PDA

View Full Version : how to get bearings out of carrier?

Martin Blair
11-07-2003, 10:07 PM
Alright i know i can put it in the oven and they would come out what tempature? Also can i just knock the bearings straght threw the whole carrier or is it steped?

11-07-2003, 10:31 PM
very difficult, the oven trick may have helped but it was still VERY difficult & took me about an hour & alot of cussing, mnaybe I was just unlucky :huh

gizmocor
11-07-2003, 11:19 PM
You need to get yourself some torches and heat that sucker up. The aluminum expands a lot faster than the steel, so after a little while the steel bearing will drop right out. You can't knock the bearings through one side, there are stops for the bearings on both sides. I like to put the new bearings in while the carrier is still hot, because they drop right to the stop, then you just let the carrier cool. This isn't the best situation for the grease or seals in the new bearing though. (Propane torch is not hot enough!!!)
I used to just beat them out, they will eventually come out that way as well, but there isn't much to hit on when getting the 1st one out.
Good Luck, hope this helps
Cory

suck my pipe
11-10-2003, 02:07 PM
I had my dad take mine to work with him and they put a tack weld on the bearing to a peace of scrpa meatle so they could grap onto it and i believe they put the carryer in a vice and hit the peace of scrap and knocked the old bearings out.

kinda brutal but it worked and didnt do damage to the carryer:devil:

11-10-2003, 02:10 PM
I just bought a new carrier and ditched the POS stocker.. :blah:

For $120 you can't beat a new billet carrier with grease zerk..:cool:

Natertot426ex
11-10-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Rico
I just bought a new carrier and ditched the POS stocker.. :blah:

For $120 you can't beat a new billet carrier with grease zerk..:cool:

Where did you get one for $120??

toby400ex
11-10-2003, 02:16 PM
I used a crow bar and a hammer the last time i changed my bearings.

11-10-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Natertot426ex
Where did you get one for $120??

burgard has them for that.. or at least they did. The site ran a special on them and i'm not sure if it's still goin on or not.

Rip_Tear
11-10-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Rico
burgard has them for that.. or at least they did. The site ran a special on them and i'm not sure if it's still goin on or not.

Where is the grease zerk on it? I like Rad's with it on the side...

coryatver
11-10-2003, 05:34 PM
I have a rad with the zerk on the side. It is great to just grease it up and not have to drill a hole in the swinger or take the axle out. But the zerk in the center verson probley spreads the grease out more evenly.

Martin Blair
11-10-2003, 05:44 PM
oven works great, getting the new ones in there this weekend as soon ad rma gets them here