PDA

View Full Version : Raptor handling charicteristics

XANDADA
11-06-2003, 12:37 PM
I have a buddy that was looking at picking up a new Raptor this weekend but when we were at the dealer the salesman said that it was not a good woods machine. He said that it was very hard to get to rear end to break loose due to the short wheelbase/swingarm dynamics. Can anyone comment on this? He suggested the z-400 instead but my buddy prefers the Raptor because of its better power & larger overall size. He is a large guy - 280 and just feels more comfortable on the Raptor. Any other comments on its woods/trail handling ability when compared to the z-400. If you have 1st hand experience with either or both I would greatly appreciate your input. Thanks.

02exchic
11-06-2003, 01:53 PM
My husband rides a raptor and he loves it. You can break the back end out....don't think that guy knew what he was talkin about. They are a lot of fun, my husband loves his!

I however, am partial to the ex! ;)

ZSK
11-06-2003, 04:06 PM
That guy must be full of s##t. You can break the back end loose on ANY quad or atc if you use the right body english.

CUZ'n
11-06-2003, 04:07 PM
da sombeech hanles likke a fat gurl.

Insider
11-06-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by CUZ'n

:huh i think he is right

remlapr
11-06-2003, 04:19 PM
How tall is your buddy? I'm 6' 1" and 260 and ride an 400EX. I really thought I needed a "big" quad too - but I think that is just a misconception of people that don't have experience riding, like me at the time. I pound the chit outta my EX and it handles it no problems and when I'm actually riding I don't feel cramped at all and I think the Z is actually a little roomier feeling then an EX. If people were more educated walking into showrooms maybe they wouldn't keep buying all these damn craptors :mad:

As his buddy that is already into quads please stop him from that mistake

11-06-2003, 07:54 PM
i rode my friends craptor while it was still in one piece...the first week (fell apart very shortly after that). & it handled TERRIBLE compared to the EX or Z or almost any other quad. my friend always wants to switch four wheelers & stuff while riding but I say no b/c its so unconfortable to ride & tipsy...if there was one word to describe a raptor it is "squirrely" :huh :p

cruzen raptor 1
11-06-2003, 09:44 PM
You guys must just not no how to ride cause i can keep up with ex in the woods any day

11-07-2003, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by cruzen raptor 1
You guys must just not no how to ride cause i can keep up with ex in the woods any day

you must have extended a-arms, aftermarket shocks, & an extended swingarm/axle? or you must be racing a half retarded blind monkey or the woods you ride in are completely straight& reuqire NO turning:rolleyes:

XANDADA
11-07-2003, 06:41 AM
A lot of differing opinions here! I appreciate the feedback. Trust me I tried to talk him into a 400ex or yzf450 even a cannondale, but he demands reverse gear - no exceptions. Just sitting on the show room floor models he likes the feel of the Raptor over the z-400. I could care less really what he gets so that he is happy and has fun. I just don't want him to get the Raptor to find out that it just isn't an easy to ride and fun machine. Thanks for all the replies. Keep them comming if anyone has anything else they would like to share. He is only about 6' tall but built like a 280 lb. wrestler.

XANDADA
11-07-2003, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by CUZ'n

interesting take on the situation Cuz, care to extrapolate on that a little:eek2: :o

CUZ'n
11-07-2003, 06:58 AM
it ok az longg as u is drivn strait. but if u tryn to do angless den u wil b habin tribles. day hab goode powr but iz uglyy likk a fat gurll:bandit:

remlapr
11-07-2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by XANDADA
A lot of differing opinions here! I appreciate the feedback. Trust me I tried to talk him into a 400ex or yzf450 even a cannondale, but he demands reverse gear - no exceptions. Just sitting on the show room floor models he likes the feel of the Raptor over the z-400. I could care less really what he gets so that he is happy and has fun. I just don't want him to get the Raptor to find out that it just isn't an easy to ride and fun machine. Thanks for all the replies. Keep them comming if anyone has anything else they would like to share. He is only about 6' tall but built like a 280 lb. wrestler.

Tell him he can't tell what it's going to really be like on the trail from just sitting on it! How many people have said the YFZ feels small to them until they actually rode it then it felt fine.

bradley300
11-07-2003, 10:42 AM
you should care what he gets! that r of your wasnt made for pullin' lol. i didnt like the one i rode either, plenty of power, but like everyone else said, its too tippy and very heavy. i dont like the z's either, but will still say he will be much happier on one.

bradley300
11-07-2003, 10:43 AM
if he is dead set on a craptor, show him the price of a good set of ssd shocks, he's gonna need 'em.

RIDER11X
11-07-2003, 12:09 PM
I have considerable seat time on a Raptor, and the handling gets much better with them widened about 5" front and rear.

But, beware the problems don't stop there! The tranny's are still not good shiftinf due to the linkage on them, and they still make alot of strange noises when ridden fairly hard.:( The footpegs bend easily, the blue plastic shows white creases in it quickly.

11-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
I have considerable seat time on a Raptor, and the handling gets much better with them widened about 5" front and rear.

But, beware the problems don't stop there! The tranny's are still not good shiftinf due to the linkage on them, and they still make alot of strange noises when ridden fairly hard.:( The footpegs bend easily, the blue plastic shows white creases in it quickly. my friend experienced ALL of these problems withing the 1 2 weeks when it was brand new..now he is redoing the whole engine & still owes $6000 out of $7500 for that POS....lol

coryatver
11-07-2003, 03:28 PM
My friend has a raptor and he has no problem riding it fast in the woods. But he also has a lsr axle. The axle on raptors are acually wider than a 400ex stock axle but the hubs do not stick out as much as on a 400ex. I have rode his raptor and i thought to my self how does he ride this thing? But I guess if you ride it a lot you get used to it.

LTandRaptorider
11-07-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
my friend experienced ALL of these problems withing the 1 2 weeks when it was brand new..now he is redoing the whole engine & still owes $6000 out of $7500 for that POS....lol

it was my Raptor that rider11x had his considerable @*** on... or was that your @ss spent considerable time on... anywho... it was the footpeg extenders I put on that bent... after you rammed me! :eek2: True, the blue plastic shows white stress marks, that just adds character to it. What noises are you referring to? I've seen a couple of posts on here about what a pos they are, and how they have lots of problems. Mine is a 2001, so I was nervous about tranny problems, weak axle, gears. so far the only complaint I agree with is the shifting... it sucks! I replaced the shifter with a Roll Design, which eliminates the linkage. This helped the shifting, but it's still not very good. I've had no problems with the tranny, axle, gears, one way bearing etc. I've only raced it once- flat track, and don't pound the sh*t out of it... but I haven't been exactly easy on it either. I didn't like it's handling, and put wheel extenders on which helped a lot. But I was used to my LT which is low and wide. I've seen many riders rip through the woods on a stock Raptor with no trouble. So my advice? Everyone quit trying to tell this guy what he wants, it's his decision. Just because someone else thinks they're crap, doesn't mean he won't love it. If he buys it and doesn't like it, he'll sell it and get something else. Tell him to see if the dealer will let him take it for a spin around the shop. Good luck, and by the way... I have a Raptor for sale!!

:D

ls1west
11-09-2003, 06:43 AM
I just traded my 2003 Raptor in for a 400ex. A stock Raptor is really top heavy. I put wheel spacers and a lowering kit on mine before I felt comfortable throwing it around. I am only 165 lbs. My suggestion would be to go with the Raptor if that is really what you want. The reverse gear in the Raptor gave me a lot of trouble in mine. The tranny felt like I was shifting without pulling in thew clutch all the time. The fit and finish of the Raptor is not the best compared to the Honda. I was also not a big fan of the dual carb setup. On the other hand it was fast. It had plenty of torque. Riding with EX's and Z400's was nothing special in the trails. On an open stretch you could gain Bike lengths on them, but you won't lose them in the twisties. If you ride dunes, you will enjoy the extra power of the Raptor. Good Luck.

300exryder
11-09-2003, 07:17 AM
If you are man enough, you can ride the Raptor. I don't know what the situation is in your local riding area but everyone is envious of the Raptor because it kills all of the blasters, 400s, 300s, and other sport utilities in all aspects of riding. It takes skill to be able to tame the Rap and some people just like sharing their biased opinion - I wonder how many of the people that have posted actually own or have owned a Raptor and 400ex...

I'll take my Rap out anyday over my other quads...

nofear911
11-09-2003, 07:32 AM
I have seat time on both Craptor and Z400, I agree neither compare to ex or yfz in the woods. The Z400 is a better choice if your friend can deal with the power difference, not that there is a whole lot. See if you can find a Z400 with a different set of handle bars, I'm 6ft and had to a taller set of bars even on my ex.
I think he will find it to make it way more comfortable, try to talk hi into the Z, it is a way better overall machine hands down.

XANDADA
11-10-2003, 06:54 AM
Thanks for all the info folks, he got a 2004 white/red raptor. At 280lbs. I think it was prolly the better choice for him. I can't wait to take it out for a spin myself.

02exchic
11-10-2003, 11:21 AM
Glad to hear that! My husband loves his! I have to agree though, it definitely seems to take skill and seat time to ride the Raptors well. My husband has been riding for 17 years. Several of our friends have tried ours and do not feel comfortable on it, either do I. I would choose my 400 over that anyday, but you ask my husband the same question and he will choose the Raptor anyday. All a matter of personal preference, all that matters is that you ride and have a good time doing it!

Anyway, hope your friend enjoys his new purchase!!

400grl
11-12-2003, 07:23 AM
My boyfriend races a raptor MX - and even though he admits the handling isn't anywhere near my old 440, he still won't give the thing up! It does take a certain type of person to tame the beast - but once it's tamed, it has definate advantages!!! That power is amazing!!! I don't know how he does it - but then, I'm sort of Honda spoiled......... ;)

Glad to hear your friend got what he wanted! Hope he likes it! ;)

RIDER11X
11-12-2003, 08:14 AM
The Raptor's power is awesome, even with just a pipe and aircleaner swap.

If you are a wheelie rider, they do start to run out of gas at the balance point on extended runs.:D

LTandRaptorider
11-12-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
The Raptor's power is awesome, even with just a pipe and aircleaner swap.

If you are a wheelie rider, they do start to run out of gas at the balance point on extended runs.:D

Oh wheelie?? :D

Yeah, it's easy to get up, but difficult to keep it up. I'm seeing a doctor about that next week... :eek2:

deathman53
11-12-2003, 08:10 PM
I rode a raptor, I didn't like the handling at all, I was rdiing trikes and a trx250r. Now I only rides trikes and I rode a raptor a few weeks ago, I had to lean into it almost as much as the trike, deffinety too top heavy for me. I like the way 250r's and 400ex's handle, alot better. I'd much rather have my very modded 250r trike over a raptor. I got to admit it had alot of power. the whole tranny and one-way gear issue has a big bug in me, I know a guy who replaced his whole tranny with a 2002 and went though 3 one-ways. Now he is having a gear custom made and seeing how that works.

BlkSnShn
11-17-2003, 05:40 PM
I ride my rap in the woods, and love it. But i think you have to have alot of upper body strength to feel comfortable on it in the whoops and tight trails. trying to hold the front end down coming out of the corners and whoops is kind of a pain in the ***. I don't think it's that tippy. And chances are you will at least burn up a one way bearing. I am on my third one. But Finally there is an aftermarket bearing that is much better. that is the one I am running now. I haven't had any tranny problems and I have quite a bit of motor modification. And yamaha fixed the tranny in 2002. i've never bent an axle either.

XANDADA
11-18-2003, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by BlkSnShn
I ride my rap in the woods, and love it. But i think you have to have alot of upper body strength to feel comfortable on it in the whoops and tight trails. trying to hold the front end down coming out of the corners and whoops is kind of a pain in the ***. I don't think it's that tippy. And chances are you will at least burn up a one way bearing. I am on my third one. But Finally there is an aftermarket bearing that is much better. that is the one I am running now. I haven't had any tranny problems and I have quite a bit of motor modification. And yamaha fixed the tranny in 2002. i've never bent an axle either.

He got the Raptor and sounds like he loves it. It fits his needs. Who sells that bearing? I'll forward it to him in case something happens in the future, thanks...

BlkSnShn
11-18-2003, 04:23 PM
http://www.rspconcepts.com/index2.htm

This company sells the new one way bearing and is a great person to deal with. Once your freinds bearing goes out, tell him to get the whole kit.

Quad18star
11-26-2003, 03:18 PM
Ive ridden my buddy's Raptor on thr track ( when his Raptor was in ONE piece) . I find them to be too tall and tipsy . When you come hard into a corner it feels like its gunna roll on you . Also I didnt like jumping it . For myself , it felt like it was gunna nose dive everytime . The front end is just too short for my liking . I like being able to see my front end . Other than that it was a great quad . Lots of power and putting in a K&N filter and a jet kit really made a difference . Just tell your buddy not to roll it down a hill . Looks my my friend is going to spend 4Gs canadian on a new frame steering stem axle , levers, bumbers plastic ..... It's WRECKED and hes only had it 5 months . Dont let other people ride your quad , it could be expensive.

buckNbanshee
11-26-2003, 08:43 PM
imo i think the raptor is a good quad i have ridden a couple of them and i felt comfortable on them they really didnt feel tippy,my uncle is buying a raptor sometime this week,the dealer that he knows very well let him take it out for a couple days to let him test drive it.He seemed to like it so he is going back to buy it.The raptor was all stock it was fast but not super fast,it will spin when you want it to but it will throw you on your *** if your not careful.I personally would rather have a raptor than a 400ex or a z400. i have never ridden a yfz450 so i cant tell you much about them but they are set up for mx if he plans on racing mx then i think he should go with yfz but if he just wants to trail ride then i would tell him to go with the raptor because it is a good trail bike and when you want to go open it up it has plenty of power.

11-26-2003, 09:16 PM
the raptor is a good drag strip bike...if turning is involved the raptor needs to stay away i think. especially on hills...the raptor sucks at those big time., :( everytime I see a raptor they look so cool to me I do want one so bad but deep down I know not to get one b/c I would be very sorry as al lI do is ride trails. My friends has one & IMO it is terrible & lights & stuff fall off of it. More research should have been done into this quad I think. Then I would have definately gotten one. :macho

Roobus1
12-01-2003, 01:36 PM
I have had a raptor about a 9 months now. No problems with it whatsoever. I can tell it's a little more tipsy then my 400ex but you just compensate for that. If you can't compensate, then you can't ride. I'm 5'11" 190lbs, and I whip through the woods. Just because you don't own it, doesn't mean it sucks.

02bwraptor
12-01-2003, 02:06 PM
I don't know why most people say raptor's are not good trail bikes. I ride trails all the time and not very many people can keep up with the raptor. I will be racing it cross country next year. I am 5"11 and 170. I like the raptor over my 400ex. O'well not everyone can handle a raptor. :blah:

12-01-2003, 07:03 PM
i dont own alot of quads but they are strill good IMO...I like almost every single sport except the raptor.....i cant compensate so I can't ride? lol....:rolleyes: I am actually very fast on my friends raptor & can beat him on my 400ex when we used to race around the track untill the thing fell apart after a few weeks....if nothing on your raptor ever snaps in half or bends then you must be only riding the streets or not going over 5 MPH b/c that thing is junk

sparks400ex101
12-03-2003, 05:15 PM
thats your opinion, maybe you just cant ride :blah: is the power too much for you
? lol

12-03-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
I am actually very fast on my friends raptor & can beat him on my 400ex when we used to race around the track untill the thing fell apart after a few weeks.... can you not read sparks? u must be really dumb or something :rolleyes: go drag race ur rapturd b/c u surely dont want to take it through the trails where it will fall apart :eek2: i never said the raptor wasnt fast (when it really isnt that fast b/c a 400cc can almost keep up with this 660cc):huh ...its just a piece of junk;)

LTandRaptorider
12-03-2003, 06:29 PM
i dont own alot of quads but they are strill good IMO...I like almost every single sport except the raptor.....i cant compensate so I can't ride? lol....:rolleyes: I am actually very fast on my friends raptor & can beat him on my 400ex when we used to race around the track untill the thing fell apart after a few weeks....if nothing on your raptor ever snaps in half or bends then you must be only riding the streets or not going over 5 MPH b/c that thing is junk

Damn jumbo, somewhere along the way a Raptor must have done you wrong...

I assure you mine has seen a fair amount of trail riding, and well above 5mph. And yes, it's fast. Ok, I'll let you continue your rant.:rolleyes:

12-03-2003, 08:59 PM
i'll stop my ranting for now...& yes it has done me wrong, it killed my dad! :eek: :eek: :eek:

LTandRaptorider
12-04-2003, 03:09 PM
i'll stop my ranting for now...& yes it has done me wrong, it killed my dad! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Bock Bock WHAT????!!!! :eek2: :eek2:

12-04-2003, 08:39 PM
nah it didnt kill my dad but it broke my best friends back when it flipped backwards on him going up a small hill

LTandRaptorider
12-05-2003, 10:12 PM
nah it didnt kill my dad but it broke my best friends back when it flipped backwards on him going up a small hill

Sounds to me like that was operator error...

12-05-2003, 11:35 PM
yah it sort of was...i still blame the raptor...me & this kid had been riding 4 wheelers for awhile & he just got it.

LTandRaptorider
12-06-2003, 09:11 AM
yah it sort of was...i still blame the raptor...me & this kid had been riding 4 wheelers for awhile & he just got it.

Well, I hate to hear about anybody getting hurt, hate it worse watching it happen. I've had more than my share of quads come over backwards on me, that's why I'm not thrilled about hill-climbs anymore. But if he rolled it over, can't really blame that on the Raptor, nor the damage it sustained as shown in your photo. I stood mine up a couple of times when I first started riding it. The last 4-stroke I had was a Suzuki 230!:eek2: When you hill-climbed on that, if you were running out of power, you cracked the throttle wide open and prayed you had enough to get to the top! Not a good practice with the Raptor! First time I did that, I was pointed skyward. You have to use an easy touch on the gas, and it never runs out of power. I know the Raptors have their problems, but only once was I left stranded, when it wouldn't start. That was why rider11x had to tow me to bump start it. I think if I didn't have a couple years in on my LT, I would've liked the Raptor better. But the LT is what I like, I hardly ever ride the Raptor anymore, so it's going. I've never failed to be thrilled taking it for a ride!

Hey, don't forget to post pics when you get a YFZ!! :D And know that if you did, I'd be insanely jealous... ;)

sparks400ex101
12-06-2003, 11:55 AM
for one thing you need to chill out a little i was only joking and you had to go show your inmaturity and staryted calling names..:rolleyes: a 400ex isnt bad i own one but when it comes to the power the ex doesnt even compare

12-06-2003, 02:13 PM
i dont think ill be getting a YFZ or the new TRX since I dont race...i just ride trails & street. Im thinking about a used kfx700 pretty soon in the spring.

LTandRaptorider
12-10-2003, 09:15 PM
i dont think ill be getting a YFZ or the new TRX since I dont race...i just ride trails & street. Im thinking about a used kfx700 pretty soon in the spring.

I've never ridden a KFX700, but I don't think you'd be unhappy with it! I still prefer something with a manual clutch, but that may change in a few years... like twenty! :devil:

I'll never grow up! I'll probably be dead by 50... but I've had fun! ;)

Just curious, why would you get rid of the 400ex?

biohazard1.2
12-11-2003, 05:50 AM

I ride a YFZ...all I do is trails, bowls and limited XC. I bought it becuz, when set up properly (up one tooth on the rear), jetted, skids, it is the BEST trail quad I have ever owned. I sold my Z400 to buy the YFZ.

If I was to buy a third quad, it would be the 04/05 Raptor.

They are awesome quads...there is not a stock honda, kawa or suzuki quad that can compete against them in the sand or drags.

The raptors had one bad run (trannys) and now every child with internet access thinks they know somebody whose third cousins uncles sisters sons' stepfathers brother-in-law had a light fall off the quad. Ever heard of maintenance?....a lil loctite?

I will take a tube of loctite ($4.00) and the raptor over any sport quad that suzuki (frame) or honda(good...but slow) has to offer right now. TRX450R...looking forward to racing them.

You ride on the street? Legally?

and we wonder why ATVers get blasted by the press and public in general.

:eek2:

Three Favorite quads that I ever owned:
1. YFZ450
2. 1989 250R (stock...pipe/jets)
3. 1988 250R (full stock race prepped)

z400ACDC
12-11-2003, 11:55 AM
I sold my 01 Raptor for the Z400. I never liked the feel of the Raptor. It would twowheel easy. I never had any trouble with mine. The guy that bought it from me has put a few starter clutches in it. I have ridden the YFZ and love the power. It is a great quad, but I like the Z better for the tight trails.

300exryder
12-15-2003, 04:23 PM
I own a 2002 Raptor and have no regrets. I flipped it a couple times and it only crapped out on me once; had to tow it to a local pit. Guess what the problem was.... the parking brake rev limiter had snapped and was on, so it wouldnt do anything but idle. A lil hammer action and it was rideable until I got home and got rid of the rev limiter. I have a set of wheel spacers on (5" rear and 3" front) and have a full White Bros exhaust. I'll challenge any 400ex in my type of riding - trails and hillclimbing.

A friend has a YFZ450 - yes they are loaded with power and great handling and suspension, but it is the size of a blaster. It is easily lifted with one hand. I loved the power, but am way too cramped on the thing. I love the feel of the Rap.........it's all about the rider. I know several people that switched to a Raptor from 400ex's - and not one of them regrets it (no one has a 2001 either ;) )

12-15-2003, 07:43 PM
of course none of them regret it b/c there too scared to balll up& admit there loss

LTandRaptorider
12-16-2003, 08:39 PM
of course none of them regret it b/c there too scared to balll up& admit there loss

Ahhh... Jumbo, you're turning me in to a real post whore!

You're not going to post the pic of the wrecked Raptor again, are you? :rolleyes:

At least I know tomorrow you'll be busy since it's the 100 year anniversary of the Wright Bros. first flight! ;)

12-17-2003, 02:09 PM
unfortunately i reformatted & didnt back those pictures up :mad: ill find them on a recent post though.. dont you worry ;) :D

spincr4hire
12-19-2003, 06:52 AM
Marilyn Monroe seems to like it..:o

LTandRaptorider
12-19-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by spincr4hire
Marilyn Monroe seems to like it..:o

Ahhh... to be that Raptor seat... :blah:

TCracin440ex
12-28-2003, 10:56 AM
why do people say it takes time to tame a raptor....shyt my friend has a raptor....and ive been ridding for 16 years....and i ride that damn thing like i stole it....be man....NOT A P*SSY....get on it and give it hell...if you aint breaking something....your not really ridding....and if you break it....buy a new 1....or replace it with aftermarket....jus my 2 cent