PDA

View Full Version : should i see good gains...?

zoom400ex
11-01-2003, 09:29 PM
right now i have a pretty much stock 400ex besides: e series slip-on, uni filter, header welds are ground out, and then just rejetted my carb.

What my intentions of doing this winter is a 426 kit. Ross piston at i believe 10.8-1 compression, hotcam stage 2, and some port and polish work............ I was wondering with this kit if i would see a significant increase in power, and possible keep up better with those new machines coming out? any input would help.... thanks

ridesa02400EX
11-01-2003, 09:33 PM
you will see some siginificant gains but you have to be able to use all that power go with a good suspension set up first then go with building the engine power is usless unless it can be handled and i heard to do porting but dont polish on a 4 stroke

JOEX
11-01-2003, 09:41 PM
Like ridesa02400EX said, suspension is what they say to do first to make the best use of the power you have. I'm in the midst of it right now.;)

From what I have read, port polishing is good for the exhaust but not for the intake.

The set up you described seems to be the most popular way to go except for going to a 426. Most will say to go to the 416 so if something were to happen to the cylinder you have one more bore available before having to resleeve.

Joe

CC Rider
11-01-2003, 10:24 PM
Yea I see a lot of guys that say suspension first, but I disagree. Supension wont make you quicker, power will!! I ride sand dunes mostly and wouldnt trade the power for anything, but i have recently experienced some MX and my stock suspension beat me to death.So unless you only ride MX and cant hang with the hard handling that comes with it, then maybe you would want to consider shocks, Otherwise the bore and cam is the way to go, you wont be disappointed in it ,trust me!:D

drummer-on-a-EX
11-02-2003, 05:27 AM
Do the suspension first, I mostly ride the dunes, pretty aggresively, the power from the 426 is great but when your hitting the whoops, hitting the bottom of a bowl or jumping the crest, there is nothing better than a good suspension, just my 2 cents.
Drummer

AtvMxRider
11-02-2003, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by CC Rider
Supension wont make you quicker, power will!!

In a straight line no but everywhere else it will. If you ride strickly dunes I would say go ahead with motor mods. but if you trail ride or race at all definetly go with suspension before any motor mods.

hawiianpwr
11-02-2003, 01:40 PM
Yeah I agree also. Get the suspension done first before you do your motor mods. I have to disagree with CC Rider. You can go faster with suspension. The suspension is what keeps the tires on the ground and helps you keep the quad in control. Its like night and day between the stock and aftermarket suspension. You can rider faster and in more control over the same guy with stock suspension.
Go for the suspension you'll be satisfied!:)