PDA

View Full Version : Difference between 400EX and Z400

Math
11-05-2003, 03:45 PM
I know the liquid coolant, the cams, the reverse, etc.
1- I want to know stock vs stock, what is the difference in power?
2- When you put a pipe, filter and jet kit in each one, will the difference be noticiable? By how many bike lenth?:confused:
Please just be honest:rolleyes: Thanks

Diedrich
11-05-2003, 09:35 PM
400ex is alot better than a z
trust me

Greg Z
11-05-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Diedrich
400ex is alot better than a z
trust me :blah: AGREE

BROKEN FRAMES / AXLES / its a suzuki

dont get it .. I like Z400's dont get me wrong

BUT NOT STOCK!

remlapr
11-05-2003, 10:31 PM
I've rode my piped jetted filtered EX (obviously) and Spincr4hire's piped jetted filtered Z. The Z is definately quicker. The power is smoother then my EX also. But I didn't like the ergonomics as much. The seat sits you more forward(not as bad as a Predator) and definately feels taller from the pegs, not as bad as a Raptor, but not like an EX. I just feel much comfortable on my EX. The reverse is also a very nice added feature on the Z. The seat on the Z is also more comfortable. But yeah - the frame is a BIG concern.

witti
11-05-2003, 10:50 PM
I have a Z and my buddy has a 400ex. We mainly ride sand dunes and have had no problems with either one. My Z is piped (CT) and has an air filter(K&N) with no lid(runs very good). The 400ex had a pipe(fmf) K&N with no lid. My Z would beat him easily.

We put a stage 2 hotcam in his 400 and it was quite a bit closer. It lost the low end grunt, but gained a lot of top end.

Then we put a 39mm fcr on it and he can beat me by about 1/2 a quad length when we get through 4th gear.

We have traded quads and got the same results.

Both are good all around quads. Look for the best deal and what feels good to you and go with it.

stupid driver
11-06-2003, 05:48 AM
Z's respond very well to mods. A good piped and jetted Z will fly. Then again, you cant fly very far when you have a bent axle, or broken frame. Even dirt wheels said the frame didnt stand up. Their money from Suzuki must be gettin used up or somethin.

i like them both. the EX has reliability and handling the z has the modding capabilities and liquid cooling. take your pick

2003EXRIDER
11-06-2003, 01:56 PM
my brother bought a z-400 the same day i bought my ex. i love them both no problems yet. stock his was a little quicker than mine. but now he's my little BEATCH:p :D :cool:

kgbg
11-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Tha Bad of Each:
The EX has less power, fades when hot, and does not rev as high, and for some reason, to me , feels a little heavier when you ride it.
The Z feels taller, narrower, and heavier when you lift it. There are axle and frame problems.

The good of each:
The EX has Honda on the side of it. It has a better frame. Parts are more available and cheaper. They are cheaper, by a lot!
The Z transmission is a little smoother, not a big difference, but if you think Hondas shift nice, you should feel a Z. The I have heard of the frame and axle problems, but I have not seen any of them. I have one of the very first ones, and (gasp) I even have spacers on the back!It has more power, responds better to a pipe filter combo, and has liquid cooling. It has reverse.
In summary, owning both, I would buy a Z400 again before I bought 400ex.

skemp
11-06-2003, 02:57 PM
Powerwise, I like the Z's. The low end lacks a lot, but it can be fixed. I really, really don't like the handling or ergonomics of a stock Z. I get off my EX and feel like I am riding a bike when I hop on my friend's Z. They are tall and skinny; but then again my EX is 4 inches wider and 4 inches lower than stock...

jja125
11-06-2003, 03:26 PM
i rode my buddy's stock z on sunday for the first time and it felt slow as hell to me and all my ex really has is a pipe and K&N, and it handled like crap - i only rode it for like 5 min, but i don't think i'd ever buy one over an ex - the only good thing its got going for it is the reverse as far as i'm concerned. just my opinon.