PDA

View Full Version : 250r guys please help.

Moded86R
11-06-2003, 10:39 PM
I am currently in the process of putting my 250r motor back togother.

I just got new center cases and crank.I have the center cases put back togother.I triple qaudruple checked that every thing was right.(according to my clymer manual)So after splitting the cases for the millionth time and have to get another gasket I am have concluded that my problem has to be something to with the shift drum.But what is it.

The problem is the trans will lock up when you shift gear.Like let's say your in neutral the trans spins freely.Then when you put it in gear it will spin a couple rotations and then freeze up.Spin it the other way and the same result.It spins a few times then stops.

I did have the gearshift drum and all of that apart.Of course there is always a little margin for error.I did what my clymer manual says to the T.And it is still doing this.I have been fighting this for over a week now.And I am getting really frustrated.

Has this ever happened to any of you guys while you where putting your R togother?Thanks for any help.I wanna ride this thing again!

airheadedduner
11-07-2003, 09:46 AM
The way the clymer manual shows you how to put the tranny together is wrong. I forgot exactly where it is. I think one of the probs is it shows 5th gear in the opposite direction. Don't take my word on it. If you can wait till sunday I can scan the diagram out of my factory manual and email it to you. Just tinker with it. I would put it together without the gasket, but just snug everything down. Turn the countershaft and check all the gears. Last time I did my buddies R it took me 5 tries to get it right by following the clymer manual. Everything else it is okay on though.

Moded86R
11-08-2003, 10:41 AM
That would be great.

I am going to wait and order the puller that honda has to pull the crank case apart.It is pretty stuck togother and I don't feel like ruining my new center cases or my brand new crank.

I am also going to get a hinson clutch basket and a new clutch.The my lower end will pretty much be brand new.

Now if I could just figure out how it is put togother!

Still hoping to be able to ride it by thanksgiving.

Red Rooster
11-09-2003, 07:37 AM
I would guess that you have a tranny shaft assembled wrong. I'm glad that when I had my motor apart I didn't disassemble the shafts..... cause I have a clymer. I don't know much about it, but I hope you get her back in working order.

Moded86R
11-09-2003, 01:17 PM
when I get the puller to pull them apart easily.I plan on taking the main bearing out of my old center case.So I can take it off and put it on easily.Then I will figure it out.Until then there is nothing I can really do.

Plus I am sick anyways.

I never had the shafts apart.I just took them and put them in the new cases.The only gear I had off was the biggest one on the end of the countershaft.That is why I can't figure this out.There is nothing I can see physically stopping it.

I am really dumbfounded by this whole thing.

airheadedduner
11-09-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Moded86R

I never had the shafts apart.I just took them and put them in the new cases.The only gear I had off was the biggest one on the end of the countershaft.That is why I can't figure this out.There is nothing I can see physically stopping it.

I am really dumbfounded by this whole thing.
When you take it apart take that gear and flip it over. then gently put it together without the gasket and run it through the gears turning the countershaft. that gear is what I did wrong. I can't find my damn factroy manual at the moment. I think one of my ridding buddies has it:grr:

Moded86R
11-09-2003, 02:21 PM
I'll do that thanks for the info.