PDA

View Full Version : Odyssey FL250

hondafox440
11-05-2003, 03:47 PM
Anyone else have one? They are the biggest pain in the *** to work on. We've had our 83' for about 2 years, and it doesn't run. I finally get the motivation (and garage space) to get it running and restore it.

So I whip put the Clymer manual and flip to trouble shooting. Ok, "Engine Starting", says to check for spark. Ok, it has spark. Next, "check for a fouled plug". Plug is fine. "Check fuel pump". Fuel pump eh? I flip to the page in the manual that shows you how to remove/check it. Turns out you need to remove the entire roll cage, engine cage, rear fenders, seat pan and back, muffler, airbox, CDI, and wiring harness in order to remove the fuel tank and then the fuel pump. What a pain in the ***! I spent at least 5 hours on it and just got the tank out. Doesn't help that the machine is 20 years old and has never been disassmbled (or cleaned thouroughly for that matter).

Anyways, I'll be tearing the fuel pump and carb down tomorow to give them a good cleaning and make sure they work correctly. I'll also be repainting the frame and such as I reassemble, and giving it a good cleaning and restoration.

I'll try and get pictures of it as I go. Hopefully I will be done in a week or so because my mom is already *****ing that she wants to put her car in the garage [:rolleyes:] since my dad and I took over the other bay with quads and bikes :D

11-05-2003, 06:57 PM
are those pretty snappy in the beginning?

hondafox440
11-05-2003, 07:07 PM
Do you mean like bottom end power? Mine was never running right (when it ran), but I hear when they are running correctly they lift the front wheels a few inches on pavement.

Red00Honda400EX
11-05-2003, 09:53 PM
I had an 85 (350, reverse, electric start) and the thing was a PAIN!!! It always broke everytime I took it out and from the ones we looked at while I was searching for one, over 2 years, mine was a very nice one. It was decently quick but nothing special. It would never pull the front tires off the ground even if I nailed it on pavement. The rears would spin a little and it would be gone. It would get beat by a 300ex in a drag race I'd imagine and a stock 400ex would blow it away.

JTRtrx250r
11-06-2003, 12:14 AM
The 1st trick w/ odys is to understand their set-up,there isnt much to them..the #1 biggest problem is fuel delivery,,the check valve is usually the problem w/ the fuel system,next will be the fuel pump,Ive had many and raced them for along time,feel free to pm me if you start gettin' peeved w/ it,Im sure I can help,good luck

Red...a stock 400ex wont blow mine away down the pavement,(thanks to a lil help from FTZ haha)

4wheelboy
11-06-2003, 09:16 AM
my friends got one its got some ballz.:eek2: i went to a race that had oddesys and pilots in them an them things can fly:eek2: :eek2: :cool:

Red00Honda400EX
11-06-2003, 10:06 AM
pilots >*10 Odysseys