PDA

View Full Version : Ice racing tips.......

QuadJunkies
11-11-2003, 12:16 AM
Im going to give ICe racing a shot for the first time in Jan with a few other ladies:D I was wondering what pointers any of you can give me Ill be riding the "no stud" class:eek: any tips ??? Thanks......:)

seven
11-11-2003, 05:54 AM
I always thought maybe sand tires would work better then regular tires but Thats just a guess.You really dont get going fast anyway. You mostly stay in one spot and spin!

QuadJunkies
11-11-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by seven
I always thought maybe sand tires would work better then regular tires but Thats just a guess.You really dont get going fast anyway. You mostly stay in one spot and spin! are you serious about sand tires????:huh I would have never guessed,which tires are you referring to? So how hard is it on ice anyways? Am I out of my mind to do this no stud class? I just didint want to spend the dough for better tire set up all for one race and the other girls are running in the no stud class too.....

exrider123
11-11-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
are you serious about sand tires????:huh I would have never guessed,which tires are you referring to? So how hard is it on ice anyways? Am I out of my mind to do this no stud class? I just didint want to spend the dough for better tire set up all for one race and the other girls are running in the no stud class too.....

whatever you do dont go with paddles unless theres gonna be snow on the ice. Go with maxxis 4-snow tires I have heard great things about these tires there defenitly what you want for no-stud ice racing.

QuadJunkies
11-11-2003, 09:31 AM
I dont plan on buying anymore tires, Ill have to do with what Ive got now, what other factors are there when ice racing?

Quad18star
11-11-2003, 09:44 AM
Ya a lil hint for ya ... Make sure you keep your fingers on the clutch . Doesn't take much to over rev and say bye bye to a motor. Also use the front brakes a lot and try kicking the back end out in turns . Hug the corners cuz when you get to the end of the corner i guarantee you'll be near the outside edge. This is just with the experience i had with ice racing

Pappy
11-11-2003, 09:47 AM
dont get kikk'd in the icehole:eek: :blah:

i dont know chit about ice racing QJ.....but i wish ya the best of luck:D

QuadJunkies
11-11-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
dont get kikk'd in the icehole:eek: :blah:

i dont know chit about ice racing QJ.....but i wish ya the best of luck:D LOL!!!!!Thanks Pappy...:)

QuadJunkies
11-11-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Ya a lil hint for ya ... Make sure you keep your fingers on the clutch . Doesn't take much to over rev and say bye bye to a motor. Also use the front brakes a lot and try kicking the back end out in turns . Hug the corners cuz when you get to the end of the corner i guarantee you'll be near the outside edge. This is just with the experience i had with ice racing thank you for the advice!!! So Its obvious Ill be spinnin out alot, how had is it really to get around and in what gear would the Ave person race in?

hondafox440
11-11-2003, 10:40 AM
I don't ice race, but I ride my quad on ice in the winter, lol.

The trick is traction control. You don't want the wheels spinning fast. Sit as far back as possible to weight the rear wheels and give them some hope at traction. Momentum is your friend - once you get going, don't stop.

QuadJunkies
11-11-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by hondafox440
I don't ice race, but I ride my quad on ice in the winter, lol.

The trick is traction control. You don't want the wheels spinning fast. Sit as far back as possible to weight the rear wheels and give them some hope at traction. Momentum is your friend - once you get going, don't stop. LOL.. Im sure I wont have too much traction in a no stud class:o :p I think Im getting it now.... I never thought of that,but your right once the wheels have some Set in motion the spin will be less so keep up in momentum and Prol stay on the throddle,feather the front break and clutch, too much will throw too much wheel spin...Am I getting warmer here????:D

dirtmomma
11-11-2003, 10:51 AM
OOOHHHHH I want to try ice racing sooooooo bad you lucky dog you:blah: :macho I was watching ATV magazine the other day & they were out ont his huge lake Ice fishing on quads I told my hubby man that would be fun to just go try & ride on LOL Good luck & have fun!!!!

seven
11-11-2003, 04:11 PM
At the last ice race you really didnt get going at all. Every body spun out and the person who did win just happen to not spin out on that lap! As far as paddles go, I really dont know, I just thought it mite get you off the line a bit quicker but have no frame of refrance for this. Craig has a set of ice tires sitting in his garage. He told me to run this year and he would give me the studs but i dont think its a good idea, At least not till my last hospital bills are paid off.

seven
11-11-2003, 04:13 PM
I just had a Idea. Get your tires and roll them in the road tar. Then take them and roll them in sand. Then paint the tires back to black again. I think you would get some traction then!

dirtmomma
11-11-2003, 07:50 PM
Hey where do you guys ice race at?? I was telling my bro in law about it & he thought that sound fun, his son has a set of ice tires w/ studs he said I could use hehehe:devil:

Ryan
11-11-2003, 08:06 PM
I never ice raced, but I road on ice numerous times :blah: .

The trick is to be easy on the gas. Especially on the turns, keep the throttle steady so you won't spin out.

Make sure all you weight is transfered to the rear end. Them Preditors have heavy front ends so I suggest you gain about 40 pounds :uhoh: ;) .

You'll go faster taking your time around the track. The people that try to rush, will spin out (most likely).

Good luck!

Team Outlaw #34
11-11-2003, 08:12 PM
hey tina,

Have questions....

Are you going to be racing in the un-studded class?

If you are...here is the set up....First you buy 22 inch turf tamers, Then you sipe (spelling) each knob....(My friend is an expert on this stuff)....It would be benificial to have beadlocks so that you can run almost zero air pressure....

Darrel rath (spelling?) runs this set up....And so am I this year....

andy

QuadJunkies
11-11-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Team Outlaw #34
hey tina,

Have questions....

Are you going to be racing in the un-studded class?

If you are...here is the set up....First you buy 22 inch turf tamers, Then you sipe (spelling) each knob....(My friend is an expert on this stuff)....It would be benificial to have beadlocks so that you can run almost zero air pressure....

Darrel rath (spelling?) runs this set up....And so am I this year....

andy I have 18 inch turf tamers but Troy has a set of 20 inch Turfs? Would this work OK??? Both of us have the Burgard beadlocks, so Im set there....;) yes. this will be the unstudded class...

QuadJunkies
11-11-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Ryan
I never ice raced, but I road on ice numerous times :blah: .

The trick is to be easy on the gas. Especially on the turns, keep the throttle steady so you won't spin out.

Make sure all you weight is transfered to the rear end. Them Preditors have heavy front ends so I suggest you gain about 40 pounds :uhoh: ;) .

You'll go faster taking your time around the track. The people that try to rush, will spin out (most likely).

Good luck! Ill prol take out my 400:macho

QuadJunkies
11-11-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
OOOHHHHH I want to try ice racing sooooooo bad you lucky dog you:blah: :macho I was watching ATV magazine the other day & they were out ont his huge lake Ice fishing on quads I told my hubby man that would be fun to just go try & ride on LOL Good luck & have fun!!!! this is coming to the Bank of America Center in Jan. I guess this gal is hotter than a whore in church on a quad!!!!!:o :p :macho the guys told me last year she was awesome to watch......http://www.icespeedway.com/flashhome.htm

Natertot426ex
11-12-2003, 07:07 AM
Ok Tina, When I did it a couple years ago I learned to run almost no air in the rear tires. I still had my stockers back then and they worked great. I will probably put mine back on for that and run the class where they give you 100 studds. It should be a lot of fun. Also when you line up get next to the wall in the front wall. Everytime I was in that position I won. They do 4 laps. I am excited to do it again. Should be a big turn out this year with all of us going!!

DESDAK4
11-12-2003, 07:24 AM
I have been riding our lakes and pounds for about 4 years now and they are finally going to do Ice racing up hear every Sunday I am jacked. I have found riding the ice to be alot like flattracken. You want to get your bike low and have low tire pressure in a turf tammer like tire, after that it is all about throttle control the smoother you can be on the gas the better off you are. You will most like be working the bars like crazy in the unstudded class. When I start to go into any kind of spin I will usually just get on the gas hard and when it starts to straighten out I will feather out of it and most of the time I get right back going pretty good. I am going to run studs this year just to see what the difference is. I have seen a few guys running the maxxis 4-snow tire and they seem to hook up really good on the ice so I may get me a pair of those too.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

QuadJunkies
11-12-2003, 08:28 AM
I wish it werent so expensive to run in the stud class,not to mention, how much I hear it costs a tire!:eek: Too much for this girl, if I got more use out of them year around I could justify the expense. Nate, how big is the arena at the BofA? I havent been in that building for several years now and I cant remember much about it other than I was a little chit faced at a MegaDeth concert!:o :p LOL.......

dirtmomma
11-12-2003, 08:34 AM
I wish it werent so expensive to run in the stud class,not to mention, how much I hear it costs a tire!:eek: Too much for this girl, if I got more use out of them year around I could justify the expense. Nate, how big is the arena at the BofA? I havent been in that building for several years now and I cant remember much about it other than I was a little chit faced at a MegaDeth concert!:o :p LOL.......

HAHAHA THEY ROCK:devil:

Team Outlaw #34
11-12-2003, 08:35 AM
Tina,

If you only have 18" then i would make sure you sipe them for sure and run zero air pressure....When i used 18" I was always topped out in the straight aways....

DESDAK4
11-12-2003, 08:39 AM
Cost is the reason a lot of people around here buy used tires and then go to a hardware store and get a bunch of 1/4" sheet metal screws. they wear out faster but serve the perpose. O and yes, Mega Death does rock.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

QuadJunkies
11-12-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by DESDAK4
Cost is the reason a lot of people around here buy used tires and then go to a hardware store and get a bunch of 1/4" sheet metal screws. they wear out faster but serve the perpose. O and yes, Mega Death does rock.

Jay
USAF
AMMO hmm thats a good idea!!! I would prefer a stud class, but the other girls want me to nut it up with them, otherwise I race with all the nutball guys...:p Maybe I will do just that instead... I guess I better get to lookin for a VERY used set of tires since they wont get used for any other year after that

QuadJunkies
11-12-2003, 08:44 AM
Tina,

If you only have 18" then i would make sure you sipe them for sure and run zero air pressure....When i used 18" I was always topped out in the straight aways.... thanks for the scoop;) If i have to run tamers, Ill use the ones off the PRedaotr instead.. SEVEN~~~ I can TOTALLY understand waiting. Troy wont have NEAR as many as you, but we still will have a few of our own from the last race..:(

DESDAK4
11-12-2003, 08:44 AM
watch ebay and I think there might be a few people on here and what not for cheap tires. I am looking for some to put on my V-Force because I think it has to much low end to try and go studless.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

seven
11-12-2003, 02:32 PM
I heard in the past they would rent you a pair off tires in the arena. I am not sure if they still will but you mite check into it. Also you have to run a certain stud or they wont let you run at all. You would have to talk with Craig to get all the details.

DangerousDean
11-12-2003, 08:45 PM
low air pressure
easy gas, really easy at the start, you dont wanna spin, you want low tire speed so you can get traction, then you get going and stay easy on the gas.

J-Nubs
11-12-2003, 08:54 PM
what does it mean to sipe a tire ?
and
hows it work just using sheet metal screws ?

dawzie
11-13-2003, 03:34 AM
We run the studded class. We use Cheng Shin tires. They are cheap, like $40. From Dennis Kirk you can get the AMA approved ice studs. Kold Kutters pro series 1" long. These things hook up big time. You will go as fast on ice as on dirt !! On our quad with 19" shocks we replace with cheap 16" to get it as low as possible, you also should have a front sway bar, what a differance that makes.

In non stud class turf tamers rears are good. The bigger the dia. the better especially on the front. Beadlocks and as little psi as possible.

I think what sipe is, is to cut some of the lugs out of the tread pattern. In non-stud class you need as much weight as possible on the tire tread to secure traction on the ice. The more contact area you have=less weight per contact area.

Team Outlaw #34
11-13-2003, 09:35 AM
when we sipe you take a utility knife and cut 4 lines the long way on each knob that should give you a little more traction....

QuadJunkies
11-13-2003, 11:43 AM
I didnt even think a out the front tires!!!:eek2: All I have right noiw are Grooved
Radials,are they gonna work??? and they arent on Beadlocks, only my rears are...:(

dawzie
11-13-2003, 03:31 PM
you might be OK, try 4 psi and see how it does. Adjust psi accordingly

Team Outlaw #34
11-13-2003, 05:06 PM
its really not gonna matter....you could run less psi if you wanted to in the front but no matter what you aren't going to get traction up front....

Natertot426ex
11-14-2003, 06:56 AM

I am thinking the track will be as big as Caldwell just on ICE!!

dirtmomma
11-14-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Natertot426ex
I am thinking the track will be as big as Caldwell just on ICE!!

This is where you flattrack right?? How big is the track??? (@ Caldwell?)

Natertot426ex
11-14-2003, 09:28 AM
http://www.2-tickets.com/venues/BankofAmericaCentre

This is a picture. If it works. It is what ever the size they play hockey on. I will se if I can find out.

QuadJunkies
11-14-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Natertot426ex
http://www.2-tickets.com/venues/BankofAmericaCentre

This is a picture. If it works. It is what ever the size they play hockey on. I will se if I can find out. hey......Thats pretty cool!!!!!:cool:

660bigdaddy
11-15-2003, 07:24 PM
we just take our old razrs and stud them up. we use the 5/8 ones so they don't go all the way through. don't bother w/sheet medal screws. they don't last. and do not ride them on your garage floor,road,gravel or anything hard.http://www.geocities.com/dtr2bigdaddyracing/100_0231.JPG

Glow Plug
11-15-2003, 09:52 PM
I don't race but I will give you some pointers that I use for riding, Always turn with the throttle not with the bars your just going to go in a stright line any other way. My other advice would be to just do it like one big power silde :)

DangerousDean
11-15-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by 660bigdaddy
and do not ride them on your garage floor,road,gravel or anything hard.

Hahah
my friend has a 400ex, and last winter his tires were getting pretty worn (stockers) so he decided to buy some new razrs in the spring, so he studded his stock ones .
They worked awsome all winter, but when the snow started melting he decided to go out one night and do some burn outs :eek: holy god, his tires got shreadded, it was awsome ,sparks and **** everywhere!

the side walls got destroyed

flattrack450
11-17-2003, 07:19 PM
guy from NY state is right. there's plenty of ice racing going on in Wisconsin and chen shin are the studded tire of choice. i use 5/8in kold kutter ice screws. two in each knobby. i dip each screw in silicone before putting it in the tire. make sure to pattern your screws like a sled track. always making a fresh cut on the ice. cost isn't that big. you can get 2 18/9.5/8 mounted on douglas 190's for 140+shippiing. < Recreation Tire - Dirt Wheels Mag> 1200 screws should be about right for two rears made in the fashion i mentioned above. all total. 140 for tire and rims. 120 for screws. $260 for 3 extra months of riding and racing in wisconsin. and with re-sharpening, one set should last 3 years or so.

don't have too much unstudded knowledge, but everyone around here uses "pro-wedge" tires. don't know who makes them, but they are very similar to the 4-snow tires mentioned earlier. and those unstudded guys haul a**. nothing easy about it. throttle control, brake control, and some of these guys pull speeds that rival c-class studded quads!

dirtmomma
11-18-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by flattrack450
guy from NY state is right. there's plenty of ice racing going on in Wisconsin and chen shin are the studded tire of choice. i use 5/8in kold kutter ice screws. two in each knobby. i dip each screw in silicone before putting it in the tire. make sure to pattern your screws like a sled track. always making a fresh cut on the ice. cost isn't that big. you can get 2 18/9.5/8 mounted on douglas 190's for 140+shippiing. < Recreation Tire - Dirt Wheels Mag> 1200 screws should be about right for two rears made in the fashion i mentioned above. all total. 140 for tire and rims. 120 for screws. $260 for 3 extra months of riding and racing in wisconsin. and with re-sharpening, one set should last 3 years or so.

don't have too much unstudded knowledge, but everyone around here uses "pro-wedge" tires. don't know who makes them, but they are very similar to the 4-snow tires mentioned earlier. and those unstudded guys haul a**. nothing easy about it. throttle control, brake control, and some of these guys pull speeds that rival c-class studded quads!

Hi I see you have a 450 kit in your 400, just wondering how you like it?? Is it finicky & hard to start?? We have a 460 kit for ours but haven't put it in yet I think my hubby is waiting till it's in need of a rebuild to do it. I'm trying to talk him into doing thekit then letting me flattrack it:blah: :devil: But it's HIS baby!

PhilMoore
11-20-2003, 09:26 PM
For unstudded, I don't think 18" tires will work very well.

My wife and I both tried Ice racing a couple years ago. It was great fun, but it was about 15 below zero when we got there. Toni ran her 250EX with 20inch turftamers in women's un-studded, but all the other girls had 4x4! Toni lost bad but had fun.

I ran my Banshee studded in Open class, and I got my butt whooped very much bad. I put one kold kutter in each knob of my stock tires. I also let all the preload out of my shocks so I was sitting with about 4 inch of sag. It wasn't enough. One of the other guys spun out in a corner, and I passed him. I thought I had it made, but he got going again and flew past me so fast I just about fell off... By the end of the race I was so far behind I think they started the next heat before I got to the finish line. :rolleyes:

Some of the guys in un-studded had huge (maybe 25"?) rear tires with what looked like about 1 pound of air pressure the way they were rolling around.

Also, I saw several quads with tie-down straps rigged up so they were compressing the shocks so the quad would sit lower. I personally did not try this, and I don't know how well those fellows placed.

Good luck! You will have fun!

dirtmomma
11-21-2003, 07:32 AM
I ran my Banshee studded in Open class, and I got my butt whooped very much bad. I put one kold kutter in each knob of my stock tires. I also let all the preload out of my shocks so I was sitting with about 4 inch of sag. It wasn't enough. One of the other guys spun out in a corner, and I passed him. I thought I had it made, but he got going again and flew past me so fast I just about fell off... By the end of the race I was so far behind I think they started the next heat before I got to the finish line.

LMAO thats funny, I like the part about starting the next heat before you finished hehehe:p

HEY I never thought about running a 4x4 hummmmm Tina ya wanna borrow my Kodiak LOL:devil: ;)

Team Outlaw #34
11-21-2003, 09:17 AM
Phillmore where did you race?

QuadJunkies
11-21-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
I ran my Banshee studded in Open class, and I got my butt whooped very much bad. I put one kold kutter in each knob of my stock tires. I also let all the preload out of my shocks so I was sitting with about 4 inch of sag. It wasn't enough. One of the other guys spun out in a corner, and I passed him. I thought I had it made, but he got going again and flew past me so fast I just about fell off... By the end of the race I was so far behind I think they started the next heat before I got to the finish line.

LMAO thats funny, I like the part about starting the next heat before you finished hehehe:p

HEY I never thought about running a 4x4 hummmmm Tina ya wanna borrow my Kodiak LOL:devil: ;) and on that note..............Guess what a few nut ball locals are doing next wk end???????? Flat trackin Utility quads:eek: :eek2: :huh ..... Man, the first race of the series is going to be some crazy riding!!!!:p

dirtmomma
11-21-2003, 07:52 PM
and on that note..............Guess what a few nut ball locals are doing next wk end???????? Flat trackin Utility quads:eek: :eek2: :huh ..... Man, the first race of the series is going to be some crazy riding!!!!:p
LMAO COOL!! I'd do it on mine just cuz it's got bald *** tires so I know it slides good plus I run them real low. sounds like it's gonna be a good time, our next race is tomarrow :blah: I'm NOT near as nervous as last time in fact i'm really not......yet anyway. I've been too busy tryin to get a little supply of shock covers sewn up for tomarrow!! I also made some crossbar pads & mini shock covers they are soooo cute LOL I posted some pics on another thread ifyour interested!! Good Christmas presents;) ;)

QuadJunkies
11-21-2003, 08:39 PM
SEVEN~~~ Is there any local spot that are froze over to ride on around here in the winter?

seven
11-22-2003, 04:40 AM
Daryll had a place doen by twin falls but i never went there.

PhilMoore
11-22-2003, 10:06 PM
Phillmore where did you race?

It was at Fourtune Bay Casino on Lake Vermillion. It was in February 2002.

J-Nubs
12-25-2003, 10:25 PM
what tires do u guys have on the front. on ice it seems like no matter what u had u still can steer u just slide in which ever direction u started out in

EX 80
01-04-2004, 08:58 PM
What gearing do you guys use for ice with studded 18 inch tires?

dawzie
01-04-2004, 09:49 PM
depends on size of track. Im running 14X39 most of the time. 2nd gear starts.

PhilMoore
01-10-2004, 11:10 PM
My friend Josh just called. They are ice racing tomorrow, so I decided to throw some kold cutters in my stock Banshee tires. The last time I tried this I lost really bad, but it was still fun.

It'll be good to get out the old ring ding again. I haven't run the 'shee since last June! It still has the sand paddles on it, so hopefully after I get the tires switched the darn thing will start! It was warm today, so I hope it is nice tomorrow too. It has been like 20 below zero around here lately.

I just wish all the sport ATV's used the same bolt pattern. I have a half dozen sets of front and rear Honda wheels, but only two sets of Banshee wheels.

PhilMoore
01-11-2004, 06:44 PM
It was nice today, overcast, but warm.

I tried starting the Banshee this morning and no go. I put it in the garage and turned the heater on. While it was warming up I put new spark plugs in (old ones fouled) and put the studded tires on.

I lowered the quad off the ATV lift and gave it a kick. It fired off on the first kick. Unfortunately, I still had it in first gear from changing the wheels. I ended up running into my welder and smashing it against the wall. I didn't break anything but I sure feel stupid! :p

I put a kold kutter in each knob down the center 3 of each tire, so I didn't have as many as some of the other guys, but it still hooked up fairly decent. I never won a race, but I didn't come in dead last every time! I didn't have nerfs on either, so that made it a little sketchy. But, if anybody got too rammy, they got yelled at by everybody else, so racing was really clean. Nobody flipped, but the Warrior spun out into one of the 400EX's and knocked the bead loose on a rear tire. We had a compressor on site so it didn't cause a problem.http://www.uslink.net/~philzie/jandj400x300.jpg

dawzie
01-11-2004, 07:08 PM
More studs Phil, I got about 480 in a tire.

dirtmomma
01-11-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by PhilMoore
It was nice today, overcast, but warm.

I tried starting the Banshee this morning and no go. I put it in the garage and turned the heater on. While it was warming up I put new spark plugs in (old ones fouled) and put the studded tires on.

I lowered the quad off the ATV lift and gave it a kick. It fired off on the first kick. Unfortunately, I still had it in first gear from changing the wheels. I ended up running into my welder and smashing it against the wall. I didn't break anything but I sure feel stupid! :p

I put a kold kutter in each knob down the center 3 of each tire, so I didn't have as many as some of the other guys, but it still hooked up fairly decent. I never won a race, but I didn't come in dead last every time! I didn't have nerfs on either, so that made it a little sketchy. But, if anybody got too rammy, they got yelled at by everybody else, so racing was really clean. Nobody flipped, but the Warrior spun out into one of the 400EX's and knocked the bead loose on a rear tire. We had a compressor on site so it didn't cause a problem.http://www.uslink.net/~philzie/jandj400x300.jpg

RIGHT ON!!! man that looks FUN FUN FUN!!!! Doesn't matter what place ya came in as long as ya had fun!! Do they have them alot, like on the weekends or is it just a "fun" thing??

QuadJunkies
01-11-2004, 07:35 PM
NIIICEEEEEE PIC...:cool:

PhilMoore
01-11-2004, 08:44 PM
Thanks QJ !

It is just for fun. No regular schedule.
We all ran stock exhaust to keep the noise down, except one Predator had a "Pure Polaris" pipe. He didn't get the memo, but it wasn't too loud and obnoxious.

Most of the guys there today were from the regular riding group.

We set it up like a big oval. The Raptor did the best there. Then we set it up with a couple tight corners, and Josh did very well on his 400EX. One of the Predators was pretty fast too. I was probably about 7th out of 10 most of the time. The yellow 400EX had like 250 studs in each of his rear tires and quite a few in the fronts, but I could keep up with him. I could never pass him though.

The Warrior was last every time. He had a problem with his tires though and couldn't get it to hook up. He switched rear tires (put the stockers back on with studs), but then the front end would just push and he would keep going straight.

Nobody has ice tires, so we were all tossing studs. I think about half of mine came out by the end of the day. http://www.uslink.net/~philzie/startingline2400x300.jpg

QuadJunkies
01-11-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by PhilMoore
Thanks QJ !

It is just for fun. No regular schedule.
We all ran stock exhaust to keep the noise down, except one Predator had a "Pure Polaris" pipe. He didn't get the memo, but it wasn't too loud and obnoxious.

Most of the guys there today were from the regular riding group.

We set it up like a big oval. The Raptor did the best there. Then we set it up with a couple tight corners, and Josh did very well on his 400EX. One of the Predators was pretty fast too. I was probably about 7th out of 10 most of the time. The yellow 400EX had like 250 studs in each of his rear tires and quite a few in the fronts, but I could keep up with him. I could never pass him though.

The Warrior was last every time. He had a problem with his tires though and couldn't get it to hook up. He switched rear tires (put the stockers back on with studs), but then the front end would just push and he would keep going straight.

Nobody has ice tires, so we were all tossing studs. I think about half of mine came out by the end of the day. http://www.uslink.net/~philzie/startingline2400x300.jpg hm, Lets see.....How far is Minn. from Idaho???? I WANT TO COME AND RIDE WITH YOU GUYS!!!!:macho That looks liek a TOTAL BLAST!!:macho

dirtmomma
01-12-2004, 08:01 AM
hm, Lets see.....How far is Minn. from Idaho???? I WANT TO COME AND RIDE WITH YOU GUYS!!!!:macho That looks liek a TOTAL BLAST!!:macho

DITTO man can you imagine being able to do that every weekend?? What a blast!!!

Team Outlaw #34
01-12-2004, 09:16 AM
hey philmoore are you going to the ice racing championship on lake vermilion this weekend?

PhilMoore
01-12-2004, 12:01 PM
We have company coming. I haven't mentioned it to them, but if I can talk them into going, we may go up one day. If I race, I might run my wifes 250EX in un-studded, or possibly my 400EX.

A few of the guys are going up though, I don't know who is going to race for sure.