PDA

View Full Version : Head Gaskets

Mitch400EX
11-05-2003, 11:00 AM
I've heard that with Cometic head gaskets, the head bolts sometimes come loose. I just recently installed a cometic head gasket with my rebuild. Mine is leaking a very small amount of oil after the engine has been run for about 30 minutes. I'm going to take it apart and check the torque of the head bolts. If the bolts are still tight I'm going to take the head off the gasket to clean up the mating surfaces and add gasket sealer. Do I need a new gasket If I do this, or can I reuse the old one?

markeg192
11-05-2003, 11:12 AM
You need to use a new one. What tends to happen is the threads pull on the head bolts. Good Luck

400exBro
11-05-2003, 03:08 PM
you can use your old gaskets as long as you don't rip or tear them on disassembly. You will require new, better head studs, contact C&D and they will hook you up.

jb500ex
11-05-2003, 03:26 PM
forget the cometic gaskets call mickey at fst ask for one of his gaskets. they are great. i had nothing but problems with the cometics in my 440.

tprender
11-05-2003, 05:49 PM
From what I have been told by a few engine builders is that the stock studs are stregthing and this is causing the gaskets to blow. It is not the gaskets fault, but the studs. This is also why the nuts need to be retorqued. The studs are getting just a little bit longer. This is the one weak point of the 400.

bandit390
11-05-2003, 09:55 PM
The studs are pulling out of the head. A different gasket will not help. I took my studs out and put them back in with some thread lock. I also used the cometic SS gasket. If you can check to see how far you can turn the studs back in or get someone to check and retighten them. I bet they are coming out.

I was able to ride mine for five hours. Then the base gasket started leaking. When I took it apart. I checked the head studs and they were perfect.

stupid driver
11-06-2003, 05:55 AM
oversized head studs will fix it. There are a few really nice kits out there. i ordered mine from rocky ridge racing. As for what gasket, have C&D hook you up w/ one of their flex steel head gaskets. No retourquing required.

Glamis400ex
11-06-2003, 06:11 AM
definately get the oversize studs from FDO Racing and get the flexsteel gasket from C&D. Studs are $100 installed.

Glamis