PDA

View Full Version : rigid,kinking chain??

02-10-2002, 01:17 PM
I lubed my chain last week with bel-ray super clean lube but the chain still seems real stiff and rigid. Also, it seems to be ticking the front sprocket every time it goes by making a really annoying sound. Has anyone had this problem? Is it time for a new chain/sprocket kit?

02-10-2002, 03:16 PM
Assuming you just have a crudded or rusted up chain, you might get your hands on one of them chain cleaner kits. I just got one a few months ago and it sure makes short work of cleaning it. It's a little box that attaches to the chain with a little sprocket and brushes inside. You fill the box with their cleaning junk or simple green or somthing similar and it scrubs your chain six ways from sunday. I got mine from Chaparral in So. Cal, but I'm sure they are available at most bike/atv shops. Can somebody else here recommend an online source?

JOEX
02-10-2002, 05:08 PM
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/

Look under tools.

Joe

400exRacerX
02-10-2002, 07:07 PM
Well if your chain is kinking and is binding up its time for a new chain and sprocket....How long have you had this chain and sprockets? I change mine once or twice a year depending on how much and hard I ride and what type of sprockets they are.

"BLAHH"300!!
02-10-2002, 11:44 PM
i just lost a master link on a trail today...it didn't break loose just poped off the sprokett..lukily we were still close by the trucks and i got a tow back after i took the chain all the way off.....if only i had looked at my bike a little closer while washing it before we left...did the oil did the filter.. tire's.. gas....micalanius bolt's...wisk mop-n-glo..and windex..but i didn't look at my chain....

check your sprokett's teeth for the poping noise..i had an old moose sprokett that was missing 3 teeth in a row and making this poping noise ....yeah they all broke at once..i don't recomend moose sprokets'..either the stocker..still holing up like a champ...though i did take it off for a long time after i got the moose..or some renthal's,,,,if i were you i'd go ahead and get all new sprokets' and chain...i always keep my old one's around coverd with oil in a buckett of some sort....(clean it before you put it in there....

SGA
09-03-2002, 08:09 PM
My stock chain is real stiff. I keep it clean and I was using chain wax on it. Was told to use wd40 to make it kink less. Yesterday I used a chain break and removed the chain for the first time. There was plenty of grease in the link pins. I washed it and sprayed it well with wd40. It still kinks up and is stiff.
Its like the o-rings have become stiff. Is it time for a new chain?

400exRacerX
09-03-2002, 08:49 PM
Yes, when you chain kinks and get stiff, thats usually a indication that its shot. I go through about 2 chains a year 3 at the most. I reccomend the d.i.d. x-ring atv chain. Its worth the cash.