PDA

View Full Version : Airbox lid???

snrobin
11-10-2003, 12:51 PM
Do people actually run without the airbox lid? Isn't that bad for the filter? Maybe i am just a clean freak heheh :D .

If i try running without the lid will i have to rejet?

UglyMotha™
11-10-2003, 12:55 PM
what's that you say a airbox lid, what's that, my airbox didn't even come with one

eh it's safe depending on what kind of an atomosphere you play in however i run in alot of mud and water every now and then and still have no problems just can't ford water that is deeper than the bottom of my airbox

snrobin
11-10-2003, 01:00 PM
Ok so if i run without the airbox lid will it give me a noticable power boost? And more importantly will i have to rejet or will it not matter?

Thanks

UglyMotha™
11-10-2003, 01:08 PM
if your running the stock exhaust then probably not but if it's aftermarket then yes your goin to feel a difference and yes you will have to rejet cause you alowing more air which will lean out your fuel mixture

snrobin
11-10-2003, 01:30 PM
I'm running a stock header with supertrapp slip on, 9 rings on muffler. Other then that its all stock.

badass300ex
11-10-2003, 09:23 PM
dood leave it on youll get yourself in more trouble with no lid. Buy some air box vent and put like 6 of them in the lid they are like 5 buck for 4 of them. I ran with no lid for a while and it got me in trouble. Just think your rideing down a tight trail with a few buddies and its getting a little muddy next thing you know you burried in mud and water its all fun and games until someone fills there air box with water Ive been thereI just recently put mine back on and put 6 of the air plugs in they work great and no power loss at all.:macho

cals400ex
11-10-2003, 10:11 PM
i just did a little testing on this subject. i actually don't have more speed in a drag race with it off, even after rejetting. i feel that my bike has a little bit more torque or throttle response with it off, but that may be from me hearing and feeling it suck with no lid. in a drag, it actually feels to pull better in the upper gears with it on. i have no clue why. the weird thing is, i am running an 11 compression 406 with stage 2, x-6 exhaust, etc. i thought i would need more air for sure, but it seemed to run great with the lid on. sucking through your snorkel should increase velocity of the air, but decrease volume. i don't think it would hurt to maybe increase volume a bit on my built motor. but, i still think air velocity is the key, not volume. all in all, i don't think you will notice much difference between the two, just make sure your jetted right either way.

snrobin
11-11-2003, 09:43 AM
Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions guys, I think i am going to leave it on. i don't race, i mostly just ride for fun at the dunes and on the farm so a little extra HP isn't Extremely important to me, just would be nice for wheelies :D

redroost85
11-11-2003, 03:29 PM
This may get me in trouble, but I will offer you this advice...although with a stock filter I don't know 'bout that.

ATV logic and women go hand in hand...for instance

"I like my lid (airbox) like I like my women.....with their tops off!"

or

"I like my fenders like I like my women.....shaved!"

Don't know if that helps ya, but it works for me!:D

northeast400
11-11-2003, 06:07 PM
Hell Ya!!!

lildude
11-11-2003, 08:00 PM
i have to run with mine off with my jetting but i drilled like 3 holes in my airbox lid so if i know im gonna be ridin around in mud i just put it on and i carry a roll of duck tape so if i go to cross deep water i just tape over the holes.........the airbox lid off seems to add alot more power to me

JD400exrider
11-11-2003, 11:34 PM
I would run a stock lid with a large cut out on the top with an outerwear over the top or buy one allready made from EHS racing. I have seen to many of the small vent holes that people install in the lid clog up with dirt. I saw a difference with a outerwear / open lid and proper jetting.