View Full Version : whats the difference?

cabex
11-02-2003, 04:48 PM
ok i am thinking of getting a set of elka shocks w/o rezys and i was wondering what the major difference would be if i get them set up for trails or mx. i do trails, but i also like to jump alot, if i were to get the trail shocks would they still be good for mx?

Black400
11-02-2003, 06:09 PM
get them set up for mx.. they are pretty much just stiffer... if i were you just save up like i did and get rezzies and compression adjust then you can adjust them for what you are riding...mx or trails:o

Silverfox@C&DRacing
11-02-2003, 06:15 PM
I ride mx and trails and I got my Elkas set up for mx. they were good for trails until I rode on a set of xc shocks (boy that was a plush ride) I would not want that for mx so I would have them set for mx

wilkin250r
11-03-2003, 06:00 PM
It's usually a compromise. If you get them set up for trials, you can still jump with them, but they will bottom out easier. It may not be a big deal if you're not jumping 30ft doubles.

If they are set up for MX, they will be a little stiffer on the trails, but they will still be much better than your stock shocks.

As for rezzies, when you ride and work your shocks, the oil in them heats up. When it does, it becomes thinner, and you don't get as much performance out of your shock. Basically, the performance of your shocks fade the longer you ride them.

External rezzies add more damping oil, and help keep it cool, so the performance of your shocks stay consistent. If you go on long trail rides, I recommend saving a little longer for the rezzies. Otherwise, you'll bounce yourself to bits by the end of your long trail rides.

4wheelboy
11-03-2003, 07:06 PM
when the oil cools do the shocks return to normal:confused:

416exmx
11-03-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by 4wheelboy

yeah, only if you put them in the freezer for a few hrs.:D

haha, couldnt resist, yeah they will be the same after they cool

cabex
11-03-2003, 08:45 PM
if i get works shocks w/o rezys can i get rezzys latter?

Sportrax10
11-03-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by cabex
Yea, im pretty sure you can.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
11-04-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by cabex

You can add them later but it is cheaper to do it the first time I think works want $250 to add rezzys

bradley300
11-04-2003, 08:17 AM
you can get elka to compromise, not sure how they figure a fromula, but rico's are st up for 75%xc, 25% mx

wilkin250r
11-04-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by 4wheelboy

Yes.

There are two aspects to shocks. The first and most obvious is the spring(s). When you compress a spring, it pushes back. The resistive force depends on how far you compress. The more you compress, the harder it pushes back. Pretty obvious.

The second aspect is damping, which is controlled by the valving in the shock. When you compress a shock, it pushes oil through a stack of washers. Picture it in your mind. Unlike the springs, the resistive force of the damping is not based on how FAR you compress, but rather how FAST you compress. The faster you try to push oil through those washers, the harder it will resist.

The stock shocks are set up so that you get the proper damping when the shocks are slightly warm. By the physical properties of liquids, as they get hotter, they get thinner (increased viscosity). Working the shocks, and pushing the oil back and forth through those washers will heat them up. When the oil in the shock gets really hot, it is really easy to push though the stack of washers because it is really thin, so you don't get as much damping.

What you are left with is just the springs. Your shocks are just little pogo sticks. When you hit a bump, they'll still compress, but then they will "bounce". Basically, without the damping, the shocks don't really "absorb" the bump. The springs take it, but then they bounce and give that bump right back to you.

Obviously, when the oil/shock tempurature returns to normal, the viscosity of the oil will also return to normal.