PDA

View Full Version : CLUTCH BROKEN, LIFTER PIN TROUBLES

02-09-2002, 05:33 PM
I was riding my 00 400ex and while downshifting the clutch lever became really lose. The lever doesn't snap back anymore...it just kind of falls back into place. I know it's not the clutch cable because #1, it's brand new...and #2 I disconnected it from the lever down by the case and the lever that operates the cluth moves pretty much freely. It returns back to position, but moves effortlessly. So what the **** happened, I appreciate your info.

00 400ex
white brothers pipe and silencer, renthal bars, belly and skid plate, K&N filtercharger, holeshots, douglas wheels, factory fx graphics and seat cover

02-09-2002, 05:36 PM
while the machine was shut off I put it in neutral and started it up and pulled the loose clutch in and kicked it down into first. When I did that the quad jumped and stalled, therefore the cluth is still enguaged. It is the stock clutch and why would this happen, thanks

JGofNJ
02-11-2002, 09:45 PM
I have been reading these forums for a while but never really felt like my input was needed because I figured someone would just chime in and help out. I see that this is not the case in this event so I give you my input.

OK a similar problem struck me on the trail as well and the symptoms are the same. First check where the clutch cable attaches to the arm that goes into the side of the case and see if you can move that arm around with little or no resistance. If you can then here is the deal.

The lifter pin that pulls the pressure plate away from the clutch pack has snapped and needs to be replaced. I know that sucks but the good thing is that the parts are pretty cheap. I think it is a 12 dollar part and then you need the gasket for that cover.

The basic jist of the procedure is to drain all of your oil first.
Remove the right side cover from the motor and remember where the bolts are comming from... I usually draw the motor on a piece of cardboard and push the bolts through it in relation to where they belong on the motor.

Pull the cover off. It may take a little force while you rotate the lever that passes into the case but a hint is that there are tabs on the coveer that are not flush with the case. Take a long screwdriver or punch and tap them from the left hand side of the motor until you get the cover off.

Remove the six bolts that hold the pressure plate to the clutch pack in a criss cross patern and that pin is dead in the center. It should have a little mushroom cap on the end facing you but chances are that it sheared off and the fork that normally pulls on that tab is still holding on to it.

Button it back up in reverse with the new part and don't forget to order the gasket for that cover. Fill it up with oil and you should be back on the road.

Good luck,

barbwire44
02-12-2002, 01:59 PM
JGofNJ....is right on the money, it is definately the clutch lifter pin. I replaced mine a few months back. Same symptoms you're describing.

JGofNJ
02-12-2002, 08:25 PM
I figured that I was just the poor SOB that was unlucky when this thing fragged itself 5 miles from the truck.

Has anyone else had to replace anypart of this lifter pin assembly?

02-20-2002, 06:11 PM
I took the machine apart and it was indeed the lifter pin. She's all back together and it's nice having a clutch. Still a pain to fix though.