PDA

View Full Version : Piston?

hawiianpwr
11-05-2003, 04:03 PM
I have a question for you guys. I'm gonna be going to be putting in a 416 kit this winter and was wondering about the piston. What will be the difference between the Wiseco piston and the JE? Are JE's worth paying the extra money?

Glamis400ex
11-05-2003, 06:21 PM
one word.....YES.

Glamis

sweet300ex
11-05-2003, 07:07 PM
i know for one thing JE has more accurate compression ratings then wiseco

bmw500hp
11-05-2003, 07:29 PM
YES..buy the JE or Buy a Ross!

Out_Sider
11-05-2003, 07:40 PM
FU*K WISECO!!! worthless junk!! Definatly get the JE...i learned my lesson about wiseco, and i bought a je for my 330;) TRUST US!!! JE and Ross are MUCH MUCH better than wiseco

Diedrich
11-05-2003, 09:20 PM
yeah i like JE the best

Crawl69
11-05-2003, 09:25 PM
wiseco=seizeco

stupid driver
11-06-2003, 05:58 AM
the JE and Ross pistons are definately worth the extra money shelled out. I think my 425 has a JE in it, and i couldnt be happier. The quality of their product is amazing. You will be reluctant to put that piston into your motor, nice and shiny. :p

Glamis400ex
11-06-2003, 06:06 AM
Out-Sider,

Dude, don't beat around the bush, tell us how you really feel....lol

Glamis

Dunlap
11-06-2003, 07:07 AM
I am sorry but I see this all the time and you guys do not know what you are talking about. Wiseco and JE are owed by the same people first of all. I use both brands in my motors and there is nothing wrong with either of them. If you had a problem with one it was no fault of the brand. If you want I can have someone from each company get on here and settle this real quick. If you want you can tell me what you had go wrong with the brand and we should be able to find out what the cause was in the first place, but it was not the brands fault.

Glamis400ex
11-06-2003, 04:38 PM
Mickey,

With all due respect, I believe the reason most folks here who don't like Wiseco, is because there was an issue with the compression numbers not being as advertised...I'm sure you know about that.

I've never heard about an issue with the quality per se' just about false or misleading compression numbers.

Things cost so much for these darn 4 wheelers, and I just think a few of us are a little gun shy, we want to know we're not getting taken..

Glamis

cals400ex
11-06-2003, 05:33 PM
i want to know why the wiseco's are cheaper than the je or ross pistons. i think the wiseco is $110 and the je and ross are $120

Dunlap
11-06-2003, 06:44 PM
The reason for the price difference is that Wiseco does a larger number of pistons at a time and JE is set up to do smaller runs. I can order a minimum of 4 pistons with JE and 50 pistons with Wiseco. With both piston manufacturers you don't get the right compression ratios because the deck heights meaning the distance between the top of the wrist pin to the top of the timing edge is not correct. This also makes it so you don't get the real power you should get because you don't have a good quench area. You need .040 deck clearance with your head bolted down with all the gaskets to get the proper quench area. This keeps the flame travel shorter and the outside of the piston cooler and you can run less octane that way.

MEL
11-06-2003, 06:51 PM
mickey,
is there any way we can make sure that we're getting .040 other than modeling clay? and what do we do when we find that we have too much or too little clearance? thanks.

Dunlap
11-06-2003, 08:28 PM
The best way is to clay it. With all the pistons that have stock deck heights an EZ way to get it close is to use Honda HT sealer and no base gasket and a .027 head gasket. You can do this and be safe, but if you clay it in you will see that you can get it right on by only running one part of the three piece head gasket. I would only do this if you have a new or very good motor. For the most part this is how tight you would set up a race motor that is well taken care of and not something for the every day rider.

Bad Habit
11-06-2003, 08:37 PM
This may sound like a novice question but, are the published compression ratios based on the .040 deck height as a given? Or do the various piston manufactures publish the deck height with the compression ratio?

F-16Guy
11-06-2003, 08:59 PM
I've run Wiseco for many years in both two and four stroke bikes/quads with only one problem (which Wiseco took care of). The amount of knowlege, mechanical ability, preparation, and care taken during assembly have much more to do with the outcome of a rebuild than differing brand names on the same product. The compression ratio on my 416 was very close, I know this because I took the time to do the measurements before and during assembly. If you want to buy a piston kit and just slap it in without checking clearances and doing a little homework, then you can't be surprised when things go wrong.

TheX1992
11-07-2003, 10:18 AM
all i run is weisco pistons. when i restored my dads old 72 ts125 dirt bike, i slapped a weisco in there. nothing wrong with them.

MEL
11-07-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Mickey Dunlap
The best way is to clay it. With all the pistons that have stock deck heights an EZ way to get it close is to use Honda HT sealer and no base gasket and a .027 head gasket. You can do this and be safe, but if you clay it in you will see that you can get it right on by only running one part of the three piece head gasket. I would only do this if you have a new or very good motor. For the most part this is how tight you would set up a race motor that is well taken care of and not something for the every day rider.
thanks for the info. on a motor with these tight numbers, how oftend do you recomend a new piston and rings, or at least opening up the motor and checking things out.

Dunlap
11-08-2003, 05:54 AM
It all depends on how hard you ride,how much you change your oil,what kind of oil and if you run a exstra oil cooler or not. On the 440 we ran in the GNCC and local races we had over 60 hours of race time on it when we did a valve job and rings at the break.

MEL
11-08-2003, 06:30 AM
thanks again for the info.