PDA

View Full Version : Rejetting Question - Should be easy.

perry
11-05-2003, 01:46 PM
Hi,
Just broke in my machine and am going to have the valve clearance checked and have my quad rejetted for my new eSeries pipe. I plan on getting a K&N Filter & 8 discs in the pipe.

I have a couple of questions before I take it in to the mechanic (I will wait a while before I try it myself).

What is 'outerwear'? Is it just another name for the filter? Do I need it? I plan to run with my lid on (I play in the mud).

What type of jets should I get my mechanic to use? Why?

Any other advice before I take it in to him?

Thanks,
Mike

perry
11-05-2003, 01:47 PM
BTW, he says labor would be about 125 USD, any comments?

remlapr
11-05-2003, 02:14 PM
run 12 disk - you will get more top end and won't really loose anything on the bottom. This is a proven setup by many riders on here. Outerwears is also called a pre-filter or pre-charger (by K&N I think). I goes over the K&N filter like a jacket. It helps catch dust and dirt and especially water which will be soaked up by the K&N if it gets in your air box and you aren't running a Outerwear. If you are going to be running in mud and water at all I would still recommend using one even with a airbox lid.

Also - $125 is insane for rejetting a carb. Where are you? Maybe there is a member on here that wouldn't mind helping you?

perry
11-05-2003, 02:23 PM
He said 75 for checking valve clearance, and 40 for rejetting. Cincinnati, OH

perry
11-05-2003, 02:24 PM
Also, system comes with 12 discs, right?

remlapr
11-05-2003, 03:00 PM
Do you have at leat 20 hours of run time on it? I think that is when they recommend checking the valves. I'm pretty sure e-series ship with 12 disk. I bought mine used and it actually had 18 in it. just count them. $40 to jet the carb doesn't sound too bad I guess...

cals400ex
11-05-2003, 03:17 PM
i would do both yourself. in the faq there is a step by step procedure for changing the main and pilot jets. also in the tech tips there is a procedure for adjusting your valves.

perry
11-05-2003, 06:24 PM
Yeah, I got 20 hours on it. There were 12 discs. He is going to put them on it and rejet. I would do it myself, but as soon as I saw the word timing in the instructions, I shyed away from it. My dealer said that doing anything to the timing was unnecessary since it it all solid state, but no matter, my quad it in the shop. I miss it already .... :(