PDA

View Full Version : 400 ex base gasket problems

markvette
11-10-2003, 08:06 PM
i just put in a wiseco 416 piston kit in my sons 400 ex. the kit came with cometic gaskets. when we installed the cylinder and torqed it down he base gasket looked like it bubbled out between the cases and cylinder. now after 5 races on th engine the base is leaking oil. a mechanic said i should convert to studs for the cylinder instead of the stock bolts. he said this would solve the problem. does someone make a cylinder stud kit forthe 400 ex to replace the stock bolts.

Mark

cals400ex
11-10-2003, 10:14 PM
i know there are several places that do this. there is a little machine work involved from what i read. i don't have done, but i know curtis sparks sells these heavier studs. i know there will be some other places that do this too and more than likely they will be cheaper than sparks.

Evan
11-11-2003, 01:34 AM
I dont know how that would really solve the problem if its leaking at the base gasket and you want head bolts.
Personally Ive had good luck with OEM gaskets from honda, theyve never leaked for me. If your headgasket is leaking then it is a good idea to get the larger studs, otherwise I wouldnt worry about it. I ran 13:1 compression without blowing headgaskets.
I say you should buy a honda basegasket and see if that fixes the problem.