PDA

View Full Version : brake pads

luvmyex
02-10-2002, 12:22 PM
the first set of pads i put on lasted about 3-4 months.But the last few sets wear out very quick.The last set only lasted 3 weekends of ridding.Is there a special way to put them on or something i need to do?The rotor is a lil worn but not that bad.Whats up with this?

Stevo
02-10-2002, 06:24 PM
On your next set of brakes. Get the severe duty ebc's. They last pretty long, mine have been lasting for about 6 months. Take the e-brake off too or loosen it if you haven't allready.

Make sure u clean the rotor too when you put them on.

Holty
02-11-2002, 12:28 PM
you're p-brake is probably out of adjustment and is rubbing your pads down prematurely. either adjust your parking brake, or get a block off.

Scott
02-11-2002, 12:43 PM
Holty is on the right path.

Lose the parking brake cable.

Remove the worm gear assembly that works the parking brake on the rear caliper.

Put on a block off plate

Clean up the two bolts the pads mount on. When these get dirty or corroded, the caliper sticks and your brakes drag.

I learned all this the hard way, 3 sets of rear pads in 3 rides.

To see if I'm right, remove the two bolts on the swingarm side of your caliper that hold the parking brake arm to the caliper. I'll bet you'll find crud in around that worm gear.

JabberJaw
02-11-2002, 01:03 PM
Will those 'Severe Duty' brake pads be harder on the rotor?

luvmyex
02-11-2002, 02:14 PM
thanks guys.the p brake is as far out as it will go without falling off.I'll have to check to see if its full of dirt.Ill take it apart and clean everything up good and see if that helps.