PDA

View Full Version : 400ex guy needs 300ex help

44oEX
11-10-2003, 07:47 PM
I`m fixing up a motor for this guy and since I only have a 400 and don`t have much experience on a 300 I need some help.

Just incase your wandering you don`t have to tell me how to rebuild the motor. That part I know.

When the guys drop off the bike he said that it burns alot of oil ( so the motor need a rebuild ) and he sad there was a noking sound comming from the motor. At firt I figured it was the valves with I had adjusted just a month back. I figured I did`nt put the nuts tight enough and it came lose.

The next day I start the bike and the noking is really bad but it did`nt sound like the valves. When I took it apart I check and the valves where good.

When I took out the piston I notised the the con rod was lose.
I mesure it and the top part of the connecting rod can move side to side a 1/4 inch and there is about an 1/8 of play at the bottom.
I know the 400 `s rod is tight but is the 300ex seposed to have that much play?:confused: And it`s tight up and down , no free play at all.

I really can`t see anything else that would cause that noking sound.

Please someone tell my I don`t have to tell that poor kid that his motor is shot and he need a new crank.:devil:

Diedrich
11-10-2003, 08:32 PM
sounds like the rod bearings are bad

44oEX
11-11-2003, 09:24 AM
If the bearing was bad would it have free play up and down cause does`nt?

I`ll go check that out thanks

Anybody else got anything?

I need to tell the kid something so someone help.

bjt7550
11-13-2003, 02:58 PM
My .02 cents
I rebuilt top end on my old 250x
Check the cam chain & the cam bearings (on the end on cam).
My bike had noise when I bought it ..The valve adjustment locknut backed off & fell in head..Wiped out rockers,cam ,& cam chain.
The cam chains are known to strecth & make noise

Good luck