.

very wise assumption grasshopper:)

exriderdude
11-11-2003, 09:54 AM
he didnt want to say either one was better because he didnt want to piss off either company;)

js52589
11-11-2003, 09:59 AM
yep just seemed like a run around review in the end... we'll see though... soon enough :p

Pappy
11-11-2003, 10:01 AM
ok here is my honest take on the new honda.

i hope the yammy is a touch better. i hope honda gets a sick feeling in thier gut about it also. then maybe they will build and sell the quad they WERE going to release;)

wilkin250r
11-11-2003, 10:07 AM
That was one of the dumbest articles I've ever read.

"Blah blah blah new Fox gear blah blah crazy driver picked us up from the airport. Blah blah raining blah blah but the track wasn't muddy! Blah blah Tim Farr like Luke Skywalker blah.

Oh yeah, and we rode the new Honda."

Was he writing an article about the new Honda or about Fox Racing gear? Or maybe it was just a weather report. The "comparison" at the end looked almost like an afterthought. He probably submitted the article, and they sent it back saying "Hey, you didn't write anything about how the Honda compares to the Yamaha!" so he just stuck it there on the end.

11-11-2003, 10:19 AM
i think they are almost equal very nice quads but the yamaha is probably a little better. i think the real question is just like he said ford or chevy?. i think the honda probably runs a little better but that is what honda is famous for.. running strong and running long. :macho

RIjon
11-11-2003, 10:48 AM
I wanna know what Quad Honda 'WAS' going to release ?:confused: ?

Pappy?

cody anderson
11-11-2003, 10:51 AM
All I have to say is I am a proud owner of a pimp YFZ450.

11-11-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by cody anderson
All I have to say is I am a proud owner of a POS YFZ450.

:eek:

You think your yammi is a POS..:eek2:

Chanman420q
11-11-2003, 11:24 AM
lets face it the YFZ is a better quad and yamaha did there homework. Now lets not be stuck up little honda owners and except that. We all know deep down inside we all want a YFZ just a little more than that new honda

cody anderson
11-11-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Rico
:eek:

You think your yammi is a POS..:eek2:
i think your a POs Rico!

remlapr
11-11-2003, 12:20 PM
Hey Cody - Are you going to be getting your shot at some seat time for ATV Sport? When?

Pappy
11-11-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by RIjon
I wanna know what Quad Honda 'WAS' going to release ?:confused: ?

Pappy?

lets just say IT IS out there;)

wilkin250r
11-11-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
lets face it the YFZ is a better quad and yamaha did there homework. Now lets not be stuck up little honda owners and except that. We all know deep down inside we all want a YFZ just a little more than that new honda

I don't know if I would go so far as to make that generalization. Six months after the Raptor came out, everybody was saying it was the biggest baddest thing out there, way better than the 400EX. Then more people got to ride it, and realized that Yamaha put a great big motor on a unicycle, not to mention the tranny problems. But it took a while for all that to come out.

I'll agree, it looks like Yamaha did their homework. I'll agree, on paper I like the YFZ better than the 450r. However, I'll reserve final judgement until I get some seat time.

cody anderson
11-11-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by remlapr
Hey Cody - Are you going to be geting your shot at some seat time for ATV Sport? When?
Well, I guess I've been having it for about 5 years now... I just had a shoot with them on Friday. It is extemley nice to work with them!

RiPPiNiTuP7
11-11-2003, 01:11 PM
im surprised....honda usually builds nicer quads than that:(

11-11-2003, 01:12 PM
i think your a POs Rico!

IF i had feelings Cody i think you woulda hurt them with that comment....:(

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/stonedsmilie.gif

MXcutie
11-11-2003, 01:13 PM
I have always liked Korys write ups they are so blunt and to the point but i still have to say GO WITH YAMAHA :devil:

RIjon
11-11-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
lets just say IT IS out there;)

Damn you Pappy :mad:

Care to be a bit more specific for my 'notpayingattenti0ntoallthequadstuffreallycloselya ss'

;)

cody anderson
11-11-2003, 01:22 PM
IF i had feelings Cody i think you woulda hurt them with that comment....:(

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/stonedsmilie.gif
Rico, I love ya like a brother man. I can't say enough good things about you! No really though, your good chit!

remlapr
11-11-2003, 01:25 PM
Cody - I meant on the 450R specifically. Do they have anything setup for you yet?

cody anderson
11-11-2003, 01:31 PM
I forget...:confused:

foxracingpredat
11-11-2003, 02:33 PM
so far the yammi seems better and the honda is reallllllyy uggglyyy..i would never buy anything that looks that bad

Dale512
11-11-2003, 02:36 PM
Thats cool, they seem very evenly matched. Just as I suspected and just as the dirtbikes are.

sparky450AR
11-11-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
im surprised....honda usually builds nicer quads than that:(

lmao

i guess HONDA will be my chevy....and ill keep the broke fords in the back yard

Bretmd94
11-11-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by sparky450AR
lmao

i guess HONDA will be my chevy....and ill keep the broke fords in the back yard

exactly. I had an 01 Raptor. They are worthless bikes. The value on them has gone down a ton.

I like how he said the TRX is better for taller people. (im 6'3). In the end for racers both quads will probably be extremely close in performace. Once you widen them up, put your own shocks on there as well as exhaust and whatever motorwork you want; the bikes will be very similar.

Look at it this way, the trx is more comfy to ride so it will probably be rated higher by dirtwheels..... Oh wait the YZF450 has elec start. That will probaby be the deciding factor. DARN.

The only decent review is one that you do yourself on both the bikes, or one done by someone you know who wont be biased. Kory is looking for a ride, hes not going to say anything bad about either bike.

Guy400
11-11-2003, 03:41 PM
Blah...another poorly written review that doesn't give you the meat and potatoes. Ellis made sure to throw in (about 5 times) the fact that he ordered new FOX gear and also threw in the fact that Farr is a factory based rider implying that he isn't. Was he writing a review on the new Honda or was this a covert resume that he's submitting to Yamaha for his own factory deal? He told us nothing of any value here. I don't think any of us question the fact that the YFZ is going to be a faster quad in a straight line. However, these Butt-o-Meter reviews don't speak to me personally at all. I want the two quads in totally stock form and then two more modded similarly and then the same set of riders riding both. After the riders get well acclimated to both quads I want lap times and other data-- not this "I feel Quad A was faster even though Quad B is 500 miles away..." garbage.

cody anderson
11-11-2003, 03:47 PM
I think you write the story... I mean what does Kory Ellis know? He's only trying to get what ever other f'in racer on the planet wants... a factory ride. So until you are on the verge of signing with Yamaha or Honda... Let Kory write the story. Hey that rhymed...:p

cheetah
11-11-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
Blah...another poorly written review that doesn't give you the meat and potatoes. Ellis made sure to throw in (about 5 times) the fact that he ordered new FOX gear and also threw in the fact that Farr is a factory based rider implying that he isn't. Was he writing a review on the new Honda or was this a covert resume that he's submitting to Yamaha for his own factory deal? He told us nothing of any value here. I don't think any of us question the fact that the YFZ is going to be a faster quad in a straight line. However, these Butt-o-Meter reviews don't speak to me personally at all. I want the two quads in totally stock form and then two more modded similarly and then the same set of riders riding both. After the riders get well acclimated to both quads I want lap times and other data-- not this "I feel Quad A was faster even though Quad B is 500 miles away..." garbage.

WHO LET THE DOGS OUT!!!:blah:

cody anderson
11-11-2003, 03:53 PM
I don't get it? Dogs?

Guy400
11-11-2003, 03:58 PM
I'd be just as skeptical if Farr wrote a review. Ellis wrote a "review" on the new Honda quad. Did he give us any sort of detail on power delivery? Detail on suspension? Handling? How balanced did it feel in the air? Did it ever feel twitchy? If so, what kind of terrain were you on? Were the stock tires too grabby, too slippery? We got no detail on this quad at all. I know more about Ellis' riding gear than I do about this new quad and the point of this article was to deliver information about the TRX450R.

This isn't a bash on the YFZ either. I'm sitting on the fence right now contemplating which way I want to go. All I'm asking for in these reviews is to provide some real test data to back up claims.

jb500ex
11-11-2003, 03:59 PM
the dirt bikes aren't evenly matched, 80% of people like the crf better. read any dirt bike mag

cody anderson
11-11-2003, 04:00 PM
Valid point... Try and see Kory's too. He wants Honda OR Yamaha to help him out. You have to admit you would play your cards safe too.

BigAl
11-11-2003, 04:01 PM
go fly a kite.

Guy400
11-11-2003, 04:04 PM
Valid point... Try and see Kory's too. He wants Honda OR Yamaha to help him out. You have to admit you would play your cards safe too. I do see what Kory is trying to do and that's what makes it so aggravating as a consumer. I can guarantee you that if Honda offered him a factory deal 2 hours before his test ride the results would be much different. As an enthusiast of this sport and a potential buyer I want real reviews written by someone who doesn't have their future at stake.

ralph2
11-11-2003, 04:04 PM
ok here is my honest take on the new honda.

i hope the yammy is a touch better. i hope honda gets a sick feeling in thier gut about it also. then maybe they will build and sell the quad they WERE going to release;)

when "he" told us about it i was wetting my pants it sounded so good....

jb500ex
11-11-2003, 04:05 PM
you must have a yzf!

BigAl
11-11-2003, 04:15 PM
If you read the reveiws, you will find they pick one bike over another for very trivial reasons.

And in the most recent review I read, they stated plainly, that the dealer that you have the best relationship with should have more to do with the decision, than how they rate the bikes.

I would call that pretty evenly matched.

I hope the TRX is better than any other quad ever built, now or in the future. (sarcasm )

In fact, the last review I read (Dirt Rider I think), their favorite was the 2004 YZ 250 2-stroke.

Chanman420q
11-11-2003, 04:16 PM
ive ridden a yzf450 and the power is insane, but i havent ridden the crf so i dunno, but the hit that thing has is amazing:eek2:

11-11-2003, 04:28 PM
lets just put it this way...electric start is prolly the main reason i went with the yamaha...if the trx had electric start..i would be quadless right now

Moded86R
11-11-2003, 04:29 PM
Or course I am like most of you and I haven't riden either one.

I am a die hard honda fan.I love them.I can't really tell you why.I have had more problems with my 300ex than most people have with there yamaha's.Then again I have had a 95 warrior catch on fire and burn because of the wiring harness that Yamaha built.

Right after the YFZ came out.I went down to the local yamaha shop and watched a guy ride riding the new 450.That bike is amazing.He would come out of the corners and nail it.The bike was a rocket.And it was stock!

Of course I care about reliability.No one wants a bike they fix more than they ride.I would definitly trade performance for a little reliabilty any day of the week.

Then again i ask myself why am I picking up a 2002 400ex tommorow?I guess that's because it's a honda.

I guess I am a hondaholic.

wilkin250r
11-11-2003, 04:33 PM
I know more about Ellis' riding gear than I do about this new quad

I can guarantee you that if Honda offered him a factory deal 2 hours before his test ride the results would be much different.

I couldn't agree more. The only useful information I got out of the whole article it to make sure I pack a sweatshirt if I'm going to Texas...

jb500ex
11-11-2003, 05:14 PM
if you read the magz, they have called the crf the bike of the year three years in a row,

jb500ex
11-11-2003, 05:16 PM
oh yeah ive ridden the yzf also my brother has had one since they came out, definately a great bike. but i also know countless people that have the crf and that is what you see at the track now, probably ten to one

jb500ex
11-11-2003, 05:26 PM
i definately think kory is a yammi guy, if you go back to his review article on the yfz he said no one could build a better quad than the yfz including honda. as soon as farr was announced as a team honda i predicted ellis would be next for yammi. i am still suspicious if him, i think there might be ties there somewhere

jb500ex
11-11-2003, 05:30 PM
i also know mickey dunlap is on this site, and im pretty sure he has ridden both, and i have been waiting for him to give us info. so come on ,mick, give us a little info

Guy400
11-11-2003, 05:53 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79964

Tommy 17
11-11-2003, 06:00 PM
thats the stupidest review i ever heard...

i agree with guy 100%

all i get from that review is kory talkin up his sponsers and tryin to get a factory ride from yamaha...:rolleyes:

400EXrider#91
11-11-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by jb500ex
oh yeah ive ridden the yzf also my brother has had one since they came out, definately a great bike. but i also know countless people that have the crf and that is what you see at the track now, probably ten to one

a crf hybrid and a semi stock yfz 450 are ALOT different. :o just run your mouth till the trx comes out. it MAY be better but, mx (where it is made to run) is 75% rider and 25% bike. well will see, i have no problem saying that the trx may beat my yfz, but when someone says something like the trx WILL beat the yfz and they are not even proven. that just pisses me off

not pointing a finger at anyone but i hope you get my point, i think you can understand

Tommy 17
11-11-2003, 06:22 PM
jb500ex is talkin about bike corey... not quads...

the bike world is 100% differnt then quads for one fact... rider support... i know all my friends rode suzuki for one reason... amateur contengency... it had nothing to do with which bike they felt was better... it was how much money suzuki gave them every race they won... u never use to see the hondas at the track bc they didn't have any rider support for amateurs... i'm pretty sure they now do with the crf... and thats why u see alot of them... yes yamaha has the rider support but if its anything like back in 1999 and 2000 it didn't help u out at all...

i know guyz who use to get alot of money from suzuki for winning...

markeg192
11-11-2003, 07:24 PM
Unless you ride like him I don't see what it matters what he likes or rides. I would guess 90% of the guys on this site would be as fast or even faster on a 440EX.

11-11-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by markeg192
Unless you ride like him I don't see what it matters what he likes or rides. I would guess 90% of the guys on this site would be as fast or even faster on a 440EX. i dunno about that spud...my 416 was pretty fast..but i feel im faster on this..and im more confident

PHIL_B54
11-11-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Bretmd94
Look at it this way, the trx is more comfy to ride so it will probably be rated higher by dirtwheels..... Oh wait the YZF450 has elec start. That will probaby be the deciding factor

wrong, the z400 has reverse and will win the shootout:blah:

Martin Blair
11-11-2003, 08:50 PM
i think the honda will be good, and not have azny problems, and keep up with the yammi just fine, and be very very reliable, i also think it will be a bit more cummfy, but in all seroius ness yammaha has been the 4stroke king for a while now and unless hond relases pappy "what the should have" bike i dont think the honda will quite meassure up, i love honda, and would buy the honda first, but i think that the yammi will have more power.

hsr
11-11-2003, 08:51 PM
I wouldn't rely on what Kory Ellis has to say about the new Honda. You guys are right... he's just trying to play it safe and not jeapordize his career but being biased to either one brand or the other. If i were to make a general assumption on which one of these to quads has the edge, from these forums it sounds like the YFZ could be the better of the two. But then again, how many of us have actually got the chance to ride the Honda? I've also noticed that a bunch of the guys at Hetrick Racing are going to be on YFZ's next year, and most of them seemed to be die hard 250r guys. It's all going to come down to personal preference. Granted, Yamaha hasn't been all that successful when it comes to building a good atv in the past, but they have to start somewhere, seems as if the YFZ has been a pretty damn good start. Im not bashing the Honda im just bummed that it isn't everything that i think all of us wanted it to be. But hell , when it comes down to a decision i'll prob still ride red. :p

11-11-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by hsr
I wouldn't rely on what Kory Ellis has to say about the new Honda. You guys are right... he's just trying to play it safe and not jeapordize his career but being biased to either one brand or the other. If i were to make a general assumption on which one of these to quads has the edge, from these forums it sounds like the YFZ could be the better of the two. But then again, how many of us have actually got the chance to ride the Honda? I've also noticed that a bunch of the guys at Hetrick Racing are going to be on YFZ's next year, and most of them seemed to be die hard 250r guys. It's all going to come down to personal preference. Granted, Yamaha hasn't been all that successful when it comes to building a good atv in the past, but they have to start somewhere, seems as if the YFZ has been a pretty damn good start. Im not bashing the Honda im just bummed that it isn't everything that i think all of us wanted it to be. But hell , when it comes down to a decision i'll prob still ride red. :p

kory ellis just lies and lies, he said all that stuff about cannondales then switched to a z 400 said same stuff then yfz said saaaaaaaaaaame stuff no honda nad saaaaaaaaaaaaaaame stuff, id taking sleeping catfish word over his

AlaskaSpeed
11-11-2003, 09:51 PM
i definately think kory is a yammi guy, if you go back to his review article on the yfz he said no one could build a better quad than the yfz including honda. as soon as farr was announced as a team honda i predicted ellis would be next for yammi. i am still suspicious if him, i think there might be ties there somewhere

Ok, maybe it's just me; but I don't see you guys being happy til a review comes out that you agree with. It's as if you need validation or something?....
I, for one; don't need anyone to tell me that I made the choice that was right for me in purchasing the YFZ. I made an informed choice based on research, watching them perform on the track in my class, etc. Why would someone's opinion that I have never met matter?
If you ask me, you guys need to put less time into the worrying about whether or not the TRX is going to be superior to the YFZ and more time enjoying the hobby/sport we all share in......:o :cool: JIM...signing off to get a drink......:D

jamiesel
11-11-2003, 10:48 PM
Felt like a dirt wheels reveiw to me... OK... how do we write this so that everyone knows we are important without risking anything at the same time. BLAH... we need to ride them ourselves.

Woody_YFZ
11-12-2003, 01:00 AM
I think Kory Ellis nailed it on the head. Do you want 6 or a half dozen? I think they both have their strengths and I'm sure the TRX will be (is) a great bike. The only thing I was disappointed to hear was that the TRX has the higher center of gravity, cornering is pretty important in racing.

Wingnut
11-12-2003, 05:26 AM
I learned almost nothing from it either. The only things I learned is that the TRX has a higher center of gravity, and the GYTR YFZ is faster than the HRC. Are either of those a big surprise? The TRX has a larger gas tank and the shocks are mounted higher, so ,unless some of the Honda engineers can defy physics, of course it will have a higher center of gravity. And as far as power, the GYTR YFZ has a real exhaust not just some baffle replacement plus a 15 pound weight reduction.

ATC83
11-12-2003, 07:00 AM

The reason you see CRF450's 10 to one at the track is that the power band of the CRF is much more friendly to amatures. The YZ450F power band hits so hard that you need to be a professional racer to utilize it. People buy CRF's because they are mello power so they can puts around on the trails on them. All the magazines agree that wheather it's the YZ250F or YZ450F these bikes poweer bands are designed for full on motcross only. The only maazine that means chit in the motocross world is Motocross Action and the rated the the YZ250F and YZ450F motocross bikes superior to both Hondas CRF250 and CRF450. In the latest issue of Dirt Rider magazine (probably the most pathetic dirt bike magazine ever produced) they described the YZ450F's power band as "to powerful" well I don't know about you but I will take the bike that is to powerful any day of the week. Motocross Action tested the 2004 CRF450 two months ago and they said that Honda is trying to get there engine up the the performance of the Yamahas. They said that Honda has been "Yamaha-izing" the CRF450's engine. Lets face it everyone out there is chasing the Yamaha four stroke engines power. It shouldn't come as a surprise Yamaha has four years of addiitonal development time. I'm sure one day the power band of the CRF's will be up to the Yamaha's but it's not there yet.

cody anderson
11-12-2003, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by freeride132
kory ellis just lies and lies, he said all that stuff about cannondales then switched to a z 400 said same stuff then yfz said saaaaaaaaaaame stuff no honda nad saaaaaaaaaaaaaaame stuff, id taking sleeping catfish word over his
yeah, of course he is going to do whatever he can win on and get paid on. I would too.

Pappy
11-12-2003, 07:06 AM
yeah, of course he is going to do whatever he can win on and get paid on. I would too.

so basically we shouldnt listen to anyone that tells us a quad is good or bad if they are in a position to benefit from the results of a rider evaluation. gotcha;)

exriderdude
11-12-2003, 07:25 AM
so basically we shouldnt listen to anyone that tells us a quad is good or bad if they are in a position to benefit from the results of a rider evaluation. gotcha;)

thats exactly right....seriously

rtyfz450
11-12-2003, 07:39 AM
who cares what Ellis or anyone for that matter has to say, Buy the quad you want based on your opinion of the two. I like Ellis he is a great racer and I hope that he gets a full factory ride, by the way he is not some yamaha junky like some people, he races both a cfr and a yfz in the pro class. He has not ridden his crf latley because he knows where the future is and that is in a factory bike not some hybrid monster that cost more than my truck! I liked his article but it was obvious that he was holding back because he has to, I don't know why that makes everyone so upset if you don't like it don't read it. I believe that both will be eqaully matched, there will be some advantages to the honda and some to the yami. If you are too dumb to realize that this is a good thing for the sport then you need to pick a new hobby. The compition will bring more innovation and change and we won't see "cool new graphics" each year. Look at the cfr450- it has had soo many major changes for 2004 that it is ridiculous, why is that???/ hmm maybe because honda wants to keep riders on there side of the fence because look at what is on the other side- yz450 just as competitive and just as hungry for a win.
I just can't wait for kawisuki's answer to honda and yamaha then you will really see some competition especially with Doug Gust riding it:devil:
Then maybe we could concentrate on other things like KEEPING OUR RIDING AREAS AND TRACKS OPEN no we wouldn't want to do that:rolleyes:

cody anderson
11-12-2003, 07:47 AM

No, that's not what I am saying. Thats what everybody thinks...When I give a report to a mag, or just some person that asks me my honest opinion of a quad, I tell them the flat out truth. Either I like it, hate it, or there are good things and bad things about the quad. Which usually the case. Every quad has good and bad things about it. I think what this comes down to is color preferance! Both of these quads are great! There is no doubt about that.

Insider
11-12-2003, 07:55 AM
after reading what should have been a well written article from a high ranking atv racer i feel mr. ellis should finish high school and take a few classes on how to properly write an article. i honestly thought my 10 year old brother wrote that.

and i bet his rear end is sore from sitting on the fence about which atv has more to offer us. someone send him a set of tweezers to help get the splinters out of his bum.

XANDADA
11-12-2003, 07:59 AM
edited as to not offend others:

I didn't like that article

rtyfz450
11-12-2003, 08:03 AM
just keep on bashing ellis, I hope you never meet him on the track or anywhere because he will had you your ***. he is not a writer by the way he is a racer if you are too stupid to decipher that out

Insider
11-12-2003, 08:05 AM
then he should ride not write

rtyfz450
11-12-2003, 08:10 AM
please what a dumb reply, could you think of anything that is original, I don't see you writing articles and testing quads for magazines maybe because you actually need to be good at something to report about it. go ride a tricycle or something.:rolleyes:

Insider
11-12-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by rtyfz450
please what a dumb reply, could you think of anything that is original, I don't see you writing articles and testing quads for magazines maybe because you actually need to be good at something to report about it. go ride a tricycle or something.:rolleyes:

and i dont see a future for ellis in writing articles either. if you are of his stature then atleast get a competent person to review it. do you think everyone on the internet and rides atv's is stupid enough to dismiss a poorly written article?

you bashing me only proves that you have nothing to defend the article besides hostility. glad your on his side, i prefer IQ over brawn.

XANDADA
11-12-2003, 08:14 AM
just keep on bashing ellis, I hope you never meet him on the track or anywhere because he will had you your ***. he is not a writer by the way he is a racer if you are too stupid to decipher that out

Edited as not to offend others, hopefully:

I'm not bashing Ellis just expressing my views about an article he wrote and tried to use a little humor while doing it. If ya ask me how he rides, I'd say darn fast....how he writes editorial reviews, I'd say could use a little more work. He wrote it & published it, I just critiqued it. He's more than welcome to critique my racing ability should I somehow share the track with him someday. I can promise his review would not be pretty. peace

I again emphasize peace bro

rtyfz450
11-12-2003, 08:25 AM
comparing a racer to a monkey and calling him a highschool dropout really takes some iq and what have you said that takes more than a high school edumacation,(spelled incorrectly for satire), to write? I saw nothing wrong with his article except it lacked polish and information pertaining to certian elements of the performace of the trx450r. Beside no one takes internet articles as professional works that need to be reviewed and scrutinized by professionals. he is just writing his column on what he thinks and his experiences, like I said don't like it don't read it.

cody anderson
11-12-2003, 08:29 AM
I agree. Kory is probably the nicest pro-class racer there is. I met him last spring in S.C. for the kfx 700 intro and (EDITED BY SGA) is that guy funny! Ellis is a racer, not a writer. Give him a break...

Pappy
i read the article and yes i was disappointed. i figured we might get a good review either way. i learned along time ago that just because your fast on a quad doent make you fast in the head:devil: :blah:

if thats the best ellis could do ...thats the best he could do.

rtyfz450.....you will be better served by this website by not attacking members that dont agree with you. your arguements wont win any fans based on bashing people.

This is all i've read the entire thread --------------->http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/blahblah.gif

monkeyboy
11-12-2003, 08:32 AM
This is all i've read the entire thread --------------->http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/blahblah.gif

i agreee wit ricoos

wtf iz all dis jibberish bout:confused:

daay boffa a POS ta mee:rolleyes: i gitttin a bansheee :bandit:

rtyfz450
11-12-2003, 08:35 AM
Ok I get it, it's ok when they do the bashing on someone that cannot defend themselves yet I can't attack their character, good policy,whatever you say though it your forum, *cough, bias, *cough.

Also I am not looking for a fan club or a following I just like reading information and continuing to learn more about my favorite sport.

Pappy
11-12-2003, 08:37 AM
ellis is free to respond on his own accord. noone at this website is preventing him from posting.

i dont fully agree with all the comments but i can see, after reading the article , where people would form a negative opinion based on his literary prowess.

rtyfz450
11-12-2003, 08:46 AM
Ok I agree but Ellis is not one to frequent this forum unless he lies low and uses a sudonym, highly unlikley. :rolleyes: I just see those attacks as unnessasary bashing and before those posts I said nothing about it. If they said; Ellis' article doesn't do it for me or they don't agree with it or they don't like it but to call him a highschool drop out or compare him to a monkey is just wrong. why even take the time to analyze it so deeply, it is just a fun column not some professional work and by the way i have seen less in most of the mags by the real writers:rolleyes:

Pappy
11-12-2003, 08:52 AM
id agree that its just in fun if it wasnt proposed as his review of the 450r. we have editors and contributing editors on this site that post frequently and even in a thread that is supposed to be full of non sense thier education follows them.

i have nothing against ellis...but the top riders in the country are going to have to realize that as the sport grows they will have to be much more professional then in the past. just look at nascar and how the drivers have been transformed from hayseed plowboys to outright stars. not that we will ever reach nascars level but in principal its the same.

XANDADA
11-12-2003, 08:58 AM
lol, Please don't think I called him a monkey. I said he wrote like I imagined the exrider's member named monkeyboy would write the article. I tried to be humerous and failed miserably. I didn't mean it as an attack. I edited my posts to be more politically correct. Peace bro...

wurrCRAZY
11-12-2003, 09:26 AM
I like reading Korys articles. I thought that last one was kinda funny. Some of you just need to think about it. They are just for fun and its not cool that you guys b*tch about the review... I mean if you were in his shoes you would play it safe also. Both quads are awesome. its just going to be your personal preference. I would be happy w/ either quad but I did some research and I picked the YFZ. I figured the yamaha would be the better quad for me. I am extremely happy w/ my yfz and I know if I had a honda I would be happy also.

cody anderson
11-12-2003, 09:48 AM
"rtyfz450.....you will be better served by this website by not attacking members that dont agree with you. your arguements wont win any fans based on bashing people.

I also agee with this...

cody anderson
11-12-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by monkeyboy
i agreee wit ricoos

wtf iz all dis jibberish bout:confused:

daay boffa a POS ta mee:rolleyes: i gitttin a bansheee :bandit:

I m rit ther withh u monkee boye! banshheez rulz! dey the fasast for wheella eva bilt cuz they gots 2 of evrything! 2 pips, 2 carbz, 2 cilinderrz, 2 pistonz! dis meanz 2 mor timz da hors powr!

cody anderson
11-12-2003, 09:55 AM
:confused:

rtyfz450
11-12-2003, 09:58 AM
like I said, not looking to start a fan club :rolleyes:

monkeyboy
11-12-2003, 10:14 AM
like I said, not looking to start a fan club :rolleyes:

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/Spammer.gif

Doibugu2
11-12-2003, 10:26 AM
http://www.ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/ttis.gif

rtyfz450
11-12-2003, 10:27 AM
lol, why can't I post what I think just like he posted what he agrees with? never mind I probably won't get an answer I can read, by the way not bashing just see your other posts.

Insider
11-12-2003, 10:31 AM
the description on this picture at the other site say's they look frustrated. i think a more fitting caption would be "will someone take ellis away from me...PLEASE":devil:

http://********.com/images/farrellistrxtxsit03.jpg

11-12-2003, 10:35 AM
Them boyz look like they could use a bottle of clear eyes, a mountain dew and a couple twinkies...:huh

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/bong.gif

rtyfz450
11-12-2003, 10:36 AM
lol:devil:

Pappy
11-12-2003, 10:38 AM
lmfao....farr looks like he was being hit on by ellis. rotflmao

i know its just the picture but its a great one for some photoshoping:devil:

rtyfz450
11-12-2003, 10:43 AM
I know Farr is just cold in the picture but it looks like he is being abused :devil:

Pappy
11-12-2003, 10:44 AM
I know Farr is just cold in the picture but it looks like he is being abused :devil:

and it looks like ellis is "fondling" that cup in a menacing manner:bandit:

rtyfz450
11-12-2003, 10:46 AM
lol i don't want to go any further but good one pappy:D

Doibugu2
11-12-2003, 11:04 AM
That is pretty funny.

Korry: Tim, let me use this cup as an example, if you stick it in slow, it won't hurt to bad.

Tim Far: Yes Korry, I understand, but it's just so big!:eek2:

Guy400
11-12-2003, 02:44 PM
Is this the new Fox gear I heard so much about:D

I want to clear up my statements in this thread. I was not bashing Kory's grammar, spelling, use of the English language, etc. I was upset by the total lack of information in his article and the subtle, yet obvious, overtone of "Farr has a factory ride and I do not." I understand Kory's position and his desire to lock down a factory deal but if he can't objectively deliver a review of a new quad, nevermind the manufacturer, than his articles aren't worthy of even publishing. The argument of "if you don't like Kory's review, don't read it" is pretty thin. I've got to read it in order to draw a conclusion, good or bad. I certainly can't read it, ascertain whether or not I like it and then subconsciously ignore it if I didn't like it.

wilkin250r
11-12-2003, 03:49 PM
I would never attack Kory Ellis' ability as a rider. However, even if he were here on the forum, or even face to face, I would tell him that his "review" is completely bogus. He mentions his Fox Racing gear more than he mentions the 450R.

He should have sold his article as a soil report about the amazing dirt in Texas that doesn't get muddy when it rains.

From a literary standpoint, the article was written perfectly. There were no misspellings, gramatical errors, problems with punctuation, or run-on sentences. However, most people read reviews to get USEFUL INFORMATION, and his article is sorely lacking.

TCracin440ex
11-12-2003, 03:55 PM
did anyone fail to mension....that if kory didnt like the 450r why in the hell did he ride it so much....as i read in the article that they rode the hell outta them Rs....seems like they had to beat kory off of it with a stick...also...kory has been gettin his *** stomped for a long arse time....he had that nasty z400...got beat, the 250R got beat, he still aint won shyt in the pro class on the crf 440....i bet kory envy's tim because tim got a factory sponsorship...and what does kory got....and like guy400 said...if kory woulda been offered a sponsorship from honda b4 the ride...he woulda been all over hondas knob...i dont think yamaha is gonna give kory a factory sponsorship any ways...i can see zuki giving gust a factory sponsor ship...and honda givin farr one....but i doubt yamaha will give it to kory even if they do give 1...and far as the hrc kit and the gtyr..yea the gtyr kit is gonna be better...they actually have a real exhaust...not an end cap mod...if honda had an actual exhaust...then it would even um up more.......

btw....the pic of kory and farr.....kory looks like he smoked up b4 he came to the track...lmao...he looks bent out the frame

AlaskaSpeed
11-12-2003, 04:22 PM
Damn....are you guys still crying about this stupid review? I don't get it, does this review change whether or not you either were or weren't going to buy the TRX450R? I just can't see the big deal here, it's very simple to understand....if in fact Ellis is wanting a factory YFZ ride. Honestly, all I hear is how the magazines are full of $hit all the time on this and every other forum, so where is the big shock about this one review? You guys really need to move past this and buy the damn quad.....ride the wheels off it and be done with it.....:o :D

VIC
11-12-2003, 05:15 PM
http://********.com/evaluations/hondatrx450r11-03.htm

this one gives a bit more detail about the quad and less about the gear

TCracin440ex
11-12-2003, 05:17 PM
yea i was looking at that a few mins ago....its got some awsome pics in that section

TCracin440ex
11-12-2003, 05:23 PM
http://www.atvconnection.com/atvconnection/Community/Chat/Honda-TRX450R.cfm go here for soem bad arse pics

jb500ex
11-12-2003, 06:08 PM
atc83, if you watch races and see what the expert class guys are buying it is the crf, i also went to 3 ama motocross races, unidilla. broome tioga, and southwick, most of the privateers were riding the crf, and if you look at a dyno of the two bike the crf pulls earlier and longer has a higher peak and always ahead of the yzf. the yz has a hard hit in the middle because it has no low end, and it is not faster. it like a banshee feels real fast when it hits but you will still lose to a cannondale, or raptor or whatever. so go look up a dyno, and ask people who race them.

TCracin440ex
11-12-2003, 06:15 PM
amen...but we are talking about QUADS.......the crf 450 motor and trx 450r motors are 2 different motors...they look alike...but looks can be deceving

TCracin440ex
11-12-2003, 06:19 PM
i mean i can tell your die hard red rider...you sound like me...keep red...but the crf 450 and the trx 450r arnt the same

AlaskaSpeed
11-12-2003, 06:32 PM
atc83, if you watch races and see what the expert class guys are buying it is the crf, i also went to 3 ama motocross races, unidilla. broome tioga, and southwick, most of the privateers were riding the crf, and if you look at a dyno of the two bike the crf pulls earlier and longer has a higher peak and always ahead of the yzf. the yz has a hard hit in the middle because it has no low end, and it is not faster. it like a banshee feels real fast when it hits but you will still lose to a cannondale, or raptor or whatever. so go look up a dyno, and ask people who race them.

Hmmm...I have to call BS on that last statement....not that drag racing is my thing, but YFZ's are pulling holeshots all day long against Raptors, Dales, whatever...as you put it. The TRX and YFZ are too close to call...and you can throw the Cannondale in the mix with them. Those are the cream of the crop that you'll see on the tracks for now...not over-bored air cooled dinosaurs......:rolleyes:

jb500ex
11-12-2003, 06:34 PM
i know they are different. im on the phone with my bro right know and i want to kill him. he's saying he knows someone that knows someone that was at that test ride and they cancelled their order for the trx450r, they were dissapointed. BUT HE HAS A YZF450

jb500ex
11-12-2003, 06:35 PM
AND I DO LOVE RED

jb500ex
11-12-2003, 06:42 PM
my overbored air cooled machine has lasted 5 years and is in great shape. more than i can say for any 5 year old yammie. and i bought a banshee 2 months before my 400 ex sold it 1 year later and it does not exist anymore

AlaskaSpeed
11-12-2003, 07:06 PM
my overbored air cooled machine has lasted 5 years and is in great shape. more than i can say for any 5 year old yammie. and i bought a banshee 2 months before my 400 ex sold it 1 year later and it does not exist anymore

Well...judging by your statements earlier, you are far from an expert on anything having to do with judging a quad's performance......JIM

jb500ex
11-12-2003, 07:07 PM
i guess anyone who goes out and buy's a yfz450 is

AlaskaSpeed
11-12-2003, 07:13 PM
i guess anyone who goes out and buy's a yfz450 is

There's a stupid statement right there...:o I am the one saying they are going to be too close to call. I also see many YZF450 dirtbikes racing every weekend and doing quite well. JIM

jb500ex
11-12-2003, 07:17 PM
they definately do well. and the quad is a great bike, im just want to know where this myth started that the yz bike is faster then the crf bike (not quad). i know the quads are different motors i just started replying to someone else that was talking about the bikes

TCracin440ex
11-12-2003, 07:19 PM
yea i do agree with alaska....them 2 bikes will be pretty much even...and what 1 dont ahve the other will have....so its a tit for a tat....its like trying to split a hair...only thing i can say bout the yfz is dont put kick start on it..no auto decomp release and it will be a ***** to start

11-12-2003, 07:20 PM
i say well go read the bible, come back tomorrow and make friends:o

jb500ex
11-12-2003, 07:21 PM
the majority of people are on the crf's and it is doing better than the yzf, and next year it will be the first 4 stroke to win the 250 class in the ama motocross series ( ricky carmichael). and the first factory backed quad team to win since back in the day (tim farr) in the gnc's

jb500ex
11-12-2003, 07:24 PM
the yzf is a great bike, i hate it my brother is a yammi guy and im honda we go back and forth constantly so im use to getting into it over this stupid subject. it is fun though

AlaskaSpeed
11-12-2003, 07:28 PM
they definately do well. and the quad is a great bike, im just want to know where this myth started that the yz bike is faster then the crf bike (not quad). i know the quads are different motors i just started replying to someone else that was talking about the bikes

Ok...well...I apologize for jumping your $hit then...:o I just am so tired of the whining over the TRX when it hasn't even been released yet. It's going to be a damn good quad, just as the YFZ is too....:macho

AlaskaSpeed
11-12-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
yea i do agree with alaska....them 2 bikes will be pretty much even...and what 1 dont ahve the other will have....so its a tit for a tat....its like trying to split a hair...only thing i can say bout the yfz is dont put kick start on it..no auto decomp release and it will be a ***** to start

Ya know, from the people I have talked to that have already put a kick start on the YFZ; they say it starts easier. You can actually get more starting power from kicking than electric. I will be putting the kick on mine once I get all my other mods installed....JIM

TCracin440ex
11-12-2003, 07:34 PM
yea alot of 440ex's have that problem....the starter not got the arse to turn over a motor wiht like a 12:1 or a 13:1 compression ratio...

jb500ex
11-12-2003, 07:50 PM
i had the 440 with 13:1 j:e until this year i never actually had a problem with it turning over, even in the cold, but i am looking forward to kick start

TCracin440ex
11-12-2003, 08:01 PM
never had ne problems with my 400ex i think what it was is people had their 400ex for a while n had ran the battery down and tortured the e start and when they bored it....the e start couldnt handle ne more....thats why i like kick start....people abuse the E start too much...like they stop and shut off hte bike then start it back up then ride a lil ways then shut it off then start it back up...that shyt is crucial on a e start...lol when i used to have my 250x id never cut that bioch off untill i finished my days worth of ridding

jb500ex
11-12-2003, 08:12 PM
absolutely

rtyfz450
11-12-2003, 08:42 PM
I put a big bore (440) on my 400ex and ported and polished and all the usaully stuff and it has always started fine. I have had the kit for a year and a half and never had any problems except for the head bolts coming loose because of the extra compression. we retightened and it runs as reliable as it did before. my Yfz starts really easy with the electric and so does my dads z, even with the hotcams and it runs really good. I have heard from multiple people with the 13:1 compression piston and the kickstart that it is really easy to start. I would also say that it would be easy to add the decomp lever off a yz if it didn't but it doen't look like you need it. However I never abused my e we always ride for extended periods and I never ride 15 min and turn off then repeat. The only thing I like about having a battery and e-start is I put HID lights on my bike and they kick butt In the dunes at night I can see everything.:devil: for racing however it is totally unnecessary unless you are riding at night and then all you need is a big stator and light lites lol

11-12-2003, 08:46 PM
I learned a lot in the few days I spent with the mighty Honda TRX450R, for starters it's everything that the racing community has been wishing for since 1990 It is a far cry from the joke that was the 400EX, it's not your typical OEM solution of stuffing a ten year old motor in a mediocre chassis, it's a well thought out, solid ATV.

How does it compare to the YFZ? In my honest opinion, I think it's a little stronger in stock form, and it handles more predictably. Would I go so far as to say that riders would have any sort of advantage on one machine over the other? If so, it wouldn't be by much, a competent rider could win a championship in any class aboard either machine. As for me, I'm a little less than competent, I need all the help I can get, so I'll be riding Red.

i think kory ellis was sucking up a lil because yami helped him out, this jorge guy is a....

Woody_YFZ
11-13-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by AlaskaSpeed
Ya know, from the people I have talked to that have already put a kick start on the YFZ; they say it starts easier. You can actually get more starting power from kicking than electric. I will be putting the kick on mine once I get all my other mods installed....JIM

Same thing I've heard from kickstart YFZ owners. Doesn't need a hot start. Either way, choose a color, you'll be happy. Buy one of each, that's what I'm going to do. I personally don't want to kick it over, I hate kicking over my sisters Banshee and yes, they're easy to start, but so are Banshee's. To each his own.

ATC83
11-13-2003, 06:17 AM

I guess the myth got started when Motcross Action, Dirt Bike and Dirt Rider magazine all said that the YFZ450 was faster. Dirt Rider magazine went so far as to say that the 2004 YFZ450 has "to much power". I guess that I would rather have the bike that makes "to much power".

11-13-2003, 03:21 PM
I skipped the last 8 pages i'm just wondering if there's belly achin goin on still about a quad that hasn't even been released to the public..:confused:

I think there both POS's.....:blah:

cody anderson
11-13-2003, 03:29 PM
LOL Rico, I am henestly laughing here! That's funny.

jb500ex
11-13-2003, 04:03 PM
hey atc83, so when team yamaha was finishing 30 seconds behind windham it was because their bike had too much power. once again i say go look up a dyno chart. and those mags that you claim that say the yzf is faster are the ones that say the honda is faster. they all say the midrange hit is to much. not the overall speed. the only team honda guy to race the crf every week was windham he took almost every holeshot and was at the top almost every race and would have won if not for the greatest racer on the planet. go look up the dyno then come back

hsr
11-13-2003, 04:34 PM
Comparing factory bikes and stock bikes is like comparing apples and oranges. Windham's 450 is a far cry from a stock bike, along w/ the yamaha. If you've ever seen Carmichael's CR250 in action, it doesn't even seem like a motorcyle. It runs so perfectly and flawlessly that it's hard to comprehend. :blah:

jb500ex
11-13-2003, 04:42 PM
i go too atleast 3 races a year and this year he had a hard time with windham, and it was noticable. windham always got the start and ricky had a hard time catching up. and remember windham was on alot of bikes before and never nearly that good. he looked like a new man. put it this way ricky had such a hard time racing that bike that he is switching to it for the outdoors, if you cant beat it get it. although he did beat it, just not so easy.

Guy400
11-13-2003, 04:50 PM
There's no way Windham's bike is any faster than a stock piped CRF. At least that's what I'm to presume because the rumor I hear on the Yammy boards is that Honda has already tapped as much horsepower out of the CRF powerplant as they can that would mean there's no additional horsepower in Kevin's bike.

Oh yeah, the chicken or the egg??

jb500ex
11-13-2003, 05:02 PM
i like that

hsr
11-13-2003, 05:52 PM
There's no way Windham's bike is any faster than a stock piped CRF. At least that's what I'm to presume because the rumor I hear on the Yammy boards is that Honda has already tapped as much horsepower out of the CRF powerplant as they can that would mean there's no additional horsepower in Kevin's bike.

Oh yeah, the chicken or the egg??

Yeah I've heard the same thing Guy, but when you see that bike in action it makes you wonder. Windham even stated in an interview after one of the national's ( can't remember which one ) that "the 450f is an awesome bike" and that it was just about as much bike as he could handle at the time. "The guys at Honda have the power there for me if i need it but right now the bike is enough" - Windham
So there is definatly more power to squeeze out of the bike if need be. :cool:

TCracin440ex
11-13-2003, 05:56 PM
hsr i think the ama limit for 4 strokes is 450 cc im not 100% on that tho.

hsr
11-13-2003, 05:59 PM
Is it? I'm not sure TC but thanks for clearin that up. I just know that that's the common overbore for a 450 bike. Just like say a 440 or 330 would be for a 400ex or 300ex :cool:

TCracin440ex
11-13-2003, 06:00 PM
i think im selln my 400ex tho n lay the money down to get the 450r...no 1 in my area has put the $$ down for 1...n ill have the 1st 1 in my town

TCracin440ex
11-13-2003, 06:25 PM
imma do some research on tha dirt bike limit for pro class...i kno the atv pro class is 330 for the 2 strokes and 440 for the 4 strokes thats why dana creech and whoever else rides a hybrid 450 it has to be destroked to a 440...the 4 stroke a,b, and c classes are 440....i think in 04 they are being upped to 450 cc...ama said if any company ever put out a quad that is not a hybrid aftermarket they would move it to 450cc....the pro prod. is 450 already.....this is atv tho....im checking out dirt bike now...got it....2stroke is 150cc to 250cc.....4 stroke is 251cc to 450cc

TCracin440ex
11-13-2003, 06:26 PM
http://www.amaproracing.com/rulebook/03mxrules.pdf

trx330r
06-14-2004, 06:08 PM
which one will win in a race a cr125 or a raptor660

wvspeedfreak
06-14-2004, 06:38 PM
I say the trx125yfzr.;)