PDA

View Full Version : help need info on buying gaskets

IP400
11-03-2003, 06:10 PM
I recently bored my cylinder out to a 426 and now I need new gaskets the problem is I have heard some bad things about cometic gaskets. Is there a superior brand? And also everyone I have called has told me that they don't make a gasket for bored cylinders you just use the stock size. This doesn't make sense to me can any tell me where to find good top end gaskets at a good price, and if I really can use the stock size gaskets? Thanks

dirtmomma
11-03-2003, 06:14 PM
WE use Cometic & haven't had any problems, I just had my 300 bored also & as far as I know we didnt' order a special gasket for it. Now our blaster that we shaved the head on we had to go w/ a bigger gasket for that (thicker) & we got that thru Wiseco (cometic) I do believe. Have you checked out www.powroll.com??? Good Luck hope this helps some.;)

F-16Guy
11-03-2003, 10:04 PM
It's not so much the maker as it is the composition. Most people prefer to use a three piece steel laminated head gasket. They seem to hold up better with higher compression ratios, and they typically don't require a retorque after the first few heat cycles like a fiber gasket does. Cometic makes a steel laminate head gasket, but it costs a little more, and you have to request it specifically. The 89mm gasket should work good, with no overhang in your cylinder.

Quadaholic
11-03-2003, 10:13 PM
Cometic does actually make 87 and 88mm head gaskets. I just received mine last week. Ordered it and 2 days later found out that C&D had it in stock. Save yourself a headache and call them.

cals400ex
11-04-2003, 12:14 AM
yes, i am using the cosmetic flexsteel gasket without any problems with my 10.8 compression ross piston. i don't have a problem with the stock head studs or blowing gaskets.