PDA

View Full Version : carb problems

whatwasthat
11-03-2003, 12:48 PM
Well, first off, id like to say hello to my new friends at exriders:D
And now, i will go right into my troubles, ive had my stock carb apart on my 400 5 or so times now trying to figure out why it will overflow. Now, it does not always over flow, sometimes everything will work great, then other times, fuel will pour out of the overflow, and when it does, my motor runs like crap out of 1/4 or so throttle :huh . My needle and seta are in great condition and, when i put my carb back together, my float is always working correctly, no binding etc. So, anyone else as confused as i am?

Cannonball08
11-03-2003, 01:27 PM
Mine has done this before and ran like yours does. I would blow the seat out with compress air.

Colby@C&DRacing
11-03-2003, 01:55 PM
Clean the carb. If than does not fix it then I would replace the needle and seat. You can not adjust the float level on the stock 400ex carb so that is why you have replace the needle and seat.:)

Cannonball08
11-03-2003, 02:36 PM
How does the seat come out?

cals400ex
11-04-2003, 12:52 AM
in 2001 they rivised part of the float assembly. before this, they had problems with the carbs wanting to leak fuel out of the hose on the bottom of the carb. my friend was having problems with it leaking on hills and when doing wheelies. i know some may drip on when on a steep incline but his poured out as a stream and it would want to die. he put in a newer style float and its perfect now.

whatwasthat
11-04-2003, 06:35 PM
cals400ex, that is EXACTLY what mine is doing...so, i should just pick up a 2002 float?

cals400ex
11-04-2003, 08:52 PM
you know, i would go talk to your dealer or someone that knows exactly what they changed. your dealer should be able to look that up on their computer. my service manual just says with the 2001's and newer, a little tapping is required to get the float out where on the older ones it wasn't. that doesn't help much though. i think they changed how the float is mounted or something on the float. i am not positive, but i would find out what was changed before you go spending the cash. i think it was just the float but i don't want you to spend your money on that and then it being another part.

44oEX
11-05-2003, 08:40 AM
You don't have to change anything.

All you have to do is clean ( blow air ) in the hole where the big pin on the float are. ( the piece that goes up from the float and stops the fuel from coming in. It can look clean but if the carb over flows it's because the float don't come up all the way.

I now that cause it happend to me a few times.

So you don't have to change any seals or seats

cals400ex
11-05-2003, 09:18 AM
you may be right 440ex. i am not sure because i don't have a 2000 carb or older. i know they changed something because in my service manual it says the disassembly is slightly different on the 2001's and newer. also, the dealer told me they changed something with the float. good luck