PDA

View Full Version : New 250EX transmission noises?

jpconard
11-03-2003, 11:54 AM
I am new to ATVs but had bikes for years. I had a new 250EX out this weekend and I could hear clanking noises especially in the 4th and 5th gears when going slowly and then accelerating.

It sounds like transmission slop or possibly driveshaft?

It is only 1 week old, and I rode it easy on the first time out.

I rode another 250EX at this place (03) and I did not hear this noise.

Is this a normal noise?

MIKE400EX
11-03-2003, 01:35 PM
Even for not being broken in that doesn't sound good. Wife has one, as well as a neighbor (both 2001's) and both are very quiet.
Have your dealer check it out.

jpconard
11-03-2003, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the reply. I called the dealer tonight and of course, they couldn't listen to it without me leaving it there for a few days.

It even makes some noises while idling and when I shut it off. I noticed those immediately after purchasing when riding in the yard, but never got it into 4th & 5th gear until Sunday. It definitely sounds like the lower end, more so on the clutch side (front).

The dealer doesn't realize, I have a job, a new trailer to get going, licensed, etc. Everything closes at 4:30. Hell the thing is still muddy from Sunday. Like I have time to wash it, load it, and take it in while they are even open.

I bought a Honda for dependibility, and it will get ridden this weekend, even if it falls apart. Then they will just give me a new one.

Does anybody else have any suggestions? Could it just be a clutch adjustment? I'm tempted to adjust the clutch (should be similar to XR50 automatic clutch), but then the dealer would try to say I screwed it up.

MIKE400EX
11-04-2003, 06:48 AM
There's not much way that clutch can rattle. Adjustment is similar to the XR50's. Does it sound like it's coming from the cylinder or trans area?

jpconard
11-04-2003, 11:22 AM
It sounds like the transmission. Maybe tonight if I have time between working on the trailer, I'll wash it and change the oil and see if the oil looks OK.

I'm just fearing that they may have put something together wrong and it'll have to be tore apart.

Since I'll be out of town Sat. I may take it to a different dealer.

250exridder07
11-16-2003, 08:45 PM
i think i noe what ur talkin about i just bought my 250 about a month ago and i noticed it too..but it only happins when im in a high gear and low rpm's..i havent talkin mine in and its runnin great i think u should ride it and if it does fall apart well they probable fix it for near free.

ReconRider25
11-17-2003, 01:12 PM
i think i noe what ur talkin about i just bought my 250 about a month ago and i noticed it too..but it only happins when im in a high gear and low rpm's..

it makes that noise cuz your rpms arent high enough to pull that gear. just go faster.

BIGRED400
11-17-2003, 03:36 PM
That rattle noise is normal, my son had a brand new 1 , it did it from day 1 when you lug it in a higher gear....I think it has something to do with the rear end instead of chain...possible gear lash clearances....