PDA

View Full Version : HRC CAM MOD or NOT?

stryker
11-09-2003, 06:36 PM
Everyone,

Just wondering if it would be smart to order the HRC CAM Mod with my new R or would it be smarter to wait for an aftermarket replacement. I'm not sure if it will be price competitive or as good as aftermarket. Please throw in suggestions for manufacturers. Also, if I should wait what shop in So. Cal would be good enough to work on my new Baby. Thanks for your input :cool:

linkcmd88
11-10-2003, 05:49 PM
my dealer is throwing it in for free so im geting it lol:macho

stryker
11-10-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by linkcmd88
my dealer is throwing it in for free so im geting it lol:macho

If I could get it thrown in for free I wouldn't think twice about getting it. We'll see, I haven't found a dealer I want to do business with yet.:cool:

bigz-71
11-10-2003, 08:21 PM
hey link,
how much are you paying for the R and where?

dirtriderex
11-10-2003, 08:50 PM
man how are all these guys getting such good deals

linkcmd88
11-11-2003, 03:05 PM
im paying 6499 but would have the kits any way so take off $400 im geting it from honda sport topeka ks

Bretmd94
11-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Im thinking about it just because it will be under warrantee. That and im not going to have much money to go out and buy exhaust and what not for a while after i get it. 300$ for jsut a cam, jets, exhaust tip, and a air box lid seems steep.

BigAl
11-11-2003, 04:05 PM
My dealer said the HRC kit voids the warranty.

That seems odd, but you might want to check it out for yourself.

bigz-71
11-11-2003, 04:58 PM
that does seem odd since honda is putting it on and offering it. i want the wattenty since this is the first year on the motor. i want to know if will hold up to my riding (well i like to ride hard). i was reading the article on here and they saw something like remove the spark arrestor. your telling me for 300$ they are not even giving you a new exhaust. i would hope they at least give you a more restricted exhaust than just removing the spark arrestor. the air box lid is a cool thing but its still not worth 300$ and the cam shaft. i think i might just stick with aftermarket items.

stryker
11-11-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by bigz-71
that does seem odd since honda is putting it on and offering it. i want the wattenty since this is the first year on the motor. i want to know if will hold up to my riding (well i like to ride hard). i was reading the article on here and they saw something like remove the spark arrestor. your telling me for 300$ they are not even giving you a new exhaust. i would hope they at least give you a more restricted exhaust than just removing the spark arrestor. the air box lid is a cool thing but its still not worth 300$ and the cam shaft. i think i might just stick with aftermarket items.

I'm going to have to agree with big-z. It seems a little expensive for what your getting. Your going to get jets if you by a new K&N or something like it anyway and I if there's no warrenty with it installed whats the point. I'm thinking I'll probably wait for aftermarket unless someone can give me a good reason otherwise.:cool:

rtyfz450
11-12-2003, 07:54 AM
I don't think you realize how cheap it really is, go try buying a hcr cam for your 400ex you will see. then look at the price of a new exhaust, just a slip with run you 299 or more especially for a bike that just got on the market. The stock exhaust looks alot better than the one that came with my yamaha, and I bet that a new pipe on the bike will make little difference if it is covered by the dealer or manft. warrenty then it is a great deal. plus I am sure that it has the decompression release in the right place so it will start easier than an aftermarket and will probably run just as good.

bigz-71
11-12-2003, 08:51 AM
I don't think you realize how cheap it really is, go try buying a hcr cam for your 400ex you will see. then look at the price of a new exhaust, just a slip with run you 299 or more especially for a bike that just got on the market. The stock exhaust looks alot better than the one that came with my yamaha, and I bet that a new pipe on the bike will make little difference if it is covered by the dealer or manft. warrenty then it is a great deal. plus I am sure that it has the decompression release in the right place so it will start easier than an aftermarket and will probably run just as good.[list]

i have been reading all the reviews and articles no where it says the hrc package comes with a slip on exhaust. it says in one it is an endcap and the other one the spark arrestor is removed. if it is any thing like the 400ex stock exhaust the spark arrestor is three screws. if they want to charge me to take three screws out, i can do that myself. if it is a slip on exhaust then it is a different story but just for an endcap hell no!

rtyfz450
11-12-2003, 09:24 AM
Sorry that I did not make myself more clear, I was trying to express how the honda had a free-flowing exhaust and I don't think there is going to be a huge power gain from a new slip on. If you put the end cap on it should be good and I think the price is fair especailly if a dealer will include it for free. In comparison, the yfz stock exhaust is horribly restrictive on the engine and basically needs to be thrown out ASAP. I don't know about the trx (I was just speculating) because I havn't had the chance to ride it but I will know soon:devil:

Bretmd94
11-12-2003, 11:34 AM
I wouldnt mind having the cam, but if its not under warrante, than im just going to buy an actual exhuast system (not an end cap) and then a K&N with the air box lid off. I will let other people figure out the best situation for the cam and do that later in the year.

rtyfz450
11-12-2003, 11:45 AM
good idea bret, I am sure that everyone will try something different and we wil hear the goood and the bad

bigz-71
11-12-2003, 02:32 PM
i like bret's idea too. thats what i do on my 400 right now. the lid will not fit on the box anyways. the box is held on my tie straps. its getto but it works. i need a new box but i am probably going to get rid of it after i get the R.

TCracin440ex
11-12-2003, 04:05 PM
ill buy the hrc kit but ill tell them to shuv the endcap up their arses....i just want the cam...lol screw the rest....im dumping the stock carb ne ways.....mines gonna be fcr 41mm equipt and a TC shorty exhaust

MIA450R
11-16-2003, 11:32 AM
Honda offers no warranties on its "closed-course only" racing machines...such as the CR250. You buy it on Monday, race it on Tuesday, and break it Tuesday night....your problem, not Honda's.

Thus, it would make sence that an HRC kit meant for competition (race) use only would void the warranty on a "Sport" 450R, which I am sure, is only a 6-mo warranty anyways. Certainly for a couple hundred extra bucks, you can purchase extensions to the warranty...

86atc250r
11-16-2003, 11:57 AM
The 450R has a 6 month warranty like the rest of Honda's ATV line. It is *not* defined as "closed course only" machine.

That said, accessories offered by Honda do not void the warranty.

The dealer (or manufacturer) can *not* tell you what cam to run, what oil to run, what air filter to run, exhaust, etc... There are federal laws in place to protect us from that.

The warranty remains in place unless the manufacturer can *prove* the modifications you made did damage to the product. It would put Honda in a bit of an odd position trying to prove that accessories that they offer do damage to the product they offer them for.

As for the end cap - many of you are jumping the gun. If you like wasting your money, you can throw some my way. Right now it appears that Honda has designed the pipe free flowing with a very restrictive end-cap silencer to keep it quiet & meet EPA standards in stock form.

If the pipe was engineered with modification in mind, this end cap they're offering could easily create performance & sound similar to an overpriced aftermarket silencer.

Given my experience with these aftermarket silencers (about 4 broken ones on my 400EX over the last couple years), I'll gladly keep the OEM pipe if it runs well with the end cap.

Will the HRC cam be worth it? Hard to say at this point since no one has seen the specs and very few have ridden one. If it runs like the HRC cam does for the 400EX, it will definitely be worth it.

All in all, it sounds to me like the HRC kit will be a bargain if you compare the cost to the HRC cam alone for a 400EX, or even just an aftermarket slip on silencer.

BigAl
11-16-2003, 12:59 PM
Great points on the pipe Gabe, I have re welded my e-series at least 4 times.

I went ahead and jumped on the YFZ bandwagon, may regret it, but I wanted to try ole' blue.

I have taken the sparky out of my stock pipe and rejetted, and it makes the thing rip. I am reluctant to spend $300 on a chunk of aluminum that may or may not do anything but make it louder, and will sure as heck stick out like a target for all my riding buddies to hit.

As far as the Warranty thing goes, all I know is those were the exact words out of my dealers mouth. " We will install the HRC kit if you want, but it voids the warranty".

The kit does sound like a bargain to me.

86atc250r
11-16-2003, 01:25 PM
Print this and show it to your dealer

http://www.ravelco.net/magnusonmossact.htm

Good luck with your new YFZ :)

BigAl
11-16-2003, 02:16 PM
I understand your point completely.

I may be all wet on this subject, and if so that's fine.

The way the conversation was going with the dealer, he led me to believe this was the word from Honda.

This all came about just through general conversation. The dealer was mad at Honda for selling this kit and then telling him if he put it on, it voided the warranty.

Thnks, I hope I don't need the luck.

TCracin440ex
11-16-2003, 02:28 PM
all i gotta say if puttin a cam in it thats offered from honda...and it voids my warrenty...then im just gonna go ahead and put a full race cam in it, and a 13/1 compression ratio piston on it, and a fcr 41mm carb...o yea and lets not forget a full race tc exhaust

atcyalater
11-16-2003, 03:30 PM
Unless you want to continually get your a#% wiped by guys on YFZ450s I would highly suggest you buy the HRC cam for the TRX450. There is no need for a cam on the Yamaha, all you have to do to unleash the beast within is a pipe, K&N and a jet kit.

TCracin440ex
11-16-2003, 03:39 PM
dude wtf is up with all the bench racing...i wish ppl would stfu untill they rode both or they get a test review on both bikes......atc you dont kno that 450r may spank the yfz bad...dohc doesnt nescerly mean more hp....so stick that 1 in your pipe...them 2 bikes will probally be like trying to spilt a hair...untill you see both bikes run with equally skilled riders on them or you have personally rode both of um....keep ya piehole closed

pleasure4qt
11-16-2003, 05:25 PM
HRC cam is exactly the same as the CRF cam you will be a fool for not buying it if you want to unleash more power.

The stock 400ex cam and the 400xr cam were very similar and don't have much of a seat of the pants difference. Not so with the 450R.

You can buy the HRC kit like I will or if you don't want you can just buy the CRF cam.

The stock silencer and end cap if you have a chop saw cut the stock one off and bolt it back on with just the end cap same as HRC.

Cut the airbox cover and make a larger snorkle.

Buy a needle, main and slow jet.

Might not be any cheaper or easier though. *S*

86atc250r
11-16-2003, 06:00 PM
Are you sure about that cam or is that just a guess?

That was my guess, but I had no data to back it up.

Bad Habit
11-16-2003, 06:59 PM
Gabe,
About the HRC kit having the dirtbike cam. I read someplace that this was true, but I cannot for the life of me remember where. No, it was not on a forum. I get surfing for info sometimes and visit so many sites, I have no idea where I was at.:D It seems like it was on a motor builder's site???

ATC83
11-17-2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
dude wtf is up with all the bench racing...i wish ppl would stfu untill they rode both or they get a test review on both bikes......atc you dont kno that 450r may spank the yfz bad...dohc doesnt nescerly mean more hp....so stick that 1 in your pipe...them 2 bikes will probally be like trying to spilt a hair...untill you see both bikes run with equally skilled riders on them or you have personally rode both of um....keep ya piehole closed

I don't know what you are getting upset about. By Hondas own admission they have put a mild cam in the TRX450. Yamaha has not put a mild cam in the YFZ450. It is the same cam profile as the YZ45F dirt bike. So if you want to have power level similare to the YFZ450 you better put the HRC cam in it or be prepared to be spanked by every guy with an uncorked YFZ450.

TCracin440ex
11-17-2003, 01:23 PM
no what he was infering that the yfz 450 in stock form is better...and no 1 has rode either 1 cept a few people....but like i said if me putting an HRC cam in the bike....then fugg it ill get a full race cam

2004TRX450R
11-25-2003, 01:54 AM
I would and will get the HRC power up kit. If it is anything like the HRC stuff for the sport bikes it will probably be as good or better than anything aftermarket. Honda designed the bike so they know how to make it run good. I don't belive the YFZ has the YZ cams but rather the WR cams wich are different and aren't like the last few years where you just move the exhaust cam oine sprocket tooth. Also they may make good power from the get go but that doesn't mean that you couldn't use a different cam to get more power and it would be twice as expensive to do so. Also just because Honda is offering an upgraded cam doesn't mean that the stock one is "detuned" or weak from the get go. I would be willing to bet stock for stock the Honda will keep up with if not beat the YFZ. We'll find out soon enough though. I have a friend with a YFZ and I was actually pretty impressed with the power it made. I'm looking foreward to stomping him though!:devil:

stryker
11-25-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by 2004TRX450R
I would and will get the HRC power up kit. If it is anything like the HRC stuff for the sport bikes it will probably be as good or better than anything aftermarket. Honda designed the bike so they know how to make it run good. I don't belive the YFZ has the YZ cams but rather the WR cams wich are different and aren't like the last few years where you just move the exhaust cam oine sprocket tooth. Also they may make good power from the get go but that doesn't mean that you couldn't use a different cam to get more power and it would be twice as expensive to do so. Also just because Honda is offering an upgraded cam doesn't mean that the stock one is "detuned" or weak from the get go. I would be willing to bet stock for stock the Honda will keep up with if not beat the YFZ. We'll find out soon enough though. I have a friend with a YFZ and I was actually pretty impressed with the power it made. I'm looking foreward to stomping him though!:devil:

Let me know what you think of it when you get the HRC modded bike!! I'm sure a lot of people like me will be interested in what the HRC kit will do! I agree that honda should know best how to increase the performance of their own engine but it just seems a little expensive for the kit and what your getting with it. I will probably try and see if I could just get the Honda cam by itself some how and not pay for the other crap that I won't even use. It's going to be fun to battle it out with the YFZ. There are going to be many YFZ vs TRX battles soon to come. Go Honda!!:D

holeshot19
11-25-2003, 06:25 PM
i asked him what the bike needed to race gncc racing far as the cam was conserned and he replyed all it needs was a pipe doug e said it was fastttttttttttttttttttt.:p

stryker
11-25-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by holeshot19
i asked him what the bike needed to race gncc racing far as the cam was conserned and he replyed all it needs was a pipe doug e said it was fastttttttttttttttttttt.:p

Was he saying fast w/ the cam mod?

holeshot19
11-25-2003, 06:55 PM
no camm

2004TRX450R
11-26-2003, 12:16 AM
Stryker, I'm sure I'll be posting on here what I think once I get it. I'm going to ride it and brake it in first before I start modding it. We have a guy at work that has been doing some pretty sweet head work and it will get that at the same time it get's the cam so it will be hard to say what did what but it will be fast for sure! I have a friend with a YFZ and I talked to him tonight about making a dune trip in the middle of Dec. after I get it and it's on! I can't wait. The wait is just KILLIN' me!!!!!!:eek:

TC17
11-27-2003, 09:51 AM
since it's right from Honda, i'd get it because they know exactly how the engine is build and runs and this is specifically designed for that, the other companies will just try to mimick it and sell it for more. with the HRC kit you get the end cap, you wouldn't need a $500 system then, you get a jet kit too. so i think the HRC kit is perfect. it'll sound decent, a lot more power, and jetted right for 300 bucks, that's a deal in my eyes.

stryker
11-29-2003, 01:36 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2004TRX450R
Stryker, I'm sure I'll be posting on here what I think once I get it. I'm going to ride it and brake it in first before I start modding it. We have a guy at work that has been doing some pretty sweet head work and it will get that at the same time it get's the cam so it will be hard to say what did what but it will be fast for sure! I have a friend with a YFZ and I talked to him tonight about making a dune trip in the middle of Dec. after I get it and it's on! I can't wait. The wait is just KILLIN' me!!!!!!:eek: [/Q

That sounds like the smart thing to do! Get the work all done at once so you don't have to keep taking it apart! I've been thinking that I would ride the trx until the 6 mo.warranty is up on the motor and then have all the work done on it, unless the HRC kit would be warrantied also. Do you live in the Los Angeles area? If so, could ya give me any suggestions on a good shop or person to work on my bike. As far as your buddy with the YFZ and the dune trip, I'm sure we will all want to hear your head to head comparison.:)

The wait has been kill'in all of us!!

11-29-2003, 04:29 PM
I get mine next Monday Dec 8th. I already have a PRM Desert bumper, AC Racing nerf bars, full chassis skid plate and XC grab bar waiting to bolt on. I hope it is on time I race XC in Florida and have a race on Dec 13th. I took that week off of work to break it in before the race. I want to race it instead of my 250R.

stryker
11-29-2003, 04:36 PM
I'm waiting until my birthday in March to buy mine! I hope to have all the goodies for it before then and to also have figured out if this HRC kit is worth it!:cool:

jgfarmsracer
11-29-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by BigAl
My dealer said the HRC kit voids the warranty.

That seems odd, but you might want to check it out for yourself.

hrc kit does not void warranty

but warranty lasts about as long as it takes to leave the dealership

2004TRX450R
11-29-2003, 09:34 PM
Stryker,

Well I'm personally not to worried about my warranty. I could probably mod the crap out of it and still get it covered as I work at the Honda dealership. I'm not really expecting to have to wory about getting anything covered anyway. I hope it comes in on the 8th so I can take it the weekend of the 13th to the dunes but it looks like my buddy might not be able to make it. I don't know for sure yet though.

stryker
12-01-2003, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by 2004TRX450R
Stryker,

Well I'm personally not to worried about my warranty. I could probably mod the crap out of it and still get it covered as I work at the Honda dealership. I'm not really expecting to have to wory about getting anything covered anyway. I hope it comes in on the 8th so I can take it the weekend of the 13th to the dunes but it looks like my buddy might not be able to make it. I don't know for sure yet though.

I do trust Honda and their reliability! But just to be on the safe side I will wait. Not that I want to but just to be sure that there will be no immediate problems with anything. It would be nice to have a Honda shop in my back pocket so I wouldn't have to be so cautious. Hopefully your buddy will get on it and get out there with ya for your first real ride on your new bike. I'm sure that you could get half of the guys from this site that live around your area to show up to test ride that baby w/you if asked.:devil: