PDA

View Full Version : Cross Country

96300ex
02-09-2002, 07:01 PM
What would I have to do to get involved in cross country style racing? Where do they hold those kinds of racing? How do i have to set up my quad? Thanks

Adams44
02-09-2002, 09:30 PM
for national events, www.gnccracing.com (June 29 is in Deep creek MAryland). I am not sure what district you are in for local events. GNCC is one you have to experience, at least go watch. Assuming you have a 96300ex, You can run in first year racer class, 4 stk. C, 4stk. stock - possibly, open B or compete in an age class (junior, vet, etc..) Check out the web site for all that info.

Try going to your local shop and asking what district you are in and for a district schedule and contact information. That should get you started. Once you go to the races talk to the racers and ask them for racing info and they can hook you up.

Good luck.

Adams44
02-09-2002, 09:39 PM
P.S. you need a kill switch, safety gear and AMA membership (can get at the track) or call 1800-AMA-JOIN. You don't need anything else to compete, just make sure your quad is in EXCELLENT maintenance! An 1 1/2 to 2 hour race will show any problems with your 4-wheeler. It really sucks to be broken down 4 miles from the pits. Tires, nerf bars really help especially when you start out. Spacing your nerf bars almost even with the outside of the rear tires will help save you from smacking a tree at a wrong angle if you make a mistake and run 1/8 toe in on the front.
Have fun and start working out or better yet, riding hard for extended time.

SGA
02-09-2002, 11:01 PM
Adams44, would'nt it be be better to join the ATVA? Their a spin off of the AMA, dedicated to atv's and you can use their card for all AMA events

Adams44
02-10-2002, 08:44 AM
I don't know much about ATVA. Tell us about the benifits.
Thanks

tprender
02-10-2002, 09:02 AM
The ATVA is a subdivision of the AMA. The ATVA was set up bu the ama last year because of the large numbers of atv riders. If you are and ama member, when your old card expires have it changed over to the ATVA card. You might have to write on the form ATVA when filling it out. The ATVA budget will only come from the ATVA membership. not from the ama like it did before. Thye directer, Doug Morris, is an ATV person and all that he does in the AMA headquarters is work on atv issues. Doug is also, working on some on racing thyp events for the coming year. The big thing is that you will get the atv newsletter instead of the regular AMA mag that you don't read. Go to the ATVA website for more info

WWW.ATVAonline.com

02-12-2002, 05:49 PM
For upcoming schedules, go to www.amadirectlink.com and on the right hand side, you will see a section called "2002 SCHEDULE". Go to the bottom to "Search RACES.RIDES,& RALLIES". Click on that.....

Good luck!!