PDA

View Full Version : Info on 400EX 440 kits

03400EX_Nacs
11-10-2003, 02:45 PM
I am looking to buy a 440 up grade this Feb. and was wondering where to look. I am thinking about going up to the Honda dealer close to me and getting them to do it. The 440 kit is suppose to reduce the quality of your motor so they said they would put a stroker motor in it :huh what exactly is that. Also i was looking at an lrdracing bore. Which would probly be best out of those or any others and the stroker motor thing has me confused too. What it is?

wilkin250r
11-10-2003, 02:56 PM
There are two aspects to the displacement of your engine, bore and stroke. Bore is determined by your piston/cylinder size. Big-bore kit's have larger pistons. Stroke is the actual distance your piston moves up and down. Stroke is determined by your crankshaft.

A stroker is the term used for increased stroke. It's a little difficult to explain unless you are familiar with the crankshaft, and the transfer of energy from your piston to your wheels. Basically, it creates more torque, but it's typically more expensive than a big-bore kit.

440exnacsracer
11-10-2003, 07:29 PM
i would suggest getting a 426 bore (not sure what piston diameter) with a je piston. i have run both wiseco and je and when i converted to the je, i gained significant gains in hp and torque...a stroker kit is going to be extremely expensive, a 426 kit with a cam, port and polished heads and a nice exaust will get better gains for less money. BE SURE to go with a JE piston though...12:1 would be best

cals400ex
11-10-2003, 10:21 PM
i have heard that the je and ross pistons are better than the wiseco. however, my friend runs a wiseco without any problems. actually, je own wiseco. however, the wiseco's are a little cheaper and i am not sure why.

airheadedduner
11-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by 03400EX_Nacs
I am looking to buy a 440 up grade this Feb. and was wondering where to look. I am thinking about going up to the Honda dealer close to me and getting them to do it. The 440 kit is suppose to reduce the quality of your motor so they said they would put a stroker motor in it :huh what exactly is that. Also i was looking at an lrdracing bore. Which would probly be best out of those or any others and the stroker motor thing has me confused too. What it is?
They probly plan on boring it out to 416 and stroking it the rest of the way(I think 4.5mm). The stroker produces more torque. Boreing out to 440 it will rev better cause it is more oversquare. It is your call. I have one bored out to 440 and love it in the dunes, but at the track it feels flat on bottom and the stroker would probly do better.