PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm bolt siezed please help!!

400exrider_ed
11-04-2003, 07:12 PM
Hi, I'm new I have a 400ex and ride in ny, but right now I have a BIG PROBLEM. My motor bent the connecting rod so I am in the proccess of taking it out of the frame for a rebuild but the swing arm bolt is siezed. The quads a 2000 and I'm assuming the bolts never been out before, I can see it spin the needle bearing spacers but its siezed into them, anyone have a solution or advice, I tried tapping with a hammer no go. Thanks to anyone who replies.

11-04-2003, 07:19 PM
okay...have fun with this one..i havent taken mine off yet & im scared to trey cause of this, i have heard its one of the biggest pains in the a55. do a search for swingarm pivot bolt...there a a few techniques on getting it out but I cant remember any of them :grr:

Kawboyz beware
11-04-2003, 07:28 PM
air hammer and lots lube

bone705
11-04-2003, 07:34 PM
my friend had this problem wtih his lt. what he ended up doing was turning the bike completely on its side and hosed it down with wd40. he let it sit for a night and when he came back it already move about an inch. then he just beat it out the rest of the way.

11-04-2003, 07:39 PM
that might work? :huh...iv'e actually heard of people having to laser it out or something :huh

11-04-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Kawboyz beware
air hammer and lots lube air hammers dont work...i tried...now my ex is currently getting worked on at a shop to replace it:(

cals400ex
11-04-2003, 08:36 PM
i believe there is something in the faq about this.

hondamxer161
11-04-2003, 08:50 PM
yeah check the faq. the one in my R came out in 3 pieces, using an angle grinder, air hammer, big jake (sledge), and a whole lot of cussing.

mike

CarzyRrider
11-04-2003, 10:19 PM
i had this problem with my old R i had to beat it out with a 5lb sledge hammer.. it sucked bad i tried everything lube , heat , vibration and it took 2 days to beat it out m-fker had made indentations in it from a blown needle bearing or whatever the little bearings are and it locked itself in

GOOD LUCK:macho

pnut420
11-04-2003, 10:21 PM
Yeah do a search me and Rico have explained this a few times, I will try to find the link, Im a little tired:D

pnut420
11-04-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider_ed
Hi, I'm new I have a 400ex and ride in ny, but right now I have a BIG PROBLEM. My motor bent the connecting rod so I am in the proccess of taking it out of the frame for a rebuild but the swing arm bolt is siezed. The quads a 2000 and I'm assuming the bolts never been out before, I can see it spin the needle bearing spacers but its siezed into them, anyone have a solution or advice, I tried tapping with a hammer no go. Thanks to anyone who replies.

Lay off the hammer for now, it just tweaks the frame, try spinning it with a drill, like an easy out or something, put Gunk AntiSeize on there for now.

pnut420
11-04-2003, 10:26 PM
Here yah go, its a long thread but has pics and everything.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62647&highlight=frozen+pivot+bolt

400exrider_ed
11-05-2003, 03:19 PM
Well thanks for all the help I checked the other threads in the suspension section, and tried everything short of cutting it out. I decided to just sell the quad as is, or all the aftermarket parts its got on ebay or something, let me know if anyone has any interests thanks again.

400excrazyman
11-05-2003, 05:59 PM
hey man i know what you mean i had to get my friend out off his and it was siezed to we could not get it out so we call a friend that works on them and asked him and he said to take and lay the bike on its side with the nut off the bolt facing up and keep spraying lube on it the bolt were the nut screws on. we srayed like the hole can off lube on it at night and let it set all night the in the morning we sprayed some more on it and then put the nit on it a little bite and hit the nut with the hammer and we got it out then
later
nathaniel

pnut420
11-06-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider_ed
Well thanks for all the help I checked the other threads in the suspension section, and tried everything short of cutting it out. I decided to just sell the quad as is, or all the aftermarket parts its got on ebay or something, let me know if anyone has any interests thanks again.

Let us know what you have and we might be interested, put it in the for sale section.

redrunner
11-06-2003, 01:28 PM
Hey, would this be something that would be on a, say like a preventative maint. thing to do every year? I have never doene it but it would seem that if you could attack this early and lube it up once and awhile we would all be better off.
Just a thought, is it easy to do when it is new?
That didn't just rhyme did it?

11-06-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by redrunner
Hey, would this be something that would be on a, say like a preventative maint. thing to do every year? I have never doene it but it would seem that if you could attack this early and lube it up once and awhile we would all be better off.
Just a thought, is it easy to do when it is new?
That didn't just rhyme did it?

Doing this 1 or 2 times a year is a must. I drilled small holes in my pivot bolt were the bushings rest, then tapped the end with a grease zerk, and corked the other end up with JB weld. I grease mine every 2 months and now i NEVER have to worry about it seizing up again...:cool:

Juggalo
11-06-2003, 06:39 PM
can't get mine either! i've tried all sorts of hammers even an 8 lb sledge. no luck. i tried cuttin it out with a sawzall, no luck there either. i'm startin to run low on ideas.

redrunner
11-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Sounds like a plan Stan
s**t did it again!

pnut420
11-06-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo
can't get mine either! i've tried all sorts of hammers even an 8 lb sledge. no luck. i tried cuttin it out with a sawzall, no luck there either. i'm startin to run low on ideas.

Hammers dont do anything but damage, but damn you cut it with a sawzall and still having problems, try using a small screw driver and pound out the bearings thats what I had to do, spin it with a drill while smacking on the bearings.