PDA

View Full Version : hillclimber?

bone705
11-09-2003, 07:06 PM
what is better for hill climbing? a banshee or a 250r? i dont plan on extending the swingarm.

hondarules
11-09-2003, 09:23 PM
id say the R but i dont really kno im not a big 2-stroke fan

nofear911
11-10-2003, 05:23 AM
The R is better if it is a tight windy hill, but if its long and straight they both work good. But not as good a an EX, four strokes are way easier to hill climb with, cause you don't need to feather the clutch because you have bottom end.

JTRtrx250r
11-10-2003, 06:13 AM
outta the 2....the R,actually those R's suprise me how versitile they can be,but like stated..you cant beat a 4st for traction on hill climbs

bone705
11-10-2003, 10:40 AM
on a hill with straight lips does the r and the shee both do a good job with keeping the front end down?

stepupmx
11-10-2003, 11:09 AM
If you get into the powerband, wheels will probably lift up.

Go 4 stroke for hill climbs.

400exrules
11-10-2003, 02:13 PM
just get a banshee and put some T5's on it and it will tear up any hill you can find without effort

Chino
11-10-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
just get a banshee and put some T5's on it and it will tear up any hill you can find without effort

:rolleyes:

nofear911
11-10-2003, 06:59 PM
The Banshee will usually(not always) spin like hell and use friction to climb.
The R will usually bite in a go with just a little wheel slip.
Both will stay down on straight hills,but you will have to lean into them. The EX you can just sit back and enjoy the ride.

400exrules
11-10-2003, 07:20 PM
Banshee hill climb
http://www.dunereview.com/video/RS-DeadMans-SandDaddy-1.wmv

250r, same hill
http://www.dunereview.com/video/RS-DeadMans-SteveStuck-1.wmv

3 shee's, same hill
http://www.dunereview.com/video/RS-DeadMans-1-1.wmv

Raptor then 250r, same hill
http://www.dunereview.com/video/RS-DeadMans-2-1.wmv

250r choke cherry hill climb
http://www.dunereview.com/video/two250rschokecherry.wmv

Four Stroke Wars: Modded 250r vs. Sparks Raptor
http://www.ljsoftware.com/Videos/fswdrags20.wmv

Four Stroke Wars: Modded 250r vs. Sparks Raptor again
http://www.ljsoftware.com/Videos/fswdrags19.wmv

bone705
11-10-2003, 07:20 PM
the way it sounds 4strokes are better for hill climbs. ive always seen 2strokes winning all those hill climbs.:confused:

exatak199
11-10-2003, 07:44 PM
I would say get a DS650 there already long :blah:

cool 300ex
11-10-2003, 09:13 PM
Both of them are great for hill climbing. But the banshee sure has some power over the R. I have also seen all those video's.

roostin_dale
11-10-2003, 09:47 PM
i think a suzuki 250r

RIDER11X
11-11-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by nofear911
The R is better if it is a tight windy hill, but if its long and straight they both work good. But not as good a an EX, four strokes are way easier to hill climb with, cause you don't need to feather the clutch because you have bottom end.

True, but as much as I am a 400ex fan, 4strokes want to lift the front end easier with their torque and are not as easily revived into their powerband with the clutch as a two stroke. Two critical points for serious climbing.
There is a group near Ford City, Pa that rides mostly 250r's that climbs the nastiest hills I have ever seem, on video or in person. They may take several tries at the same hill before making the top! They are climbing rock faces smoking tires barely making it. Wes Miller needs to film them!:eek2: :macho :cool:

exatak199
11-11-2003, 02:27 PM
any videos?

MOFO
11-11-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by stepupmx
If you get into the powerband, wheels will probably lift up.

Go 4 stroke for hill climbs.

Ummm... you DO NOT want to do any serious hill climb with a 2 stroke UNLESS you are in the powerband...

RIDER11X
11-11-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by exatak199
any videos?

I wish! I'd show you what insanity is!:D I should also mention they are very good at getting turned around on these hills when they don't make it. Only saw one roll all day with the rider getting pinned between the quad and the tree, he was ok though and continued to climb after they pulled his quad off of him.:macho

cdalejef
11-11-2003, 08:34 PM
If your talking about competition hill climbs then the 2 strokes will smoke all but the newer high performance 4-strokes (Dale, YFZ and CRF)

RIDER11X
11-11-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
I wish! I'd show you what insanity is!:D I should also mention they are very good at getting turned around on these hills when they don't make it. Only saw one roll all day with the rider getting pinned between the quad and the tree, he was ok though and continued to climb after they pulled his quad off of him.:macho

The thing that makes Woods climbs tougher is it is usually near trees and it involves turning, tree roots, rocks, ledges, and logs. Not to take away from duning, as that really looks like fun too, but I think woods climbs are way tougher.;)

3rdtimescharm
11-11-2003, 09:09 PM
Near Ford City, that public land to ride on??? if so where? Is it open for anyone to ride?

h01400ex
11-11-2003, 09:17 PM
Rider11x,

Are you talkin about Eric Baker and his buddies. They all ride Rs, and i'm told they climb some insane stuff.
Have you ever been out to widow maker in Cherry run?

RIDER11X
11-11-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by 3rdtimescharm
Near Ford City, that public land to ride on??? if so where? Is it open for anyone to ride?

No, private property.:( Sorry, I rode with them which is a friend of a friend type thing.

marksuttonjr
11-11-2003, 09:22 PM
It would all depend on what you are used to. If you are used to a 4 stroke they will climb better if you are used to a 2 stroke they climb better. Of the 2 quads you mentioned(R Shee) the R climbs much better because it has a lower center of gravity that is closer to the front. I don't climb much on my R because it is hard to get used to pinning it to fan the tires when the front end starts up after you have done as much climbing on 4X4 4 strokes as what I have done.

I will climb anything and everything on my Rancher.

RIDER11X
11-11-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by h01400ex
Rider11x,

Are you talkin about Eric Baker and his buddies. They all ride Rs, and i'm told they climb some insane stuff.

One of the guys got a XR650, and one got a Banshee, the rest got R's. Don't know who anyone was though. Stock Honda Ohtsu tires are the tire of choice for them.:cool:

LTandRaptorider
11-12-2003, 10:08 AM
Rider11x,

Yeah, it was Baker and some other guys on their R's. I jsut shook my head in amazement at some of the hills they were climbing, all balls and no brains! And marksuttonjr, I'd pay good money to see you climb some of these hills on your Rancher! :devil:

h01400ex
11-12-2003, 01:15 PM
Lt, have you ever been to widowmaker in cherry Run.

RIDER11X
11-12-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
And marksuttonjr, I'd pay good money to see you climb some of these hills on your Rancher! :devil:

:D I can't picture that Rancher doin' so well there. You just got to see it to believe it, and I believe no Rancher will do it until I see it, of course I didn't think a stock wheelbased R could do it till I saw it! Let me know when your going, I'll bring the camera!:devil: :devil: :devil:

LTandRaptorider
11-12-2003, 05:05 PM
Lt, have you ever been to widowmaker in cherry Run.

No, I haven't, but heard about it. Sounds like a place my wife would like me to try... :eek2:

LTandRaptorider
11-12-2003, 05:10 PM
:D I can't picture that Rancher doin' so well there. You just got to see it to believe it, and I believe no Rancher will do it until I see it, of course I didn't think a stock wheelbased R could do it till I saw it! Let me know when your going, I'll bring the camera!:devil: :devil: :devil:

Yeah, we definitely have to go back with a camcorder! I'd like to take the LT next time for that jump.

BTW... since you're out of action, and looking for a 4X4 quad, think I'll start the winter teardown on the LT early! I was hoping my tranny problem would be something simple so I could run the next race at Switchback... but it looks like it's time to crack open the cases... :grr: All I want for Christmas is a YFZ...

bansheeguy77
11-12-2003, 08:49 PM

dude u seriously must be smokin crack...now i will speak from experience....i had a modded shee and a modded 400. the shee was the absolute best climber out there. the 400 sucked so bad coming from a shee. the shee u could hold 3rd wot in powerband....the 400 u hadda crawl screaming 2nd it would not pull 3rd. and for front end popping up the 400 definately did that. the banshee would stay, it did not spin as bad as every1 says either. i had bandits on in 1st they would spin but after that it was fine, and u didnt notice the spinning cause u were moving so fast it really didnt matter if they did....

AndrewRRR
11-12-2003, 11:56 PM
Four strokes are faster if you don't know how to keep a 2 stroke on the pipe :D

RIDER11X
11-13-2003, 12:53 AM
No, I haven't, but heard about it. Sounds like a place my wife would like me to try... :eek2:

Don't worry......................Crazy Honda will keep her company.:blah: :devil: :devil:

Plante400
11-13-2003, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by bansheeguy77
dude u seriously must be smokin crack...now i will speak from experience....i had a modded shee and a modded 400. the shee was the absolute best climber out there. the 400 sucked so bad coming from a shee. the shee u could hold 3rd wot in powerband....the 400 u hadda crawl screaming 2nd it would not pull 3rd. and for front end popping up the 400 definately did that. the banshee would stay, it did not spin as bad as every1 says either. i had bandits on in 1st they would spin but after that it was fine, and u didnt notice the spinning cause u were moving so fast it really didnt matter if they did....

I dont know what You are talking about, my 400 climbs some big ***** hills in 3rd gear no problem. SOMEtimes i hafta downshift at the tip top

2001400ex
11-13-2003, 09:23 AM
Those are awesome videos:p and that 250R that goes against the raptor has some POWER!

bansheeguy77
11-14-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Plante400
I dont know what You are talking about, my 400 climbs some big ***** hills in 3rd gear no problem. SOMEtimes i hafta downshift at the tip top

i wont get into it, but downshifting is bad on hills....never hadda downshift on the shee only upshift. i would love to see an equally matched 400ex beat a banshee in a climb...= as in mod for mod....

LTandRaptorider
11-14-2003, 05:47 PM
Don't worry......................Crazy Honda will keep her company.:blah: :devil: :devil:

Yeah, I think he's done too much of that already...

But I still have the nicer quads!!! :D

400exrules
11-14-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by 2001400ex
Those are awesome videos:p and that 250R that goes against the raptor has some POWER!

yah that raptor has some power too...

ive got a couple videos (from a website) of sparks 465ex's against that raptor....they pretty much stay right beside him the whole way

nofear911
11-15-2003, 01:11 PM
Hey BansheeGuy77

Bring It!! I have never seen a shee climb the stuff we climb on EX's and R's. Have you ever climbed in strip jobs with shale hills? Thats what most of our stuff is,but we climb alot of dirt and clay hills. I do admit, where there is good traction like clay, Banshees do pull good.

RIDER11X
11-15-2003, 08:12 PM
Hey BansheeGuy77

Bring It!! I have never seen a shee climb the stuff we climb on EX's and R's. Have you ever climbed in strip jobs with shale hills? Thats what most of our stuff is,but we climb alot of dirt and clay hills. I do admit, where there is good traction like clay, Banshees do pull good.
Where is this at?:cool:

11-15-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by bansheeguy77
thats what i thought. plus the banshees are longer so i thought it was harder to get them to pull up. i wouldnt be climbing monster hills wit my 400. i think that the lt500 is king followed by the banshee.

bansheeguy77
11-15-2003, 09:42 PM
Hey BansheeGuy77

k i will....u obviously havent seen tc or the hills i ride....all it is is coal hills here....if a 400 can climb it i guarantee a shee can climb it and usually 2ce as fast :blah:

LTandRaptorider
11-16-2003, 08:59 AM
I'll bring the camcorder!! :D

2001400ex
11-16-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by 400exrules
yah that raptor has some power too...

ive got a couple videos (from a website) of sparks 465ex's against that raptor....they pretty much stay right beside him the whole way

Gimme the links!:p

Adam202
11-16-2003, 09:59 AM
whatever my stock banshee can climb my stock 400ex can. whatever my stock 400ex can climb my stock banshee can.

DREWS400EX
11-16-2003, 10:16 AM
This works good for hillclimbing.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid89/peee665e66e60471119a9337fb917546c/fa8c06a0.jpg

bone705
11-16-2003, 07:25 PM
what the hell is that thing? looks kinda beefy.

DREWS400EX
11-16-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by bone705
what the hell is that thing? looks kinda beefy.
Its a 1000 kawasaki motor bored to 1300cc. My dads other hillclimber is a cr500. He says its hard to keep his feet on the pegs:eek2:

lildude
11-16-2003, 08:43 PM
i dont have experience riding a banshee but from what i see....banshees were made for hillclimbing....i THINK the reason they climb better is couse there front end isnt as jumpy on the hills like the 400ex's

400exrules
11-16-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by 2001400ex
Gimme the links!:p

here they are...

two 465ex's against each other
http://www.ljsoftware.com/Videos/fswdrags8.wmv

Sparks 465ex beating Sparks Raptor :D
http://www.ljsoftware.com/Videos/fswdrags21.wmv

Others:
Banshee Chick vs. piped Raptor.........lmao
http://www.ljsoftware.com/Videos/fswdrags3.wmv

Gecko Road Sand Rails haulin
http://www.ljsoftware.com/Videos/fswgeckorails.wmv

Quads and bikes at Gecko Road
http://www.ljsoftware.com/Videos/fswgeckoquads.wmv

2001400ex
11-17-2003, 12:33 PM
Thanks exrules.:D

VIC
11-17-2003, 12:44 PM
See the roost on banshee chick's run!!

2001400ex
11-17-2003, 04:18 PM
Yeah that Banshee hauls some major ***, but it's far from stock too...

AndrewRRR
11-18-2003, 12:09 PM
Nice!
Hopefully pretty soon I'll get both my shee and R out to sandlake and get some vids. They are both around 80hp. The R still has a +4 swingarm so I need to get my +8 so I can launch it without ending up on my back. The shee does okay with a +6 but I want a +8 for it also to keep the front end down a little more.

Oh, and it's probably different because we are on sand and have traction, but so far I haven't seen a 4 stroke that can come anywhere close to beating any of the banshees or R's in our group (although I am the only R). I suppose if it was a slippery surface the wheelspin could hurt a 2 stroke.

RIDER11X
11-18-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by AndrewRRR
Nice!
Hopefully pretty soon I'll get both my shee and R out to sandlake and get some vids. They are both around 80hp. The R still has a +4 swingarm so I need to get my +8 so I can launch it without ending up on my back. The shee does okay with a +6 but I want a +8 for it also to keep the front end down a little more.

Oh, and it's probably different because we are on sand and have traction, but so far I haven't seen a 4 stroke that can come anywhere close to beating any of the banshees or R's in our group (although I am the only R). I suppose if it was a slippery surface the wheelspin could hurt a 2 stroke.

Just out of curiosity, how would you guys do in the sand with a sort of slalom course going up between poles causing you to turn 45 degree turns both ways where you have to slow down to make the corner, and then climbing an extended section of the hill diagonally. Just to give you an idea of what us woods guys do only I don't know how to show you logs, tree roots, and wet clay. :p ;) :D

AndrewRRR
11-18-2003, 01:15 PM
Just out of curiosity, how would you guys do in the sand with a sort of slalom course going up between poles causing you to turn 45 degree turns both ways where you have to slow down to make the corner, and then climbing an extended section of the hill diagonally. Just to give you an idea of what us woods guys do only I don't know how to show you logs, tree roots, and wet clay. :p ;) :D

There are trails and treeshots that we run that have corners, slaloms, etc. For example banshee hill at Winchester bay has a zig zag in the middle of it you have to slow down for.
I'm not saying 4 strokes don't make it up hills, but most I see seem to just lug up the hills rather than accelerate up the whole thing like 2 strokes do. I guess for going over stuff that you have to go slow over would give advantages to bikes with lots of bottom end. Keep in mind the +1 gncc rider ballance still rides a 2 stroke...

RIDER11X
11-18-2003, 01:38 PM
There are trails and treeshots that we run that have corners, slaloms, etc. For example banshee hill at Winchester bay has a zig zag in the middle of it you have to slow down for.
I'm not saying 4 strokes don't make it up hills, but most I see seem to just lug up the hills rather than accelerate up the whole thing like 2 strokes do. I guess for going over stuff that you have to go slow over would give advantages to bikes with lots of bottom end. Keep in mind the +1 gncc rider ballance still rides a 2 stroke... For sure! Two stroke are the best climbers with the exception of really slippery surfaces. Even if you need to slow down, a two stroke comes back to life with the clutch like no other!:eek2: Plus the two stroke keeps the front wheels planted better too. I can't tell you how many hills I've climbed on my 400 that I would have made if I could only stay on course because I couldn't keep the front end touching the ground very long! Of course I don't quit till I can't go any farther making my own path then.......:D

DaveEX7
11-18-2003, 01:58 PM
I ride EX400Furys 400ex, and my friends Banshee every day!
We usually go to the coal hills and they let me take there quads up a hill or 2. From what I have experienced, whenever I haveta shift down on the 400ex to second gear, the nose will begin to come up... when I shift down on the Banshee the nose stays down surprisingly, but the Banshees tires just light up, amost no traction, its like as soon as it tries to bite, it still spins.

I like the 400ex.:D

LTandRaptorider
11-18-2003, 02:34 PM
For sure! Two stroke are the best climbers with the exception of really slippery surfaces. Even if you need to slow down, a two stroke comes back to life with the clutch like no other!:eek2: Plus the two stroke keeps the front wheels planted better too. I can't tell you how many hills I've climbed on my 400 that I would have made if I could only stay on course because I couldn't keep the front end touching the ground very long! Of course I don't quit till I can't go any farther making my own path then.......:D

I could tell you! :devil:

And sometimes you and your quad make separate paths on the way back down... :eek2:

But hey, at least you're out there trying them! For some reason I always shy away from the hills you've tumbled down... :o

RIDER11X
11-18-2003, 05:37 PM
I could tell you! :devil:

And sometimes you and your quad make separate paths on the way back down... :eek2:

But hey, at least you're out there trying them! For some reason I always shy away from the hills you've tumbled down... :o
Except with age comes wisdom, no more trying to save the ship............man and machine parts company when the going gets ugly..................and in my case that's usually at least once per ride!:D

Don't worry, I got a spare steering stem!:macho

LTandRaptorider
11-18-2003, 05:48 PM
Yeah, I learned that some time ago. Too bad you weren't riding with me a few years back when I flipped several quads back down hills. I became quite adept at getting out of the way. ah... I can still hear some jack@ss counting the endoes my quad did on the way down. He forgot to watch for my helmet though, which I ripped off and whipped at his head... first scratch I put on that helmet!
:devil:

Glad to hear I won't have to watch you trying to catch a 400 pound quad on it's way back down!

BTW, haven't heard from Crazyhonda on here for a while... but I hear the guy that bought his banshee is still kicking @ss and not worrying about the names. Can't wait to see Crazy's frankenstein project... do ya think he received the short end of the stick... again? :rolleyes:

RIDER11X
11-18-2003, 06:02 PM

Don't worry, I got a spare steering stem!:macho

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/rider11x/web%20pics%202/Steering%20stem%20002.jpg

Notice the curvature toward the top!:devil:

310Rduner
11-18-2003, 06:23 PM
I'm not saying 4 strokes don't make it up hills, but most I see seem to just lug up the hills rather than accelerate up the whole thing like 2 strokes do. I guess for going over stuff that you have to go slow over would give advantages to bikes with lots of bottom end. Keep in mind the +1 gncc rider ballance still rides a 2 stroke...

Exactly. Every 4 stroke I've ever ridden in the sand (400ex, 300ex, predator, raptor, Ds650) all seem to rely solely on Momentum to get up the hill, as soon as you slow down a bit and take away that moment they never get the power going to make it all the way up. With my R I can start at the bottom of a hill with my front tires on the slope and just take off screaming in 2nd, power to 3rd-4th if the hill is long enough and keep it revved all the way up and over. I have gotten countless raptors stuck by doing this right on the hill they are climbing from like 20 feet back; usually I will line up with tires on the slope, tear all the way up and by the time I come down around they are lining up about where I was trying to make it up. I've only seen 1 guy on a modded raptor be able to do this. Gotta love having a powerband:macho When your in the powerband there's just that feeling of acceleration, and the thoughts that only the biggest hill would be hard to climb
:D

RIDER11X
11-18-2003, 06:37 PM
Climbing in sand would be sweet! If you roll it what could you hurt on the quad? If you don't make the hill you spin down in so the quad doesn't roll back down the hill without you. I'd try almost any hill in the sand. It would be like Pastrana jumping in a foam pit for practice, before trying the real thing on real dirt!:cool:

Just Kidding duners!:blah: :devil: Just having some fun with ya!;)

LTandRaptorider
11-18-2003, 06:40 PM
Hmmm... Marc in the sand, trying anything... Sounds like a recipe for disaster!

Nice curvature on your stem, by the way... :eek2:

RIDER11X
11-18-2003, 06:46 PM
Hmmm... Marc in the sand, trying anything... Sounds like a recipe for disaster!

Nice curvature on your stem, by the way... :eek2:

That's from when I rolled back down that hill and it was in the creek on it's side!:rolleyes: You remember it stopped pretty close to your Raptor.:eek2:

LTandRaptorider
11-18-2003, 06:49 PM
Yep, for a minute I thought I was on a horse the way it stopped, when you rolled back down! I had to get off and coax her a different way.

I forgot to yell SPLASHDOWN when you landed... :devil:

RIDER11X
11-18-2003, 06:57 PM
Yep, for a minute I thought I was on a horse the way it stopped, when you rolled back down! I had to get off and coax her a different way.

I forgot to yell SPLASHDOWN when you landed... :devil:

LMAO! I know I can count on you!
Yeah, I'm retiring from the practice of stopping tumbling quads with my groin too.(Don't ask long story):eek2:

LTandRaptorider
11-18-2003, 07:41 PM
LMAO! I know I can count on you!
Yeah, I'm retiring from the practice of stopping tumbling quads with my groin too.(Don't ask long story):eek2:

Isn't that how you bent your stem??? :eek2:

DaveEX7
11-21-2003, 07:46 PM
Free bump.;)