PDA

View Full Version : Any good stories or pics from Land Between The Lakes?

exrider505
11-02-2003, 09:29 PM
I've got a couple stories and pics I will start posting tommorow.

03400EX_Nacs
11-24-2003, 03:37 PM
i know this is a lil old but i will post it anyway:D but when i got my 400ex right after i got it broke in that weekend we went ridin at lbl and we were out in the trails and i decide to hit this hill first cause i thought i had the best run but at the top i was s.o.l. it bogged down got on twop wheels and went right back to the bottom:( :( it took part of my heart away as i watched it roll down the hill

redrider69
12-10-2003, 06:10 PM
yea one time me and my friend were riding thru a field up there and we were flying he hit a whole and him and his quad went up flying he brokw his leg and i laughed t him

Out_Sider
12-10-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by redrider69
yea one time me and my friend were riding thru a field up there and we were flying he hit a whole and him and his quad went up flying he brokw his leg and i laughed t him

harsh dude...lmao :p

AlaskaSpeed
12-10-2003, 06:16 PM
;)

LazeR
12-12-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by redrider69

lmao well at least you were honest! What happend to his quad?

exrider505
12-17-2003, 07:16 PM
Before I got my 400ex I had a Kawasaki Prairie 300. I was going across the open field where the mud holes are on the Prairie probley around 45mph hit a rut, it shot me straight up in the air. My friend who was about 30 sec. behind me said all he saw was a big dust cloud and then my four-wheeler come flying out of it with no rider i was ok and so was my atv even though when i got up a couple min. later it was still rolling.

exrider505
12-17-2003, 07:20 PM
One time coming around a berm on the Prairie, me and a Warrior hit head on, dented my bumper, f'ed up his bumper, but still no injuries,:( just got racked.:(

exrider505
12-17-2003, 07:23 PM
Me on my 2002 Kawasaki Prairie 300.
http://hondabikers.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/lblmudpit.jpg

exrider505
12-17-2003, 07:25 PM
My uncle almost hit my cousin!!
http://hondabikers.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/brake.jpg

exrider505
12-17-2003, 07:28 PM
Rubicon Mudding.
http://hondabikers.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/hondaforeman.jpg
http://hondabikers.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/darylplowsthrough.jpg
http://hondabikers.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/pullinout.jpg

exrider505
12-17-2003, 07:31 PM
My 400ex after messing around in my backyard.
http://hondabikers.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/muddy6.jpg

markk
01-14-2004, 11:42 AM
im not a good story teller, but OMG those where some of the most point less stories i have even heard

Fast250EX
01-16-2004, 05:24 PM
I guess I'm a pretty good story teller so I'll share my experience.

The last trip to Kentucky Lake kicked some serious arse and I expected no less from this one. We made the 2 ½ hour trip with no problem and it was great to see the sight of the beautiful land again. The first thing we did was to drive down and ride by the boat dock. This area has a long trail that is partially asphalt but branches off into several much more difficult trails, all leading to the lake. One trail will lead you through muddy water to an endless destination. To get to these other trails you must cross a section of the lake with water deep enough to cover up your headlight. It was easily navigated by both of our reliable Honda rigs (250EX and 300 Fourtrax). There was a huge island in the middle of the lake. It was made up of peat gravel and stones. It was fun trying to hold it wide open out there but it was practically impossible. Once you got to 5th gear it was unmanageable, but fun nonetheless.
The next day we headed to the widely talked about and abusive Turkey Bay OHV park, a trail system with over 100 miles of trails. This place was downright amazing and scary. We found ourselves on top of huge hills looking down at deep valleys. We even went on one trail that took us so high that it was just amazing. Mud holes were there as well and these were the types of holes that looked shallow until you entered them and discovered the bottom was very soft. One mud hole that should have only came halfway up the wheels ended up just under my spark plug. My favorite part of the place, however, was the track. It was like a GNCC track since it was in the woods but with a bit more MX style thrown into it with jumps and stuff. It was five, yes FIVE, miles long and had high berms to throw up some serious roost and let you hold the corners wide open. The first lap around there I went as fast as I could up this steep hill (I was in the middle of fourth I guess) and realized that if you took it too fast it became a large jump. Well, I wish I had a picture of the good 7-8 feet of air I caught cause it was incredible!! Luckily, it was a tabletop style jump and I landed perfect on the down sloped landing. It landed just as cushy as if I had done a 2 feet tall flat landing. It felt just amazing! I loved it. The entire track was wonderful. Toward the 4 mile mark, it was just flat ground but it was curvy with loose soil. You have not lived until you have done a power slide in 5th gear wide open. It just gives you an unexplainable rush. I simply cannot wait for the next trip down there and I wish I could just get a friend or 2 to go with me with their stuff next time so I can spread the enjoyment.

remlapr
01-16-2004, 05:52 PM
I dont know if there is really a defined track there, I guess you are probably talking about going up across from the cementary to the top by the big mud holes then going right and coming back out by the entrance? I love trying to rail those berms, but I'm always worried there is going to be someone coming the other way railing it, that's why I don't lead :devil: The jumps are awesome coming down the hill. There is one that you could double if you had the ballz, but you would have to slam brakes and pray when you landed. I good MX rider could probably handle it, it's only 25 feet, but it just set's up kind of hairy, and the jumps are only about 5-6ft tall, but downhill. I accidently hit the first one two hard and landed right into the face of the second one whick threw me back up in the air with me half over the bars and I landed front wheels first. I didn't go over though.

LBL is awesome for finding different hill areas to play around on. Overall it's my favorite place to ride, even over Hatfield McCoy. I just wish they would put in some shower houses. Our club, kentuckyriders.com has been told that within 5 years it will either be closed or fixed up with shower houses and everything, just depends if the eco freaks can get it shut down or not - hopefully not.

marksuttonjr
01-19-2004, 05:28 AM
I go to LBL a lot. Usualy at least 1 time per month. I like playing on the hills with my 2001 Rancher. I do not climb many on my R, but I have amazed a few people on both quads. With the R I try staying on the climbs that are nearly straight up and only 15-20 feet tall. If it has tracks on it and I have seen it my Rancher has climbed it down there. I show people up prety good on that hill rite next to the silo every time I am there. That hill is nothing, but there is always someone who can not ride attempting it and failing. Thats when I climb it, go back down then climb it in reverse. The climbing in reverse is usualy what pisses off the guys that just faild. I have a few pics from LBL in the link thats in my sig. Not many are from LBL, but a few are.

redrider69
01-19-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by LazeR
[B What happend to his quad? [/B]

broke the bars abd mest up the plastic all the way around it wasnt real mest up

SSRedRider
01-19-2004, 06:43 PM
There is one trail down there I hit every time there, well several times a day. Its the numbers trail. It starts at the last intersection before the lake. It has a number "1" on the tree. You can follow it around until it comes out at just past the guard shack at the water house, where it has number "9" on the pole. It is almost 6 1/2 miles long. It has 95 jumps in it ranging from 2' to 5'. some are in the middle of hills, step ups. Its a blast.

I was running full out on a 300ex and was in the middle of a jump and was looking behind me and hit the side of the trail and end oed a couple of times with the bike landing on my ankle and breaking it. I had left my riding boots at home that weekend. Lesson learned.

nikejoe
01-21-2004, 08:43 PM
remlapr

Our club, kentuckyriders.com has been told that within 5 years it will either be closed or fixed up with shower houses and everything, just depends if the eco freaks can get it shut down or not - hopefully not.

I was at LBL Late last summer and the park ranger, that comes around to make sure you have paid to camp, was a real Arse!!!
WE had been camped in the same place for 2days and the third day the ranger came and started tellin us how we were camping out of bounds, and we had to be careful about how we treated the land because they were in danger of being closed. I don't know what his deal was but he stood there for 15 minutes talking about minimizing our impact on the land???? What kind of hippie SH#T is this???? Once we showed him where the boundry went right behind us with the GIGANTIC GRAY stripes on the trees he realized we were in bounds, but kept talking about minimizing our impact ???? I hope they do not close it!! It's got to be one of the BIGGEST and BEST places around!!!
:devil: :macho :devil:

SSRedRider
01-22-2004, 03:20 AM
Since the TWA took over the control they have been a**holes. The last time I was there over Thanksgiving weekend they had chilled out. Might be because it was the end of the year and not that many people was there. But they told me the same thing. I have been going down there for about 7 years and they told me the same thing then. They haven't shut it down yet. I sure hope they don't it such a great place to get away and ride.

marksuttonjr
01-25-2004, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by SSRedRider
Since the TWA took over the control they have been a**holes. .

Only time I ever had any trouble with them there were 17 of us soo drunk we could barely stand up, running the generator, playing the music loud, throwing everything that we could find in a rather large fire , and shooting a tater gun at 3AM while camping rite by the cemetary sign. We should have all gone to jail, but they just yelled at us for about 5 min.
I would say that they are prety cool.

Fast250EX
01-31-2004, 01:29 PM
The track that I was talking about was the one with the numbers. Since it is so insanely easy to follow, I pretty much consider it a track.

The guy you get the yellow thing you wrap around your bars was a total prick to me and my dad. He had the "I-hate-my-f***ing-job" look on his face.

I was totally lost until we met this older feller that drove around on a full-option green Yamaha Kodiak. He was really nice and took time to show us around on the trails (taking us by the silo and telling us the story behind it). He has been riding on the trails ever since he was just a kid (which was probably very many years). He said that most of the problems there are caused by dirt bikes and especially buggies. Most of the ATV riders were fairly level headed.

Chances are that someone else may have met this man. He wears a chili-bowl style helmet (like a skateboard one but flat around the rim rather than curvy).

Overall the place was awesome but since it was my first trip and I had my slow dad along, it was a little over whelming.

I most certainly will go back. Nothing like the thrill of kicking it sideway wide open in 5th gear. :D

marksuttonjr
02-19-2004, 07:26 AM
What is the story behind the Silo? I never heard anything about it. Just knew it was there. The area around the silo is my favorite part of the trails. I always show people up on the climb that is rite beside it. Every time there I get some idiot that can't climb trying it. I've seen several quads tumble back down that little thing, and several more get stuck down at the curve.

SSRedRider
02-19-2004, 08:27 AM
We was camping there last July 4th. I had my family there. Two daughters and 6 grandkids from age 2 to 15. They would ride by the camp and jump us for one of the kids not putting their pop cans in the trash. Its was not like we wasn't watching the kids, we was. But appently one had threw a can on the ground behind the camper and we didn't see it. They pulled over and gave us a 10 minute lecture on how we will have to watch the kids better and that if they found anymore cans or trash they could make us leave. I thought that this was just picking on us. I almost went off on the guy. One sticking pop can that was out of sight of us. Thats BS. And then threatning to throw us out. It was not the case that the whole camp was littered, it was not. They had the nerve to stop and complain about one can. Everytime we camp and break it down to leave we move the vechiles and pick up everything that is there, weather we put it there or not. I was back there again over labor day weekend and they had let up alot. I was there this time with 3 buddies and we was drinking and having fun. We was throwing the empties into a pile and then picking them up after there was a few there. If they ever come back and jump me like they did over the 4th of july, there will be hell to pay. I paid my fees and did everything we was susposed to, minus one can. If they are going to be that picky I will take my family somewhere else. WE have been going to Turkey bay over the fourth of July for 6 or 7 years. I hate to go somewhere else, but they are not going to jump my family like that over one stinking can. Whew I am glad that this is over. :grr:

raptorrider
02-19-2004, 04:59 PM
They can controll the land however they choose, its thier land in a sence.

The best time I can remember in my 20+ visits to LBL, has to be watching an older guy in a rail climbing hills. An old grey haired, and beared man, in an orange buggy. I have seen him there 4-5 times now. He will line up with the hill, pull out a smoke, light it, take a few quick, hard hits, throw it out, rev the engine, and dump the clutch. The first time I saw him, he was trying a hill no body else could make (ruts were to deep). He tried 3 or 4 times, each time, doing his "ritchual" at the begining of the hill.

Memorial day weekend is the weekend to visit LBL if you only go one weekend. Party central. Alcohol seems to be ok with the Rangers, as long as you dont carry it out of your campsite. They were giving tickets to people ($50) for carrying alcohol across the camping area. One guy that was with us went to the store and was pulled over. He was drunk. The worst part was he didnt have his lisence on him. The cops (park rangers) let him go, told him to just go back to his campsite and have someone else drive him. So I think the rangers are actually pretty cool.

raptorrider
02-19-2004, 04:59 PM
They can controll the land however they choose, its thier land in a sence.

The best time I can remember in my 20+ visits to LBL, has to be watching an older guy in a rail climbing hills. An old grey haired, and beared man, in an orange buggy. I have seen him there 4-5 times now. He will line up with the hill, pull out a smoke, light it, take a few quick, hard hits, throw it out, rev the engine, and dump the clutch. The first time I saw him, he was trying a hill no body else could make (ruts were to deep). He tried 3 or 4 times, each time, doing his "ritchual" at the begining of the hill.

Memorial day weekend is the weekend to visit LBL if you only go one weekend. Party central. Alcohol seems to be ok with the Rangers, as long as you dont carry it out of your campsite. They were giving tickets to people ($50) for carrying alcohol across the camping area. One guy that was with us went to the store and was pulled over. He was drunk. The worst part was he didnt have his lisence on him. The cops (park rangers) let him go, told him to just go back to his campsite and have someone else drive him. So I think the rangers are actually pretty cool.

400excaleb
03-26-2006, 03:13 PM
Iknow that this is a pretty old post but i'll tell my story anyways,

Well, i was up there last year on my birthday. we had a 2 day triped planned. my step dad was ridin his three wheeler and some other people and me on 400ex's. so we climbed hills all day and some of the hill we wrecked on we could have been seriously hurt on but we wernt. it was about the end of the day and we were playing in the mud and then it started to get dark. we headed back to the truck and we stoped by the creek to wash off. well you know what we did , we hit the water on our quads. then my step dad hit the water so fast on his 3 wheeler that it injected him 10-20 yards from where he was and broke his sholder. took him to the doctor and missed our 2 day of ridin. he hit the water so fast it blew a hole in the tire big enough to stick my finger in it and. I guess the party they threw me that day was pretty cool i guess, ( i couldnt remember half of it).:rolleyes:

miller821
03-26-2006, 04:15 PM
First time I was there me my dad and my bro were on dirtbikes, with two other people with dirtbikes, and some more with quads... Well were sitting back at camp while one of the other person on his dirtbike was riding on that long strip that is all rocks... Well this guy comes back with him on back ( the kid was probably 12) and he was drenched.... So we find out that he was riding his kx and hit a water hole and went into it end over end... So they stood his bike up and water just came out, and his dad got onto him like no other...... But later his dad almost does the same thing..... I just wish I would of saw him wreck..

LBL is awesome place to ride, I dunno if you guys are talking about the bulldozer trail, but that one is awesome to ride.

400excaleb
10-04-2006, 02:51 PM
i was up there a couple months ago and i was climbing a hill and has half way to the top and a Squirrel ran into my path and i ran it over. not many people can say they ran a squirrel over with there 4 wheeler

c.mcd
10-08-2006, 10:06 PM
im takin the 2 1/2 hour trip down there tommarow the 9th.....its pretty fun downthere