PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me!!!!!!

02-09-2002, 01:23 PM
Today I took the K&N out of my 400EX and cleaned and re-oiled it. I probably haven't ridden my quad in 3 weeks and the last time I rode it it was running fine. Today after I reinstalled the filter I went for a ride. When the bike is sitting level it runs fine but anytime I am riding a wheelie or heading up a steep hill the motor starts bogging down and cutting out on me. I am at a loss here. Nothing that I did today should have affected the jetting or the carb, correct? Well before I tear into the carb I just wanted to see if you guys had any ideas. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

mikeboone
02-09-2002, 04:16 PM
I think the filter is still wet from water or over- oiling. I have cleaned my K&N at night and is was still wet the next day. Take the filter off and let it dry good--don't put on a good surface; if is is over -oiled some may run down and stain it!!

SGA
02-09-2002, 05:04 PM
If it's not the air filter, you may have some water in the carb from condensation in the tank. this happens sometimes when they sit awhile. Turn off the gas & drain the carb into a container. Its the small screw at the bottom on the carb on the choke side. The gas will come out of the hose on the bottom. if you find water or trash, make sure you unscrew the main jet cover on the bottom of the carb & clean the little cup out.

02-10-2002, 07:57 AM
I wondered about the filter still being wet. The only thing that boggles me is why it only does it when on a steep incline.

400exJOE
02-10-2002, 10:10 AM
Just a guess, but when the engine is trying to pull a quad up a hill, it usually is under more load, therefore, making it suck more air in; and possibly water. Try adding some dry gas to the tank too.

Wheelie
02-10-2002, 10:52 AM
Check the carb overflow/vent. Whenever you climb a steep hill or wheelie, this prevents fuel from leaving your float bowl and entering into your air filter/carb. If it's plugged, it will create the symptoms you're describing.

Good Luck!

02-10-2002, 12:56 PM
That is the conclusion that I had come to. Guy and I were talking and he said that I could adjust my floats so that they didn't close like that. I will have to try that, after I let the bike sit and allow the filter to fully dry (just in case).

Guy400
02-10-2002, 01:38 PM
You didn't drop a hammer down in the intake tube did you? I know how you and tools mix:D Just kidding!!

SGA
02-14-2002, 07:42 PM
Four stroke fan, did you get it running o/k? What was wrong with it?

"BLAHH"300!!
02-14-2002, 10:00 PM
....400ex...have a problem like this....it would run crazy if he let off the gas after getting on it..about to slow down and stop it would die...and walkin' wheelies it would bogg and he'd have to stop...same when up hills......ended up being some sort of cable around the carb area..i'll get with him and ask....he had to give it 1/3-1/2 throttle or nothing....

TRX250XFIRE
02-14-2002, 10:13 PM
My 250X does this to, when i ever climb a steep hill for a decent way, all of a sudden it just cuts out, then i come head over heals back down the hill cause i didnt have brakes on it till more then half way though the summer, do u think it could be my floats?? im no macanic so i dont know the first thing about them...thanks

"BLAHH"300!!
02-14-2002, 11:30 PM
....i've never had carb problems on my bike but here's what i hate...your almost out of gas and you hit a good jump...all the gas floats up in your tank and you hit the groung a gas it...(burrrrr)....get's a dry spot in your line and it stall a second before suckin' in more gas....

TRX250XFIRE
02-15-2002, 05:13 AM
i have a pipe that u can see down one end and out the outher, and i can all ways tell when im running low on petrol because fire starts to spit out the back when i let off the gas, i think its great cause when it is night time u can accuatly see the light from it when u r riding it. i still dont know what the heck is up with my carb though