PDA

View Full Version : My Chain Did Not Want to TIghten Up

yellowrider
02-10-2002, 10:12 AM
gosh darn what did i do this time!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

last night when i was trying to tighten up my chain it seem like it didnt want to tighten up i had the bolts loose and i was ulling my hardest to try to get the chain to moev ... i did have some mud around it to also i hope that was the promblem... but anyhow i some how managed to get my chain tight does anybody know what the promblem is and please say i dont need a new one my mom will kill me cause i still havent got done paying her back from the pipe i think now i owe her like 480 dollars or something i am working my butt off ...

so has any of you had trouble with tightening your chain??

kc 300EX
02-10-2002, 10:35 AM
That is proabably a bad sign, Id say pull off the housing and lube it up real good, I already had to replace a housing, trust me, you dont wanna do that

QuadRacer041
02-10-2002, 12:25 PM
the stock carriers always freeze up,
try to spary some wd40 on it and ajust it often so it stays free and doesnt freze again

yellowrider
02-10-2002, 01:46 PM
thanks i will do that i managed to get it tighten a little the thing where you put the allen wrench did not was to turn ...

thanks

TRX250XFIRE
02-10-2002, 02:16 PM
i would put some of that WD 40 in there, i dont think that u have any mud in there cause if u did then it would tear apart ur axle carrier barrings. what are u useing to pull on it to tightin the chain?

QuadRacer041
02-10-2002, 02:54 PM
alot of times the rubber o rings on the stock carriers sticks to the housing

JOEX
02-10-2002, 05:12 PM
I can't help you with the chain but I recommend cleaning you quad after every ride. It makes working on it much more pleasent.;)

Joe

yellowrider
02-10-2002, 06:26 PM
well i used to like it to look nice but it never stayed that away and its been wet and mudy for every i may come this spring clean it up.. it shouldnt be any biggy at least i hope its not...

NJ300ex
02-10-2002, 06:50 PM
Did you ever notice that everything you try and do to your quad never works. I believe this is because you abuse your machine and you are not mechanicly inclined at all. I recommend that you start taking care of your ATV that costs alot of money and have someone who has experience dealing with ATV's work on your machine.

This was not meant to be a flame. It is just some advice.

400exRacerX
02-10-2002, 07:05 PM
I clean my quad after every time I ride No matter if its only alittle dirty.

CBW
02-10-2002, 07:14 PM
a clean quad is sooooooo much easier to work on.....the others are right your orings probably got stuck..........and they are hard to budge once they do that......here is my "clean" 400ex

"BLAHH"300!!
02-10-2002, 11:34 PM
yo' bike is so bright.......i gotta wear shades....:cool: :cool: ....:huh

.....hey man are you trying to tigten your chain with the rear wheels on the ground....??.....i usually lift the rear end of the bike it makes it alot easier to tigten the chain like this.....

yellowrider
02-11-2002, 04:00 AM
yes they was on the ground... but i always did that and it always worked before .. so i dont know what is wrong...

oh as for abusing my quad yeah right i treat that thing like a baby!!

but there is no use in cleaning it and riding it agian when it is wet.. cause it is going to get dirty again...

and yes you are right about me not being mechincly inclined i have never worked with tools the only thing i ever built was out of legos and that didnt look to pretty either.

oh yeah i change my oil after around 6-9 gas tanks .. i know people go 6 months with out changing oil..

02-11-2002, 09:39 AM
My machine is spotless and I also froze my axle housing but It finally busted loose.
Get some breakaway (not that evaporating wd junk) and lube at the split often and this will help.
Dont take the flames personal, if you can learn something from it than thats wonderfull but just remember its your machine to do as you please with.

02-11-2002, 01:29 PM
Yellowrider, i understand that you had a lot of promblems with you 300ex .. if i was you i will trade it before you end up having several more promblems that may not be fixable. and no i was not kicked off!! i went on a trip to the country to see grandmother anyways

honda is not as good as they used to be so get over it and buy a yamaha!!

TRX250XFIRE
02-11-2002, 06:01 PM
when u say that hondas are not as good as they used to be....they are still 5 times better then any yamaha!

MOFO
02-12-2002, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by warrior2002
Yellowrider, i understand that you had a lot of promblems with you 300ex .. if i was you i will trade it before you end up having several more promblems that may not be fixable. and no i was not kicked off!! i went on a trip to the country to see grandmother anyways

honda is not as good as they used to be so get over it and buy a yamaha!!

Would you drop this "yamaha is god's gift - get rid of your honda" attitude. This is a Honda site. If you dont have anything informative to say, dont say anything at all. All you have been doing is trolling around looking to start a flame......its getting old. Grow up.

Eric

Scott
02-12-2002, 07:20 AM
weenie2002: The flames forum was eliminated from EXRiders for a reason. If you want to be a tool, go do it at the kill stories forum on bluetraxx. Or any other forum for that matter.

yellowrider
02-12-2002, 08:59 AM
i finally cleaned my quad yessterdsay.. i have lots of scratches more than i thought but not to noticable... it was cleaned for maybe a hour tops then it got dirty again then last night when i finally got hom ( i had to push it half way done the road cause my friend alreaddy went to sleep and we woke him up 3 times already so we thought we push it this time) then i was crossing the road to get on my road i turned and by golly it was black top!! i slid a little bit on the gravel that was still there and then got it up on two wheels turned there bars busted my knee then i was gong the other way so i had to turn the bars again and busted my other knee and burned my leg but did not flip!! just was a little embarass cause my friends were still with me and scared me to death !

if i ran 2 mix gas will it hurt anything on my motor cause i dont have any more gas right now and i dont have enough gas to ride it to the gas station so i was thinking about putting a half a take of 2 cycle engine oil it is also mixed at 50:1 most people told me it wouldnt hurt and it will help it run cooler and one person told me that it will hurt the piston my wb pipe and bunches of other things that are inside the motor ..

i am a big guy and i got 5 feet of air and it didnt bottom out ?? i thought you guys said it would... i was scared to hit it at first but i just worked my way up ( i went up 2nd then 3rd then 4th then i got 5feet of air and landed smooth.

Scott
02-12-2002, 09:11 AM
You probably don't want to run pre-mix for a 2 STROKE in a 4 STROKE. See the difference?

Take a gas can and go get some gas.

If you do decide to run it, the first thing I would expect it to do is foul the plug. Plus you're just wasting money. 5 gallons of gas is cheaper than 5 gallons of gas mixed with 2 stroke oil. Besides, if it was intended for a weed eater, use it for that. Unless you're riding a weed eater.

yellowrider
02-12-2002, 09:51 AM
i didn't do it i got some gas a little while ago i took my mom car she was still asleep.

you know what i am thinking about trading my 300ex for a 400ex pretty soon . i should be getting a job and i have a choice of moded my 300ex or going with a 400ex i might get a raptor i dont think i will but it is also a option...

i am just always on the gas of the old 300 and i think i am going to do some real damage to it so i think it is time to get a bigger and stonger bike that has some kick in it.. when is the suz coming out anyhow>? i will consider that one to..

Warrior 2002 why is it you only get in my post?? i choosed my 300ex for a reason !!! if i had gotton that warrior it would already been in a junk yard some where.

"BLAHH"300!!
02-12-2002, 12:01 PM
i was low and saw a tank over there and filled her up...got home that night and my dad asked where i got the gas.....blah mixed gas.....it didn't hurt anything or run funny....i just ran it all out before i put in new gas....i'm not plannin on doing it again.but....you know.

yellowrider
02-12-2002, 04:34 PM
what could i do to stop running in so many promblems?

here is what i been doing
changing oil after 6-7 gas tanks
and oil filter
cleaning the air filter when i change the oil
and when i remember i greese my chain.

what else could i do to prevent damaging stuff on my 4 wheeler??
here is a list of things i am going to stop dooing

deep water crossing
stop leting it wined out through 1st and 5th gear ( take it easy more often... ) its like every time i get on it it seems like i have a drag race with myself
STOP LETING MY FRIENDS RIDE IT THE POP THE CLUTCH TO MUCH AND THEY THINK IT IS FUNNY
try to clean it more often

if i do all of that you think i shouldnt have as many promblems as i got now??

"BLAHH"300!!
02-13-2002, 12:05 AM
i try never to do any deep water crossings....i did one this weekend to get to an ole' crazy guys' house....but it didn't get above the bottom of my airbox...(i have a hole in the bottom...) about to be fixed when i find somethin' thats the right size to slip in there and glue (j/b/ weld) in it or on it or over it..what ever it needs...

mine i try not to wined it out for a long period of time...mainly just short quick open runns up to a jump or through one of those looooong sideway's turns...those are fun....but as far as going from one place on a long open trail to another place a long way away...a long ride....i just kinda putt along...1/4-1/3 throttle....just makes more sence....

i learned not to let freinds ride..expecially if there drunk freinds who havn't had a quad a day in there life...if it's one that has a 400ex or raptor...or some sort of quick action.sport type bike /motorcycle at home...i'll let em' ride it...but if you hear that ole...."aw com-on man...i grew up on these things..i bet i could prolly out-ride you...ask him i know how to ride..."...."you a punk man...i'm not gunna hurt it.."...kinda sob stories...be strong hold your ground..."YOU CAN'T HAVE THE LAST SLICE OF BUTTER"...tell em'...".new raptor is about $6000.00 prolly around $140.00.a month....400ex is around the same payment's a month...you can afford that huh.."

i clean my bike all the time...even if it's one of those days where i don't want to ride my oils changed,,chains right,,gased up already washed....i'll go out and mess around with it....break out the "WISK"..and shine that S.O.B. up...get some mop-n-glow for the plastic an' some windex for the rim's frame and shocks....looks sweet when it's clean...
i forgot about my chain last weekend and paid for it that same day...my master link..(could have gotten cought on some grass/vines or somethin')...but it poped loose and luckily my chain only came off the sprokett instead of breaking and slappin my case...but it's fixed clean,,oiled and shiney out in my shed ready for this weekend's ride...when's friday.?...

TRX250XFIRE
02-13-2002, 04:28 AM
i do kinda the same thing when i clean my bike as u do, i polish the plastic all up and clean the wheels. i have a pressure washer so it makes it a bit more simpler to clean the frame and things. u would not belive how much dirt is under ur plastic. once in a while i will take it off and mud is just caked under there. i also try to spray every moving part i can see with WD 40.

"BLAHH"300!!
02-13-2002, 12:35 PM
...i'm going up to the car wash with about 40$ - 2 gallons of wisk
and an entier day to kill..haha...i just hit it with one of those water hose presure squirter's here at the house ....and nope,,no caked up mud under my plastic.....it's prolly dirty....but i've taken the plastic off...none was there...and i havn't been through mud sence then....so i'm good there......i just want all that "baked" on dirt on my motor to come off....the wisk is slowly taking it off....but man...i got to sit there and spray a half bottle of it on that one spot to put a dent in it.....but it is comming off slowley....

damm....got me thinking about it now....go to go...later......

yellowrider
02-13-2002, 07:43 PM
gosh
i cant clean my yet !!

all we have is bleach and tide and window cleaner

and something called orange?? and some kind of pads that makes the black plastic shine but not the yellow part.

i have to get osme wish over the weekend ... i hope this stuff works casue i hate scrubbing a hard to reach spot then getting it dirty 5 mins later ...

and i am going to get me some wd 40 to spray all the moving parts and i am going to get my chain thing fixed or get it looked at i dont even know if there is somehting wrong with it but i cant wait to long cause i only have a month left on it so i think i am going to mess with it tomorrow or friday and see what ever is wrong with it .. and if i can fix i or not .. i dont think it is anything major at least i hope not..

i dont know what to do if i never found this site!!!
this site rocks!!

"BLAHH"300!!
02-13-2002, 08:31 PM
and you've loosend all 4 ( i think it's 4) allen head bolts..(i hate allen head...i strip em' every time...gimme a socket and a regular bolt.)....and it wont turn even a little bit huh...?.....hummm....next time you do it lift the rear wheels this makes it tons easier to get it moving....plus if it doesn't move you can look under the swing-arm for trash or what ever...try moving it a little bit in both directions to try and break loose what ever is holding it....whens that last time you fooled with it....do it more often....i have to do mine about every 6 or so rides....but i had some welding done back there after a wreck a while back.....spray it wd-40 wile your messing with it..it'll come loose.....put some *** behind it....

TRX250XFIRE
02-14-2002, 04:18 AM
The allen bolts on the back of mine got striped the first time i tried it. now i have one that is a metric size and one that is a standerd, o well. but hey, how do u use the wisk to clean ur bike?? i have been waiting to order my new parts so i have been in the garage everyday cleaning it and greaseing. i got a lonestart axle, front works shocks, new hubs, swingarm barrings and a couple of little things. im pretty exctied to ride with with my new axle and shocks, i wonder how much of a diffentence it will be??

yellowrider
02-14-2002, 04:22 AM
Rico said 75% waater 25% wisk and it should do the job and let it set for a while then spray it off

TRX250XFIRE
02-14-2002, 04:27 AM
hey thanks, u anwcerd that pretty fast..

"BLAHH"300!!
02-14-2002, 11:55 AM
1 part wisk 3 parts water.....i useually do mine twice since i just started doing it here recently and i have all the stuff on my motor....i just sit there and..squirt squirt .with a windex bottle full of it....on one side when that bottles empty i refill and do the other side...them go mess around for about 10/20 minutes while leaving the bike in the shade..or hit it with a mist of water everyonce in a while....spray it off and dry the whole bike--windex the front shocks rims and frame up in that area.(when i really want it clean)
the swingarm and rear shock and handle bar...them mop-n-glo i just pure it on the fender's and wipe ot iff..no rinse....take ya' time and get it all out.....if you get the mop-n-glo on your head pipe...when you crank it it gives off this wonderfull smell.....

TRX250XFIRE
02-14-2002, 01:51 PM
hey 300, how do u like ur dura blue axle, did u notice a big differnce in it? i was just wondering cause i got one comming in the mail and im to excited to wait and find out for my self.

TRX250XFIRE
02-14-2002, 01:53 PM
im going to try that wisk thing tonight it sounds pretty cool...my motor looks pretty nasty.

"BLAHH"300!!
02-14-2002, 10:05 PM
..i had to get one my stock one was bent...it fit's good and tight
and seems to be goin' good...hasn't bent or anything....hub's go on good 'n' tight sprockett an all that...

keep your chain tight..i've noticed where it's come off and rubbed on the axel where it's about to start rustin'....little bitty places but you know....ust little niks...it's extended with the little slip on spacers'..ones an inch the other is a half inch and you can make it
+1 1/2 or stock with.or +1/2 or +1....for each side.so it's kool...

TRX250XFIRE
02-14-2002, 10:21 PM
sounds like a good deal to me, do you race with ur bike or do u just ride the trails?? cause i wanted to do some more MX ing this year but i love to ride on the trails as much as i can and i dont know if they are just good for MX ing or they work fine on a trail to?

"BLAHH"300!!
02-14-2002, 11:24 PM
there's not really any tracks around here...me and freind's make little tracks around when we ride...we have 2 that are pretty fun...just little zig zag around a few tree's go up this hill down back around over there through more tight tree's hit a couple "natural" hill jumps fly'n around racin' kinda..i like having the + on it when doin' all this and just trail ridin' you don't really have to worry when you snap the rear around it just goes..no problems with tipping..(i also have little 18's on the rear so that makes it easier too)...sometimes it's hard to get up on it's side when i try...it's all good....there are some tracks in this state im sure but there a few hours away from me....not just a sunday's ride away ya' know.....it does do good in the trails...thick woods....just pick a good line and you'll learn what tree's are too close together....i had a h**l of a time the other day though...thick woods vines' and on the side of a steep hill....i was picking it up and movin' it around more than ridin' it...i didn't think i was getting back up once i got down...(again small tire's)....get wider'...if for no other reason it's handeling...and looks good...
if you can find the type axel i have with the spacers' get that one..just seams to me better than the bolt on type spacer's

TRX250XFIRE
02-15-2002, 05:08 AM
hey thats all ways good news that they are good in the trail to, i gess i kinda got it lucky, i live in a really small town and i got about 10 close friends that i ride with over the summer. every person i ride with has there own sperate track at there house. i had a abandonded gravel pit that was the most awsomest place to ride ever, everyday on of us guys would go there and just build build build. we had awsome stright up hill cimbing section, a awsome long drag strip, many big double jumps, places were some one has dug into a hill so it makes kinda a half vertical circle and then a huge jump that was on one side of a hill and u jumped over it and down the outher side, it was like a big fourwheeler riding park but olny about 10 of us rode there. But then they a trailer park bussines came and cleared it all out flat cause a trialer park is going there. so we do alot of riding to eachothers house to ride, also there is a ATV racing track that is going national aboiut 3 miles from my house so im going to try that out, i raced last year but he is building a 1 mile long track for this year. so i just wanted to know if they were good on track and in trail to, i think im def going to look into the kind of spacers u have, they sound realibale and the extra 1" will do me good. hey thanks for all ur help!

yellowrider
02-16-2002, 09:52 PM
what was i thinking.... my chain thingy has no more holes left to grip to pull pack to get the chain tightenin i noticed that today ... i am slow... so i think it is time for a new chain..

oh i love my pipe now but still havent got it ffixed

and another thing
my friend with the red 4 wheeler that is taken a crap right now..... we switched plastic in the rear it looks so stupid that it is cool we also switched tires today...

anyways i am haveing a grreat time with my 300ex got like 5ft of air and did not bottom out i was hitting the jump in 4th gear tomrrow fith gear i am going to be flying

i have a question today when i was getting some air when i started to get really high my 4 wheeler wanted to leave me in the air... it would drop down faster than i wanted it to it was a weird feeling but fun any ideas ...
i have been landing flat to also cause i heard that is the best way to land so i have been lucky so far and landed on all 4 wheels at once..

"BLAHH"300!!
02-17-2002, 06:20 PM
hey man...you should be landing or your rear wheels first...it does give it a nice feeling to land on all fours on smaller jumps..but 5 foot of air is about when i'd start landing on the rear wheels first...don't pull back on the bars too hard just kinda work it around and get it right....landing on all 4's is kool when hittning smaller jumps or going over a log in the trail...also...when you get used to that much air..(like it's second nature).....don't hold on as tight and let your hands kinda float around the hand grips...(hold on when you land)...after you feel this...let go on your next jump...i did it for the first time yesterday...let go right hand about 4 times left hand...them said "BLAHHH!!" and let go all together..(landing with no hands is tricky though...i became a pro-at landing on my nards....that sux.....

as for your chain..i'm not sure about the newer modles but mine goes around and around...getts tighter and looser and so on....so you never run 0ut of holes to make it go around....get what ever your usung to turn it with ..get it under the swing arm and go around again....it'll come back on top....leave a little slak in your chain...