PDA

View Full Version : Adjust valves

pineway
11-04-2003, 05:26 AM
how often should valves be adjusted and how hard is it to do?

stupid driver
11-04-2003, 06:11 AM
adjust them when you start to hear an unusually loud ticking coming from your motor. Most motors always tick some, but you'll be able to hear the difference. i usually do mine every 4 oil changes, so about every 3 to 4 months. you probably dont need to do it this often, but oh well.

it is very easy to do. there is a very good write up on it in the tech section. here it is

http://www.exriders.com/techarticles/valves.html

dirtmomma
11-04-2003, 08:07 AM
YEP they are pretty darn easy to do at least on my 300ex anyway!! The 400 probably isn't a whole lot harder. I did mine cuz I bet they've NEVER been done & all I can say is WOW what a difference. Befroe my quad wouldn't idle until it was warm now I cna just go hit the start button & it fires right up w/o choke even!!! It runs much much better too!! I will be doing this one a schedule now, my brothers always told me how important it wass but never realized until we did it. good luck!!

pineway
11-04-2003, 12:08 PM
OK, its time i go out and do it then. thanks for the replies.

cals400ex
11-04-2003, 09:30 PM
go to the tech tips on this site and it will explain it there. the only thing i don't agree with is it says to have "slight" drag on the feeler guages. you need more than slight drag. it should be somewhat tight on the feeler guage. this made my valves quieter and made the bike quicker.

blingbling
11-05-2003, 01:06 PM
... just be careful not to drop the feeler gauge down into the motor like i did... or you'll be going fishing with a magnant for hours!...

Sportrax10
11-05-2003, 01:10 PM
Also, be very careful while tightening the valve caps back up. They break WAY to easy, and cost almost $20.