PDA

View Full Version : race gas?????

EXDUNER127
11-10-2003, 02:17 PM
If you dont have any motor work done , just pipe, filter etc. does half race gas, and half 91 octane have any affects? faster, runs cooler or anything or should i just stick to straight 91?

wilkin250r
11-10-2003, 02:43 PM
This is a common misconception with "race gas" and high-octane fuels.

High-octane fuel can withstand higher tempuratures and pressures before igniting. That's why they are used in race motors. Typically, race motors have very high compression, so they must run a high-octane fuel. The power doesn't come from the fuel, it comes from the higher compression. In fact, since high-octane fuels typically burn slower, you could actually see a decrease in performance in a stock engine.

Not all high-octane fuels are "race gas". Some race fuels have other additives, like oxygenators, that help increase performance. However, generally "Race gas" and "high-octane" are basically the same.

Race gas will run a little bit cooler than normal fuel, but it won't give you more power. The small tempurature difference you'll see with race gas isn't very big, it's certainly not worth the money. If you only have the stock engine, run 91 octane.

Evan
11-11-2003, 02:02 AM
I wouldnt run race gas in a 4strk unless you have high comp. I have run race gas on a stock 4strk and cant really tell a difference. On my 2strks that are stock however-I can feel a difference-not so much in power, but how it runs, 2strks generally run smoother on race gas.

EXDUNER127
11-11-2003, 08:41 AM
What about those fuel additives, that say raise your octane level and give a better burn, do these work cause they are only like 5 bucks.