PDA

View Full Version : Whats up w/ the 400 rev-limiter????

JTRtrx250r
11-10-2003, 06:10 AM
Man...how do you guys deal w/ that?My buds got a 400 w/ a few mods and w/ an aftermarket rev-box and I thought I broke his quad,constantly bouncin' off the limiter whole time,its supposed to be good for another 1500 rpms and I cant imagine how it is stock..I could only shift so fast and stay in the power at the same time..

I ride an R so I figured it would be a lil diferent ..but damn...,how do you guys go so damn fast w/ that interference of the rev-limiter?I was starting to wonder if somethings wrong w/ it but its a new cdi from..??? ..LRD?...I think,is there any way to hook it up wrong?or are they all like that?thanks guys

MOFO
11-10-2003, 06:17 AM
Where are you getting your information about the 400EX being good for another 1500 RPMS in stock form? That is incorrect. If you look at a dyno chart for a stock 400EX motor (when I say stock, I mean no internal work), the motor quits making power well before the rev limiter. Why would you want to increase the rev limiter when the engine is NOT designed to be used above it. :confused:

JTRtrx250r
11-10-2003, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by MOFO
Where are you getting your information about the 400EX being good for another 1500 RPMS in stock form? That is incorrect. If you look at a dyno chart for a stock 400EX motor (when I say stock, I mean no internal work), the motor quits making power well before the rev limiter. Why would you want to increase the rev limiter when the engine is NOT designed to be used above it. :confused: Im not sure...thats why Im asking,why do they sell rev-box's for the 400?Im not 100% positive but I wanna say its from LRD...and thats what they told him..that it was good for another 1500 r's,and I know his has no internal work...just add -ons

MOFO
11-10-2003, 06:43 AM
Unless it has internal work done (bore kit, piston, cam, head work...etc) its not worth using a rev box.

JTRtrx250r
11-10-2003, 07:34 AM
Im wondering if its hurting performance then....sure as hell seemed like it...but Im not real familiar w/ the 400 hands on wise,it makes decent power from bottem to mid but topend feels super short and starts cuttin' out,my 1st thought was the carb but he just went thru that,he says thats how its always been and it had me thinking "wow":confused: ,it runs great....just the limiter felt liike it was hindering me a bunch so I figured I'd ask...:confused:
thanks mofo..

anyone 1 else?......

MOFO
11-10-2003, 07:46 AM
The stock 400EX motor is not a high reving motor. Like you said, the power is down low to mid. Up near the rev limiter, your not going to feel any kind of power gain.... Most of this is just due to the design of the motor... cam, valves, head...etc. Think of it like this...

400EX=350 SBC vs 250R=Honda VTEC motor

JTRtrx250r
11-10-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by MOFO
The stock 400EX motor is not a high reving motor. Like you said, the power is down low to mid. Up near the rev limiter, your not going to feel any kind of power gain.... Most of this is just due to the design of the motor... cam, valves, head...etc. Think of it like this...

400EX=350 SBC vs 250R=Honda VTEC motor :D haha..Gotcha! good example:D