PDA

View Full Version : how to, untap??

f.s.o.s
11-10-2003, 02:44 PM
I've got an 02 400ex with a e-series slip-on and thats it.. what kind of mods can i do with out spending too much to increase the power...air box? etc. what should i jet it at etc. any help would be great...

wilkin250r
11-10-2003, 03:02 PM
You can get a high-flow air filter, like K&N filter, and run with the airbox lid off. This will give you a little power, but not a whole bunch. K&N can give you jetting recommendations.

Power isn't cheap. While this is true for all motors, it is especially true for the 400EX. If you want lots of power, you need to tear into the motor and do some major upgrades. Big bore kit, high compression piston, aggressive cam, maybe more. There's really no such thing as "bolt-on" horsepower.

11-10-2003, 03:05 PM
Get the slack out of your throttle cable if you haven't done it already..you'll see a 15%- 25% increase in power just from that...:eek2: and it's free....:eek:

f.s.o.s
11-10-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Get the slack out of your throttle cable if you haven't done it already..you'll see a 15%- 25% increase in power just from that...:eek2: and it's free....:eek:

Ok not too sound dumb or any thing but where do you adjust that, on the carb or on the bars.
and how much slack should i have?:confused:

wilkin250r
11-10-2003, 03:13 PM
The adjustment is on your throttle right where the cable comes out. It's probably covered by a rubber boot. Play with the throttle as you adjust it until you feel all the slack come out of it. Don't adjust it too far, or your carb won't close all the way.

f.s.o.s
11-10-2003, 03:24 PM
cool thanks...

How about the air box what kind of mods can i do to it to make it better....like gettin rid of the snorkel or something????

11-10-2003, 03:27 PM
Yeah i forgot to add it's best to adjust your throttle while the quads running. You'll know if you tighten it up too much then, not on your next ride out..;) you should be able to hear the motor rev with just the slightest push of your thumb..

If conditions are right you can remove the airbox lid for more air but you'll need to rejet when you do this.

wilkin250r
11-10-2003, 03:28 PM
Just remove the lid. Maybe go up a jet size to keep it from getting too lean.