PDA

View Full Version : Spontanious Combustion:confused:

Natertot426ex
11-06-2003, 07:24 AM
My neighbors house burned down a couple weeks ago and they didn't know how it happened. I talked to them last night and they were telling me that is was spontanious combustion. I was like "WHAT"? I guess they had a flower pot on the front porch and the chemicals in the potting soil and the root ball of the plant intermixed and cause it to pretty much blow up. I have never heard of anything like that happening before. Pretty weird eh?

It is really amazing how a comunity can help out people. My one neighbor to the east of me works for a landscape company and once the house and everything is done his company is going to do all there landscaping for free. They have all types of people helping them out including our church. I am excited for them that they are going to be able to get through this ok. Plus the fire department gave them $500 before they left the house the day it burnt down. Pretty cool...

Texan32
11-06-2003, 08:08 AM
i think they are using the wrong wording. "sponanious combustion" has to do with internal kenetic (or potential...i forget) energy in humans being so great, that they spontaniously (without rhyme/reason or notice) explodes.

What happened to them sounds more like a freak chemical reaction that caused the plant to heat up and catch fire. Its kinda like how bails of hay can internally catch fire. If the grass is cut too green and bailed wet, if the right conditions exhist, they can build up so much heat internally, that they start themselves on fire.

hondamxer161
11-06-2003, 08:17 AM
spontantious combustion is just that, a split second fire. its most often used in terms of humans, which is spontantious HUMAN combustion.
i had a neighboring apartment go up in flames due to spontanious combustion caused by pieces of glass focusing the sun and setting super dry woodchips on fire

mike

JTRtrx250r
11-06-2003, 10:15 AM
Ive heard of that,next door to my uncles was a topsoil place w/ huge piles and 1 day 1 of the piles just exploded,turned out it was from the ammonia and nitrogen build-up from the fertilizers,pretty weird stuff...now they have to basically "stir and mix" the piles around every few months to prevent it,I guess it makes a pretty loud boom too:confused:

wilkin250r
11-06-2003, 01:58 PM
The heat buildup can be caused by a chemical reaction, or bacteria. Like the wet grass example, the bacteria thrive in a moist environment, and they generate heat. Now you have a moist warm environment, which is even better for bacteria. The cycle feeds off itself until it creates enough heat to catch fire.

HoNdAdude48
11-06-2003, 02:40 PM
.....well technically, the proportional outcome of the dividend, of the spontanious combustunite, feeds off of the internal oragans. therefore, the flamacious wounds circumscribe the protractorus's nemonia particles......

IN OTHER WORDS..... i have no clue what im talkin about! & what u guys r sayin is about 30 feet over my head! lmao jp!

zephead400ex
11-06-2003, 02:45 PM
What kind of plants were they trying to grow...? jp!

You mentioned that its pretty cool how communities come together in times like these, here is a little story.

About a month ago, at my gf's Homecoming pep rally they were having a competition...anyway a girl was carrying a dude on her back running to one end of the b-ball court then back, well, she tripped and fell face first to the floor bust out one of her teeth and breaking another in half. Their family is pretty poor and do not have insurance. A local dentist heard of this happening and offered to do all the dental work for free. I thought that was pretty cool...

later

F-16Guy
11-06-2003, 09:40 PM
Pretty common with fertilizers, chemicals, and solvents. At work, we have to keep our solvent soaked rags in a metal fireproof container because the reactions between the different chemicals and solvents could potentially result in, you guessed it, spontaneous combustion. :eek:

Nausty
11-06-2003, 09:52 PM
I landscape, with my fourwheeler.

parents don't like it to much either.:p

I notice when I poured gas in my yard when I was younger and I threw a match on it it spontainiously combusted too.... Even spelled out my name.:eek:

QuadJunkies
11-07-2003, 01:34 AM
Wow Nate. thats some freaky stuff......:huh I remember you telling us about that,its good to know ther are still decent people in this world willing to help out one another, even to people they may not even know....;) its good to do something nice for a person in need,.We never know when one of US may need a helping hand.....:)