PDA

View Full Version : ok now what

Foxyangel0425
11-02-2003, 02:53 PM
i got the hmf slip on installed and put th e jet they recommend and the 300 would not start, backfired alot. reinstalled stock jet and the quad starts but it still backfires some before it starts. i ran it all day today trail riding and it ran good, loaded up a little after it idled for a few minutes but cleared up. do i need a differnt heat range spark plug maybe. any idea why it backfires when i try to start it.

2001400ex
11-02-2003, 03:00 PM
It could be because it's cold out and you have to choke it? I have to do that with mine and let my 400 warm up because of my slip-on, let yours warm up a few minutes before you ride, see if that helps

Foxyangel0425
11-02-2003, 03:07 PM
it backfires when its cranking before it starts. after it starts its ok. its getting it to start that is th problem

hondafox440
11-02-2003, 03:09 PM
Backfiring is a trait of lean jetting. If it is backfiring in the lower part of the RPM range (like when starting), richen the needle one notch. If that doesn't fix it, richen the pilot jet one size.

2001400ex
11-02-2003, 04:29 PM
Looks like I need to richen mine too, I'm guessing HMF gives you the directions too lean? Guess I'm gonna have to do that before I go to Englishtown now.:rolleyes:

EDIT: Now that I think about it, my quad only backfires when I give it some gas when I'm in neutral, when I hit the gas it will backfire, but after a minute to two minutes it's fine, should I still go down one notch?

redrunner
11-02-2003, 05:24 PM
Did you move the needle? HMF instructions say to move it up one notch. I did a thread with 300exkid last month on this procedure. I just did mine this summer on a 2003 and I guess I hit it first try and only had to adjust fuel/air screw after it was warm. And you as stated these things are cold blooded and you have to let it warm up with this free flowing pipe. Less engine heat at first.
Let us know what happens from there. Buy the way where in OH. I am up by Cleveland, and yes MOFO GO Browns!

Foxyangel0425
11-02-2003, 06:19 PM
where is the thread about tuning. we live south east of cleveland.

redrunner
11-02-2003, 08:05 PM
Look on pg 7 now of this forum with a 10/21/03 date to lil300exkid. No big deal I just ran through the description on how to get the needle out to make the clip adjustment, it was just fresh in my mind at the time. I am no expert but it was simple enough.
I saw your post in rides, where is this Big Bear located. I have been to WNF once, is that close. I was looking to go to either Hatfield with our club or something different, depending on weather.

Fast61Falcon2
11-02-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by redrunner
Look on pg 7 now of this forum with a 10/21/03 date to lil300exkid. No big deal I just ran through the description on how to get the needle out to make the clip adjustment, it was just fresh in my mind at the time. I am no expert but it was simple enough.
I saw your post in rides, where is this Big Bear located. I have been to WNF once, is that close. I was looking to go to either Hatfield with our club or something different, depending on weather.

check out http://www.homestead.com/seatvclub/ for directions and places to ride in ohio. Bear Creek is about a 1 hr ride. Its in Canton. WNF is about a 3/4 hr ride for us. :(