PDA

View Full Version : how to take off the axle

Butters
11-07-2003, 09:23 AM
how do you take out the axle so you can put new bearings in??

400exdad
11-07-2003, 10:59 AM
That'll be pretty tough to explain in the forum... you might want to get a shop manual for this and future projects/problems.

But heck, I'll try.

1. Remove the caliper.
2. Break loose the right side hub bolt. You'll need a good sized socket for this.
3. Remove the rear wheels. (its nice to have the wheels on if you don't have an impact or it's REALLY tight)
4. Locate the locking nut and retainer on the axle next to the rotor. Get two large wrenches and hold the outside nut (retainer), while turning the locking nut. I think you want to pull up on the inside wrench, but I could be wrong... I get confused here and have to check out the manual everytime. :confused: Anyway, it will either loosen or tighten... loosening is what you want. :)
5. Turn it inward until there is about a 1/4" or so between the locking nut and the retainer.
6. Next turn the retainer inward until you expose the snap ring.
7. Remove the snap ring.
8. Remove the hub.
9. Slide axle assy, thru carrier to the left after you have removed the chain from the sprocket.
10. The rotor along with the caliper holder will be left on the right side of the swingarm.... note the location and order of those and the retainer assy. Also note the thin o-rings around the caliper bracket that must be reused.
11. Slide the carrier from the swing arm once it is loosened... should have been loosened to remove the chain.
12. I know there are some posts for bearing replacement in the carrier... there is no good way. Prepare for busted knuckles and cuts.
13. After replacing the bearings, reverse the procedure for installation.
14. Sufficently (make it really tight) tighten the outer retainer
and lock it in place with the lock nut using red lock tight on the threads. BTW, it is a good idea to remove the outer retainer and lock nut from the threaded portion of the retainer (when it is apart) to get all of the old lock tight off. It will make it much easier to re-tighten.
15. Have patients and use caution what you lay the carrier on when slamming the bearings out of it.
16. Good luck! and if someone sees I've missed something, please add or correct it.... I don't have my manual handy! :D

Butters
11-07-2003, 01:06 PM
ok that helps alot. the only other question i have is which way the lock nut and retainer turn. i've yet to get the retainer thing to even move.

11-07-2003, 02:12 PM
inside nut goes DOWN (from rear of quad) to go closer to the caliper first...when it is about 6 threads away from caliper you can then move the outside nut DOWN to gain access to the snap ring around the axle...remove that & then remove everything...easy as cake :p

Butters
11-08-2003, 03:37 PM
thanks.....

honda250xrider
11-08-2003, 04:28 PM
o and make sure u put it on right... i just came to find out when i push my axle side to side it will move about 4 inches :eek: , i'd also recommend getting a new lock nut while you are at it also might save ya down the line

norcalatver
01-30-2004, 07:49 PM
anybody ever have trouble getting the nut to move? I got the locking nut to move easily, but the large nut is a *****!! I soaked it and everything. Ended up just beating it around with a hammer and a wrench 'til it was tight again!

JD400exrider
01-30-2004, 09:52 PM
Norcal, Your leaving your hammer at home when we put mine together. :D

01-30-2004, 10:54 PM
hell the hammer is a nessaceary tool in removal of the axle. its also a bitoch to get out of the carrier sumtimes but not when ur carrier is busted up and cracked in half like mine:p

01-30-2004, 11:00 PM
ps if ur carrier is shot u got one more day for the burgard bearing carrier special u guys better jump on that like a chiken on a junebug.

JD400exrider
01-31-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Jingle
ps if ur carrier is shot u got one more day for the burgard bearing carrier special u guys better jump on that like a chiken on a junebug.

Good Point Cannot beat the deal on that burgard carrier. Mine should be here any day. ;)

01-31-2004, 03:47 PM
mine too when did u order urz? i got mine on last tuesday so i should have it by the end of next week i hope. they said it ships out in two days.