PDA

View Full Version : Thorns in tires

free_rider20
02-10-2002, 04:50 PM
I am wanting to go riding in some woods, but i have seen some locust trees scattered through the woods. I have a rancher with stock tires, that are almost wore completely down . Would the thorns off of the trees puncture my tires? If i get a 400EX, would those tires puncture from the thorns? Thanks

brink400
02-10-2002, 04:54 PM
Those thorns would definately puncture the tires. I have had about 4 different tires go flat because of those stupid thorns. I have ran over those thorns with my 400 and have pulled them out of the tread but havent had any real punctures. I dont know if its because I got lucky or if the thorns just werent in the right spot to do any real damage.

Striker49
02-10-2002, 07:13 PM
He's right. Those thorns will eat those worn tires. Id recommend gettin some 6-ply tires next time you are lookin to order some. That way they are stronger and harder to puncture. ;) I wouldnt chance it with those worn tires unless youve got some spares. :p
Dunno if it would eat 400 stockers or not, but I wouldnt recommend tryin it. :cool:

LEE314EX
02-10-2002, 08:41 PM
before you go pump some tire sealer in the tires and if u get a thorn in the tire put a plug in it

Scott
02-11-2002, 08:16 AM
The thorns from a locust tree will go through the stock 400 tires too.

Carry a plug kit and a small bicycle pump.

or

Add one of the many tire sealers on the market to your tires.

And next time you get tires, get at least 4ply, and I'd recommend 6ply tires. You will still get a punture every now and then with 6plys, but they will be few and far between. 6ply tires with sealant in them are about the best you're going to do.

MOFO
02-11-2002, 09:49 AM
Yep...I have to agree with everyone. Even if those tires were brand new, the thorn can go right through them. After the "first" ride on my new 400EX I woke up the next day to find out I had a flat tire. Damn thorn. I purchased some "slime" and it sealed that tire up and did not leak until I replaced them because of tire wear.

I would also recommend a 4/6 ply tire as well. Much better at resisting tire puncture. If you ever do get a hole/thorn during your ride, they do make a slick kit now. It comes with all the tools needed to patch/plug your tire. Then they give you a CO2 loader that fills your tire back up. (same type of C02 cart that you would use for a BB gun) I'd recommend this kit to anyone....its saved my butt a few times.

Eric

250exer
02-11-2002, 12:29 PM
I've had thorns go through the stock tires on my 300 4x4. Don't know how they compare to tires on EXs.

Scott
02-11-2002, 12:35 PM
Honda run Goodyear 2 ply tires on their 4x4's, or at least on the Foremans. They look good, but get puntures from about everything.

JabberJaw
02-11-2002, 01:08 PM
Yes, I agree, you can puncture stock tires by staring at them too hard. I would try a set of 4 ply if you want to go a little on the lighter side. 6 ply tires are heavy! 40+ lbs added with just the rear tires.

free_rider20
02-11-2002, 05:23 PM
Hey, thanks everybody for replying. I have another question even though it is gonna be a while. After I get a 400Ex and the stock tires wear down, what tires would you reccomend for just trails and cruising around that will last for a while?

Striker49
02-11-2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by free_rider20
Hey, thanks everybody for replying. I have another question even though it is gonna be a while. After I get a 400Ex and the stock tires wear down, what tires would you reccomend for just trails and cruising around that will last for a while?

Yeah, what he said.
My POS left rear has a piece of bark or some shibby jammed in between the tire wall and the rim and there a big chunck taken outta my rim from where I hit somin. :confused: I was ridin it a little earlier and it was pretty low so Ive gotta work on it tomorrow. Ive just had a sucky day, my pos comp has screwed up 3 cds tryin to burn em and I ended up crushin one in my hand earlier.....just been one of those days. :(

Scott
02-12-2002, 05:58 AM
Jabber: 6ply holeshot XCTs (22x11-9) weigh about 17 lbs each I'm ordering a set and the shipping depends on the weight, that's the only reason I can tell you what they weigh. Now if you go with an aggressive mud tread, they weigh a lot more. 28" Vampires weigh 36 or 38 lbs EACH!!!

freerider: Good all around trail tires are kind of personal preference. I like the holeshots, my friends run razors, some guys run dirt devils, realators, or all traks. I can get 2 years of play riding out of a set of holeshots, but I don't get to ride every day or every weekend, so I'm probably not a good example. Holeshots, razors, and shredders are all about the same tread pattern. The razors seem to be a little softer rubber and wear a little faster than the holeshots, but they hook up well on about anything. Shredders are pretty good, I just thought the holeshots hooked up better and lasted longer. I haven't tried the dirt devils or realators, but the all tracks go very well in mud and snow, but they're heavier than razors/holeshots/etc.

Striker: most of the time, if you take that bark/wood out of your bead, it will reseal, or you can get it to seal with a little bead sealer.

Striker49
02-12-2002, 05:16 PM
I got it fixed today. I let all the air outta it and my gpa helped me out some and we got it out and so far the bead has resealed itself. I was just POed yesterday. lol.