PDA

View Full Version : Banshee problems-I'm stumped

ledofthezep
11-04-2003, 10:45 AM
Alright guys,...I'm stumped...my shee started this the last time I was at the dunes a couple weekends ago. 1st time since I've owned it that I've had any problems that weren't easily fixed. Shee starts & idles fine, revs ok until WOT,...then shee starts spitt'n & cough'n and won't completely rev out. I can leave it in neutral & hold the throttle wide open & shee revs up but spits & coughs out of both silencers.

Here's what I've done so far:
--cleaned air filter(only aprox 2hrs riding since cleaned last)-no luck

--checked plugs(looked fine, put new ones in anyway)-no luck

--unhooked torrs control assembly-no luck

--removed carbs(were clean, cleaned anyway, removed jets*270's at aprox 300' above sea level* & made sure they were clean)-no luck

--made sure carbs are exactly in sync with each other-no luck
**thnx for the help zephead400ex**

I haven't checked the compression yet, bro in law must have ran off with my checker...

I'm thinking about swapping coils with my '99 but haven't yet...

Anyone have any suggestions? Am supposed to be going to the dunes this weekend so I need to get this figured out asap or I'll be staying at home. Please help, I'm stumped...thanks in advance..

out4sand
11-04-2003, 12:21 PM
This may sound dumb but if you still have your parking brake on check to make sure it's adjust right. If it's out of wack it'll not let your shee rev

ledofthezep
11-04-2003, 12:54 PM
Oh yeah,...forgot to inlcude I don't have the parking break & stock perch anymore....I'm thinking it's a coil issue, will check there, & I guess take it to the stealership if I have to.:mad:

atl855
11-04-2003, 01:16 PM
their might =be a hidden fuse that is in the electrical system

Chanman420q
11-04-2003, 02:57 PM
maybe ur 2 lean... try a bigger main jet

ledofthezep
11-04-2003, 03:35 PM
I think you may be right,...am runnint 270's w/my mods at around 300' above sea level. BUT the only thing about that that gets me is shee was running like a striped arsed ape & then it was like someone flipped a switch & now shee's giving me fits. So I dunno, I know for sure that I'm a bit lean but I just can't figure out why all the sudden I'm having these problems. It was running fine all weekend until Saturday afternoon shee started to crap out. I thought it was the plugs at first,...but after changing them the problem still happens. So I dunno....I'm going to try swapping out the coil & see if that's the hangup. Thanks for the replies all...;)

Chanman420q
11-04-2003, 06:09 PM
is it colder out there? colder air is dencer so u should put the main jet up one size. Also jet for air leaks that could make it leaner. also make sure ur choke isnt on

bansheeguy77
11-05-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by out4sand
This may sound dumb but if you still have your parking brake on check to make sure it's adjust right. If it's out of wack it'll not let your shee rev

exactly what i was gonna say....i took mine off 1ce and it wouldnt rev hadda make sure that button was pushed down

ledofthezep
11-05-2003, 03:42 PM
Yeah,....the parking break was one of the 1st things to go...I'm still thinking it's the coil but haven't had time to mess with it. I do know that I need to rejet though. But the jetting isn't the cause because it was screaming & has been for months with the same jetting. I was riding when it started this crap, was like someone flipped a switch. THat's why at 1st I thought it was plugs, then though I had a jet clogged or something---neither were the case. I'll try swapping the coil with my '99's coil & see what happens. I'm not new to the banshee world so I have a pretty damn good knowledge base & technical ability with them...this is the 1st bump in the road I've ran into with my banshee that's made me scratch my head.:mad: Shat happens...:rolleyes:

AtvMxRider
11-05-2003, 04:03 PM
Do a compression check. Also check and make sure you haven't cracked a Reed petal.

86350x
11-06-2003, 01:10 AM
I am at the same elevation as you with a ported and piped shee, Run a k/n with no air box and 34mm flat slides, I'm running 350 mains.

Might sound stupid, but go up to a 330, try it out.

My boyesen reeds were warped (I also run rad valves), picked up new ones (stronger design now) they don't have a big split down the middle.

It's ran like a champ ever since. And I was having the same problem you were describing.

I think them stock carbs a poo. For your set up I'd save up for some 28mm flat slides, or lectrons.

AndrewRRR
11-06-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by ledofthezep
Shee starts & idles fine, revs ok until WOT,...then shee starts spitt'n & cough'n and won't completely rev out.

Sounds like your stator is going out. That's a telltale sign.

ledofthezep
11-06-2003, 02:39 PM
It's got a relatively new stator. OEM stator was put in probably about 15-20hrs of riding ago. I don't believe it's a stator problem...everytime I've seen or heard of a stator going out, just like when mine did shee ran fine, parked it & shee didn't start again until I replaced the stator--2 kicks later & shee was good to go.:confused: I'm going to play with the coil, check the reeds, & probably up a jet size or 2...