PDA

View Full Version : how reliable is your 440?

capecod400ex
11-02-2003, 03:53 PM
Hey dose any one have a 440 with a stage 2 hot cam , can u give me feed back on how reliable it is cause some one told me today that if u run to agresive of a cam it will mess up the valve seats witch arnt replacble on the 400ex i gess ,so this person says, can any bodie tell me if they have had problems with the 400ex motor runing these mods. :cool: :D

capecod400ex
11-03-2003, 05:03 PM
ahh any buddy???

GlamisEXRider
11-03-2003, 05:06 PM
I have had no problems with mine you just need to change your oil often. I have been running 2 years now with no problems.

capecod400ex
11-03-2003, 05:08 PM
yea that sounds good, cuase he said it would only last about 6 mounths

capecod400ex
11-03-2003, 05:10 PM
sorry i hit enter , and i dont wanna have to be reping it down all the time , but i dont think i told him it was a hot cam not anouther one but thanks for the input.

pnut420
11-03-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by capecod400ex
ahh any buddy???

If you are going to do it, call FDO or one of the reputable companies and tell them you want to build a "reliable" motor, not to crazy. As far as aggresive cams go, most of the aggresive cams are hardened and you have to pay around $250 to have the rockers hardened also or they will be shot. The hotcam stage 2 cam is a complete bolt on, they had a problem with a small batch of the hotcams, but it has been fixed for a long time now.

Also when you do a 440 big bore kit, the tend to blow headgaskets here and there, but as long as you change the oil frequently and air filter "every time", and make sure your gaskert isnt blown it should last 2 years or better.

Steven
11-03-2003, 08:35 PM
No problems after 1 year of hard riding and no cam/rocker wear.
I love my Hotcams! It runs close to my yfz.

The Hotcams stege 2 is not an "agressive" cam though.

It is however a good "drop in" cam that won't need rocker or valve guide modification.

Steve

PATTE440
11-03-2003, 09:43 PM
After blowing seven head gaskets i have had no trouble. you will need to change oil after every race but i did that with a stock motor. The reason i blew all them head gaskets wasw dowl pins after using a grinder on them to make them fit everything was fine. with the larger sleeve instaled the dowl pins did not fit great and would hold the head up. you may want to think about a oversized oil tank to help cool the oil cuz you will get a lot more heat. mine will hang with a YFZ great and raptors.

440ex hot cam stage 2 port and polish LRD full exhaust

Crawl69
11-04-2003, 10:24 AM
What compression are you guys running? I just bought a 440 kit and was wondering if it was worth getting the oversize head studs.