PDA

View Full Version : New to Quads

parched_son
11-03-2003, 02:06 PM
Wife and I just purchased a new 250 EX. Anyone have any words of advice pertaining to care and maintenance? I do the basics on our street bikes (oil, plugs) but don't know anything about quads. What should you look for as far as high fail items? do the rims dent easily with moderate use? things like that I have no idea about.
Thanks in advance,
Jeff

MOFO
11-03-2003, 02:12 PM
Well since your new to quads I'm sure your not going to be wide open throttle with it most of the time. The 250EX is a very solid and reliable quad. Just keep the oil changed, and give the quad a good look over after you put it away.

Bent rims will happen with every stock quad... just depends on what you hit at certain speeds...

Have fun with your new toy!!

mxdave28
11-03-2003, 09:09 PM
Welcome to the quad family! have fun with your new purchase and please be safe and always wear a helmet! yea pretty much what MOFO said is about right, if a do bend a rim or something you can usually replace them with better quality rims for the same or a tad more price and will last longer.....keep the fluids changed and topped off, keep the air filter clean, and give the ol'e girl a bath when you done riding especially if your mudding!!! tear it down, like removing the plastic gas tank and such so ya can get all the mud off....and have fun!!! the pic below shows just how much fun riding can be weather its just woods or racing like me :D P.S. i've got about an hour so far in cleaning and part 2 starts tomorrow:(
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/p4d0cc01b8ac430c3de45c858e3b6033d/faa6d0a0.jpg

JOEX
11-03-2003, 09:37 PM
Welcome fellow NW'er, seems like there are more and more joining:)

I don't know much about the 250ex but general maintenance is all you relly need to do.

The stock rims are very strong but anything will bend if hit right (or wrong:p )

Have fun!

Joe

parched_son
11-05-2003, 09:48 AM
We are definitely excited about the sport. Coming off of street bikes doesn't lend much as there is no counter steering, etc. As far as helmets, we purchased Thor SVS's or something like that. They seem to be pretty strudy. When we went out the other day it was just us, so I was really digging the freedom. No cars, yellow line, or gravel to worry about. The speed wasn't bad, though I'd like to get a 400 EX next summer, and the jumping was fun. I live just out of Portland and the only place we've been so far is Jones Beach out in Claskanine (spelling), just past Columbia City.

AndrewRRR
11-05-2003, 12:21 PM
You'll have to join us out at Sandlake sometime! It's a blast and not far from portland.