PDA

View Full Version : Hiper Wheels

gimp419
11-06-2003, 03:48 PM
Guys I am wondering if anyone has had any problems out of the Hiper wheels? I love the way they look but don't know if they are worth the money. Can the carbon fiber really hold up to MX racing? Just wanting some feedback, thanks.

Also any problems with them leaking since they are modular wheels?

sparks400
11-06-2003, 07:05 PM
i dont have them but i heard good things about them, all the pro racers use them in XC and MX, so im asumming there good. i would like to get some but $$ is an issue

cdalejef
11-06-2003, 08:06 PM
1.5 years and not one single problem!!!

Wingnut
11-06-2003, 08:18 PM
I did have a Hiper wheel crack. I hit a root pretty hard on an up hill, but the wheel still held air long enough for me to finish the race. After calling Hiper, I had the FREE replacement part within a week. I'd recommend them to anyone.

11-06-2003, 08:25 PM
1.5 years as well and I have had a set of razors on that have been on for about a year, and they still hold the same air pressure!!:eek2:

If you bolt the beadlocks on correctly they will never leak unless the tire does!

they are definately the best rim on the market

WHo needs aluminum when you can have carbon fiber and be able to actually flex the rim, instead of flat spotting it:cool:

1-877-GO-HIPER!!:devil:

ny300exrider
11-07-2003, 05:11 AM
i think ill be getting a set of hipers when winter ends. i should have enough money by then, i hear nothing compares

gimp419
11-07-2003, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, sounds like these wheels will take a beating. It is just hard to believe that Carbon Fiber can hold up to the same abuse as an regular beadlock wheel.

Wingnut
11-07-2003, 09:37 AM
It is not just a regular carbon fiber like the hoods are made of. The wheels are made of a carbon fiber, rubber, nylon mix. Hiper claims that the carbon fiber makes it strong and light, the rubber gives it flexability, and the nylon holds it together. The wheels are thick too, more than I expected anyway.

cody anderson
11-07-2003, 11:07 AM
I got them and love them!

funluckey
11-07-2003, 11:35 AM
Got mine last month from The Quad Shop........awsome

11-07-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by cody anderson
I got them and love them!

NacsMXer
11-09-2003, 02:20 PM
Gotta year on my 9x9 dual beadlocks now with absolutely no problems. Absolutely the best wheel I have ever bought. All my friends bend their .190 red labels landing off the same jumps that I do and my Hipers just soak up the hit and return to the original shape. I will never go back to traditional beadlocks again. At 200 bucks, they're worth every penny if you ask me.

racerx573
11-09-2003, 02:32 PM
My friend snapped his in 1/2. No he did not break the bolts or the center piece, he broke one of black wheel 1/2 parts in half. He overshot a tabletop and landed flat coming down from about 20 feet in the air. I guess when they say they tested them hard and stuff, they did not test this aspect. This is the only 1 I have ever seen break, besides the early models leaked air some or something. But other than that, they look pretty trick, and seem to be holding up for everyone else... my friend also badly bent his RPM axle on this jump, so it gives you an idea of how bad it was.

NacsMXer
11-09-2003, 02:41 PM
Anytime you land flat.......especially from 20ft up in the air, you're probably gonna break something whether its on your bike or yourself. I can't imagine what that would do to a regular rim. Good thing about the Hiper's is they are fully modular and replacable in sections in the rare case that you do manage to break something. Also had no air retention problems with mine. Got any questions, feel free to ask. :D

NTPRacing#19
11-09-2003, 02:58 PM
they make every other brand of wheel obsolete

jb500ex
11-09-2003, 03:40 PM
i agree with everyone, i was skeptical of buying carbon fiber but its more of a plastic. absolutely the best rim you can buy, nice people at the company also

mxracer89
11-10-2003, 03:44 PM
ok i don't like them at all....i had some and i broke both back rims.... big old chunks out of em....i said ok i can handle that..i didin't even come up short or over shot any thing..so i reaplaced both the inner part of the wheel witch was the part that broke..and a couple of weeks later of racing i looked down and i have a crack in them.....they didn't hold air for me and i mean come on $190 for a tier...your not going to tell much when you ride on one...the only thing that your going to tell is that you have no money cuz you spent it all on tires that arnt that much better if anthing then alluminum

NacsMXer
11-10-2003, 03:53 PM
You have to keep in mind that there are different models of Hiper Wheels out there. I believe mine are Tech 2's or Tech 3's or as I was told from Tom, owner of Hiper Wheels. That means that they are 2nd or 3rd generation in terms of the design engineering. The 1st generation Hiper's were the first design and I believe had the air retention and strength issues. This has pretty much been worked out now and I can tell you from experience that this is hands down the best rim I have ever used.

11-10-2003, 10:04 PM
are teh rims 200 bucks per rim or for a pair of them?

Meek
11-10-2003, 10:15 PM
They are about 190 EACH.

NacsMXer
11-10-2003, 10:17 PM
Sorry, to clarify, a 9x9 Hiper Wheel with dual beadlocks inside and out sells for 185 dollar, a 10x9 would be 180 dollars per rim. A top of the line Douglas beadlock rim sells for around 170 dollars So the Hipers are really competitive because of the great features that the rims provide.

Meek
11-11-2003, 02:06 AM
What is the best way to clean the rings? I have red rings, and I am unable to get the black scuff marks that trees leave on them off. Got any ideas.

NacsMXer
11-11-2003, 11:05 AM
Tom at Hiper says to use Acetone to clean up the rings, it should not hurt them. You can get it at any hardware store. Ive done it and it cleans them up a little bit, but any dark deep scratches from rocks and stuff are sometimes stubborn. Id say acetone is your best bet, maybe a scotch brite pad too if it won't scratch it.

Meek
11-11-2003, 10:21 PM
I will try that when I get home, and I will let you know the results.

Thanks for the info.

Meek
11-13-2003, 12:17 AM
The Acetone worked, but not as well as I would like. O well it is a race quad, not for show.