PDA

View Full Version : ? on axle install

pnut420
11-09-2003, 05:07 PM
I just bought a magnum carrier with new bearings in it, I also got a burablue axle with a wave sprocket hub installed on it. It is really smooth when a put the axle almost all the way in the carrier, I can feel it spin easy in the bearings, but when I press it in all the way against the carrier,(when it slips inside the gasket) it starts to get really stiff. Is this normal or should the axle spin inside the carrier really easy, just feels like I have alot of drag once the hub presses into the gaskets. I am also just going to use the stock lock nut for now, I should be ok if Im not racing yet.
Is their something that goes between the carrier and sprocket hub or does it just press against the carrier? Its my first time doing this so Im a little nervous.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/p5e9939175687b3b187c33de677a9e545/fa99eb3a.jpg

pnut420
11-09-2003, 06:11 PM
Bump...... Rico..... anyone??????

toby400ex
11-09-2003, 07:21 PM
All looks good to me, sounds like ur doin it right

JOEX
11-09-2003, 07:46 PM
The pic is a bit dark but looks about right to me. I don't know anything about the Magnum carrier, does it have a zerk fitting? are the bearings and spacer greased?

I have a Burgard carrier and had to beat the mofo in.

The stock lock nut should work but some have had problems keeping it tight. They wrap electrical tape around it to keep it tight.

If you can afford it I highly recommend one of the aftermarket pinch bolt type lock nuts.

Joe

pnut420
11-09-2003, 08:34 PM
It seems like I have everything right, I think it just needs to be broken in. I put plenty of grease through the zerk fitting... I noticed the stock carrier has 2 rubber gaskets that rests against the swingarm when you tighten the 4 bolts down, but it seems like this magnum carrier didnt have any slots for the gasket so I just left them out.

crookedeyemoto-x
11-10-2003, 12:03 AM
sounds good to me, keep it greased good you should be fine.

11-10-2003, 08:11 AM
When i installed a burgard carrier i had ta beat the mofo in there also. It was very tight..:o If you ever question a tight axle. Once you get the axle in and everything on it, tires, etc, as if it's ready to ride. Grab the grab bar and jerk the rear end side to side on pavement. YOu'll here clunkin from metal hitting metal. You'll know if anything is loose back there.:cool:

pnut420
11-10-2003, 10:04 AM
I know nothing is loose, but when it is tightened all the way it seems really stiff to spin, but once I get the tires and everything on, I should be ok. Thanks for the help...

JOEX
11-10-2003, 12:20 PM
Make sure you aren't tightening the lock nut too much. It will put too much pressure on the bearings and they go out too soon.

Joe

pnut420
11-10-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Make sure you aren't tightening the lock nut too much. It will put too much pressure on the bearings and they go out too soon.

Joe

I gave it an estimated 20 psi or so, it was really stiff even before I tightened it down. Its just where the sprocket hub slides inside the gasket on the carrier is really stiff, the gasket will probabaly loosen once it heats up and is broken in.