PDA

View Full Version : custom big bar clamps

hsr
11-10-2003, 09:43 PM
i know this may sound like a stupid question but i was wondering why you couldn't bore out the stock 7/8 handlebar clamps to 1-1/8 to accomodate the bigger bars, my guess would be that the mounts would be to weak? But if this is possible it would be a big money saver.

boogiechile
11-11-2003, 06:38 AM
You can. The only difference in most of them is the size of the hole anyway. I bored mine out from 7/8 to 1 1/8. Best way is to put nylon or plastic washers on the bolts between the two halves and tighten it together. Then just drill it out with the proper drill press. of course remove the washers once done. The washers have to be in there to make it get tight on the bars. the reason for nylon or plastic is that some of the washer will get drilled away and steel washers can cause some problems while drilling the aluminum.

hsr
11-11-2003, 09:34 PM
cool , thanks

4wheelboy
11-13-2003, 04:07 PM
is it safe?

muff
11-13-2003, 04:33 PM
i could see someone easily run into problems with drilling their stock ones out, but when theres a will theres a way

it'd seem like you'd run into issues with the bolt holes, especially with the upper clamp, and the space between the top clamp and the bottom clamp would seem pretty big, you'd also need larger bolts

i just say why hassle and rig something when you can spend some money and get it right?

Crawl69
11-15-2003, 11:25 AM
When you open up the hole, you probably want to ream it to 1 1/8. When you use a drill, not only does it leave a nasty finish on the material, but a drilled hole is never straight and always oversize. When you ream a hole, it is always right on size.